Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of evdience case for chiro as against other treatments

http://apgaylard.wordpress.com/2009/...for-scoliosis/

I don't know this guy's background and he is not a medical doctor but he seems to have grasped the literature as far as I can tell. I'm guessing he is some type of researcher.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

http://apgaylard.wordpress.com/about/

He is a physicist and engineer. Scoliosis is outside his field but if you read the article, he seems to have come up to speed. That said, I think this material should be vetted by a surgeon or researcher so take with a grain of salt.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

AARRRGGHH!! Snubbed again. I guess I shouldn't really complain since any reference to our study would just talk about how it was small and wasn't controlled. Although we do supply at least 8-12 months of follow-up for most patients and 12-48 months on a handful of patients. We also worked really hard on the discussion and explanation of our results. Oh well...

At any rate, an interesting read and makes a nice point
      I would really like to see them showing some modesty and limiting their claims to helping people to feel better; as opposed to actually making people better.
      Also, I had a similar critique about the Morningstar 2004 paper which says that manipulation should be a part of every patient protocol. I forget the actual quote, but it's even something a bit more odd like "Even though manipulation might not be effective for every patient, we still feel it should be a part of the training regimen for every patient". I've certainly shown my zealotry for strength training being a component of any exercise based training protocol. But I can also point to strength weaknesses in AIS which are eliminated after training plus basic muscle physiology showing how muscles adapt to strength training. Manipulations OTOH... not so much. I'll say again though, that I really enjoy that article's (Morningstar 2004) discussion section and description of the neuromuscular control of the paraspinal muscles.

Comment

Working...
      X