• Show
Clear All

• elavil

What has anyone heard about elavil? Dr Bederman wants me to take it

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

I haven't heard of it Melissa. What is he giving it to you for?
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

This is an anti-depressant that is also used for nerve pain. My husband takes it because of neuropathic pain in his legs and feet from damaged discs and it has helped him more than anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
        What has anyone heard about elavil? Dr Bederman wants me to take it

Melissa
        I took elavil for fibromyalgia a long time ago. It seemed to really help with nerve pain. Hope this gives you the relief you need. It is an antidepressant. Good luck~~~boomer
        Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
        Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
        This started adult onset scoliosis
        July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
        Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
        May 30th 2013 revision
        May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
        May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

My mom has been on Elavil for years. As others have said, it is an antidepressant but can also be used for certain types of pain. It is one of the older types of antidepressants. She only takes her pills at night b/c they make her very sleepy.

http://mental-health.emedtv.com/elavil/elavil.html
          Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
          Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
          Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
          http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

What are those posts?

There are some posts on this thread I am suspisious about. Am I the only one? Are they considered spam? I think Linda R. said something about this. I will look into it. boomer
            Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
            Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
            This started adult onset scoliosis
            July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
            Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
            May 30th 2013 revision
            May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
            May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Having read what Elavil is for, I am very hopeful for some relief for you Melissa!
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I would not consider these comment on this subject as spam boomer.

Lorraine
                Operated on in 1966, harrington rods inserted from T4 to L3, here in Australia. Fusion of the said vertebrae as well. Problems for the last 14 years with pain.
                Something I feel deeply,"Life is like money,you can spend it anyway you wish, but can only spend it once.

Comment

Lorraine, there was some spam posts here but they have been removed. The site has been experiencing spam attacks all week and Linda has been deleting them on an hourly basis.

Comment

I took the drug last night at 11pm and I could not fall asleep until 3am. Still in pain. I will take it earlier tonight and see what happens. This drug will take several weeks to work , if it is going to

Thanks for everyone's caring
                    Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by Elisa View Post
                      Lorraine, there was some spam posts here but they have been removed. The site has been experiencing spam attacks all week and Linda has been deleting them on an hourly basis.
                      Well, not hourly. I do have a job. But, I'm trying to get to the spam at least 3X every day. I don't think any of the above posts are spam.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

hi Melissa
                        years ago, around 1988, when i was still sick but still undiagnosed with Lyme disease,
                        (mostly male) doctors were busy telling me i was a hypochondriac...
                        because they didn't do the right (specific) test to find Lyme....
                        as soon as they did, the results popped up high positive...

but the point i wanted to make was that while they were telling me i was nuts,
                        i told them some of my (many) symptoms....one doctor prescribed elavil...
                        mostly what i remember was that right away, it left me with a "sleep hangover"
                        in the morning....
                        i was working full time and going to grad school at nite, so i gave up on the elavil...
                        i couldn't afford to walk around being so sleep "hungover" every morning!
                        i was told back in 1988 that elavil was sometimes given to help people sleep, even
                        though it was officially classified as an antidepressant....
                        it had an effect on me right away...it did not take weeks for it to kick in...
                        but i know everybody is different...
                        i would just suggest to be careful when driving....

hope you feel better soon...
                        jess

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                          hi Melissa
                          years ago, around 1988, when i was still sick but still undiagnosed with Lyme disease,
                          (mostly male) doctors were busy telling me i was a hypochondriac...
                          because they didn't do the right (specific) test to find Lyme....
                          as soon as they did, the results popped up high positive...

but the point i wanted to make was that while they were telling me i was nuts,
                          i told them some of my (many) symptoms....one doctor prescribed elavil...
                          mostly what i remember was that right away, it left me with a "sleep hangover"
                          in the morning....
                          i was working full time and going to grad school at nite, so i gave up on the elavil...
                          i couldn't afford to walk around being so sleep "hungover" every morning!
                          i was told back in 1988 that elavil was sometimes given to help people sleep, even
                          though it was officially classified as an antidepressant....
                          it had an effect on me right away...it did not take weeks for it to kick in...
                          but i know everybody is different...
                          i would just suggest to be careful when driving....

hope you feel better soon...
                          jess
                          Jess you are so right. I am walking around hungover . No matter how early I take it I have felt the same way every morning. I am stopping it
                          Melissa

Comment

Melissa, all new medications take a bit of time to adjust to so I wouldn't up and quit right away. I remember when I was first prescribed Paxil and all I could do was sit in the recliner and zone out for three days so we decided to take half dose and it was fine. Give the new meds a bit of time and if you're still feeling "hungover" then talk to Dr. B about it and perhaps he'll drop the dose.

Comment

they told me elavil can be a particularly "hung over" kind of pill...
                              they also told me to "give it a chance"...
                              but i couldn't while working....
                              and it felt too risky to go around like that....

i did not have any patience with elavil...
                              i have been on other similar meds that did not have the same after effect!
                              don't blame you, Melissa...
                              but i would talk to the doc

jess

Comment

Working...
                              X