What is the average hospital stay and use of a walker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filter

I assume he either had an issue or knew someone who did. Seriously I have a puncture would like a screwdriver size. And i wasn't out and it hurt. I am purple for about 5 inches everywhere around that and now it is bruising to my ribs. Until a few years ago I guess they were all perm. I just know that them doing that type of puncture at my neck while the fish that out of my jugular and not being out isn't something I would do well with. I couldn't walk the day after and it is causing me not to go to the gym because of the pain. Been different. I know the FDA has issues with the filters because they can break and a prong can get to your heart- I'm thinking the removal could cause me to have a heart attack. I'm usually pretty good with things but that got me. Wasn't exactly how it was explained to me.

Comment

Poker

Well Ed at least you had your priorities right. I'm sure you wished you were going to play poker. And I have been strapped down before. Lol. I'm pretty sure I have a very similar picture of me at one of my hospital visits. I really dislike medical facilities of any kind.

Comment

Kayde

I too, was afraid of hospitals and very jumpy on my first surgery. (Laser lithotripsy for kidney stone). I was cracking many many jokes......fiddling with the tackle box is serious stuff.

Since I made it through that one, (and yes it’s a delicate procedure), when I walked in for my scoli surgeries, I wasn’t as scared. I was scared, just not as much. When my vascular surgeon said that we have a very long day and installed the IV in the top of my wrist in .09 seconds, I was impressed. This guy was serious, no playing around if you know what I mean.

By the time I had my broken shoulder repaired, I wasn’t nervous at all. Same for my Gall bladder removal.

I could walk in now, and not worry much.....I think that education is important, and knowing exactly what to expect. Things are always difficult when you don’t know....Have confidence in the people that are working on you, after all, they are professionals.

Many of the old posters here have seen that picture I just posted of me.....I just had to post it one more time. LOL

And the “full” scoli brace....that’s a new one:- ) Talk about heat!

Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
          10 days, but they wanted to keep me. I was tired of playing Doctor:-) I only remember the last 4 days.

I didn’t want anyone to come down while I was in ICU, but they came and I heard about it later. I guess I was standing next to my bed, with many hoses hooked up, and when asked what I was doing, I replied, “I’m going down town, to play poker”.

I pretty much lost a week and don’t remember much while in ICU. When I woke, I was tied down because I was pulling hoses.

Here is a pic of me in the hospital.....and a pic of my “full” scoliosis brace.
          Ed
          LOL! :-D I'm dying, Ed! What a great way to start my day, with laughter!

Warmly,
          Doreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

IVC filter removal

Kayde,

I am sorry to hear that you are so scared of the IVC filter removal. I would like to try and put your mind at ease about the removal, because it is generally quite simple and routine, and only takes a few minutes. I work in a Cath Lab and we put in and remove IVC filters routinely. The filter is shaped sort of like an umbrella, and it is withdrawn gently back into a cone-shaped retrieval device which folds the prongs back down. The size sheath we use is 2 mm in diameter, very small. Not sure what happened to make you so bruised last time, but I would talk to the radiologist about it when you arrive for the removal and tell him it was uncomfortable for you.

I have never seen or heard of a prong breaking off. The removal will definitely not lead to your having a heart attack (that is from a blocked coronary artery--no where near the IVC filter even if it did manage to break and float upstream). I would make sure they plan to give you procedural sedation so you are very relaxed and sleepy, and tell them it hurt when they put it in. The doctor can give you more local anesthetic and it really should not hurt.

Good luck,

Originally posted by Kayde View Post
            I assume he either had an issue or knew someone who did. Seriously I have a puncture would like a screwdriver size. And i wasn't out and it hurt. I am purple for about 5 inches everywhere around that and now it is bruising to my ribs. Until a few years ago I guess they were all perm. I just know that them doing that type of puncture at my neck while the fish that out of my jugular and not being out isn't something I would do well with. I couldn't walk the day after and it is causing me not to go to the gym because of the pain. Been different. I know the FDA has issues with the filters because they can break and a prong can get to your heart- I'm thinking the removal could cause me to have a heart attack. I'm usually pretty good with things but that got me. Wasn't exactly how it was explained to me.
            Gayle, age 50
            Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
            Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
            Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
            2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
            2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
              You didn't use yours much, did you? Perhaps I can borrow yours :-) I have not forgotten about planning a lunch date.

Warmly,
              Doreen
              Sorry, Doreen! My house is packed and I was sick of looking at the walker so I donated it to the local coop.
              Yep, let me know about lunch. Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Hope you are doing well!
              50 years old!!!!!
              Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
              Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
              Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
              Surgery 07/11/2011
              Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

Filter

Idk Gayle I really thought I would be asleep or almost asleep. Not even close. My groin area still swollen. The next day it had a lump the size of a goose egg and I couldn't walk. I haven't been to the gym all week because I am still so sore. Idk that I could stand them to remove that from my neck and have the puncture wound and swelling. I know they want me to have it removed in six weeks but not sure I can stand it. I still have two other minor procedures before year end and the thought of having the filter removed is by far the thing that causes me anxiety.

Comment

I was in the hospital for 8 days. My surgery was in two stages. I was moved to a rehab hospital for 4 more days. I'd really recommend going to a rehab place if you can. They did a great deal more to teach me about how to function in the next few weeks and months, rather than just lying there as I was in the hospital.

I was on Norco for about 2.5 months, but the last .5 month, I only took one or two a day when I needed one, rather than keeping up any kind of a schedule.

I came home with a wheelchair and a walker, but never used the wheelchair, and used the walker for only a couple of days.

And, I'm still wearing a brace, but only when I am driving or in a store, or walking where it would be easy to trip and fall. My doctor seems to be very conservative about his recommendations, which is fine with me. He said it was ok to move away from using it about a month ago, except for when I'm in the car, so I don't wear it unless I'm tired at home, or doing something like sorting laundry that requires a bit more movement from me than most of the other things I do. I did not have to wear it to sleep ever. It looks like this:
                  http://www.braceshop.com/productcart...sis-21p150.htm I actually like having it to wear when shopping etc because I think it makes people a little more careful around me than they would be otherwise. It also makes me feel safer.
                  Diagnosed at age 13
                  Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
                  Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
                  Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
                  Post surgery 26 degrees
                  Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

I had asked about bracing before my surgery. I think it depends upon the surgeon. Dr. Lenke usually doesn't brace any more. I was more than willing to wear a brace but was told that the instrumentation that is now used has improved to secure the vertebrae and that the muscles will get stronger sooner if a brace is not used. I know some have mentioned that it was difficult to wean off of a brace. I guess it's all what your surgeon prefers.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                      LOL! :-D I'm dying, Ed! What a great way to start my day, with laughter!

Warmly,
                      Doreen
                      Glad you liked that one! I figured that the “stormtrooper” pic would be good for a laugh.

I also had another pic, equally as funny that I was considering using. Talk about support! LOL It was Henry VIII’s armor....When you are king, you get the best!
                      Attached Files
                      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

2 weeks

Hi, I was in hospital for two weeks but that was only because my bowel stopped for so long (Ileus). That was the worst part and if ever I did it again I would enquire how to avoid it as a priority. I used a walker to go to the toilet the first few days. I didn't like them fumbling with my back to try and get on a bed pan. When I got home I was fine to walk up the road unaided and recovery has been quick since then. The fatigue gets to me still after 2 1/2 months so I feel like I need more TLC than I get. People keep telling me how well I look, however I think then they think I'm better than I really am. Having said that for the last few weeks I have grocery shopped on my own, yes with the trolley. I can stack the dishwasher etc, bending from the knees more. Hope I'm not pushing it...but it feels ok. Just need more energy and a trip on a luxury cruiseliner...any offers?
                        Kelly
                        Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
                        49 yrs
                        55 deg thorocolumbar
                        Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Comment

Working...
                        X