SI Joint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lue View Post
    Hi, I was fused at L5-S1, May, very successful, about 2 years ago I was told it does not fuse well, but when I asked the Dr. at Johns Hopkins that, he said they fuse that joint all the time, I had revision surgery in May and June, I have no pain and can stand upright without support. Lu
    Hi...

I think you may be confusing S1 with SI. The SI joint is a soft tissue space between the sacrum and the ilium. L5-S1 fusion is a relatively common surgery. SI fusion is pretty rare, mostly because it's largely unsuccessful.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

i doubt Anand would be backing off...he told me 2 years ago he ONLY believes in using minimally invasive approach..for all scoli surgery for ALL age patients...
      2 years ago i spoke on the phone to 2 of his patients...both were over 60, both were very pleased with their results...
      one was 2 years out of surgery, the other 4 years out...i am not calling that "long term results"...just a start

jess

Comment

Originally posted by hdugger
        I thought Anand was promoting its effectiveness in older patients. Has he backed off that claim?
        Well, I don't know if he's backed off, but he definitely admitted that patients with stiff curves were not good candidates for MIS.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda, I guess you are right about S1 & SI joint, I don't know for sure, I do know my tail bone still hurts since May. Lu

Comment

well, then he has changed his mind in the last year or two...
            the patients i spoke to were older...well above 60...one said she had osteopenia...
            i also have osteopenia and Anand told me he thought that was no problem...

i actually spoke to a third patient of his 6 months later...she was 70 years old...

i do not know who...whom...he would be ruling out....
            maybe those with full osteoporosis....?
            he very clearly told me ALL patients, any age, were good candidates for his MI procedures....
            bar none....
            so something has changed his mind since then....
            perhaps less than satisfactory results...?

he said he did not do "open" surgeries any more...
            very adamant that he felt it was old fashioned to do so!!!
            i discussed the consult and Anand's comments later with an east coast surgeon,
            who smiled when i told him about the conversation...

jess
            Last edited by jrnyc; 10-30-2011, 01:28 PM.

Comment

SI Joint and prolotherapy

Anybody had heard or had any experience in the use of prolotherapy for the treatment of pain and instability in SI joint?

Comment

Working...
              X