Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2nd Annual UCSF Scoliosis Multidisciplinary Patient Conference

2nd Annual UCSF Scoliosis Multidisciplinary Patient Conference

Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

I'm getting a message that says I need to log in. What exactly is the "2nd Annual UCSF Scoliosis Multidisciplinary Patient Conference"?
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Sorry, here's the correct URL:

https://orthosurg.ucsf.edu/patient-c...ister.cfm?js=1

This is a conference for patients and parents. Last year, it was just for adult patients. It's a series of talks about various treatments (including surgery, yoga, Pilates, injections, etc.). The most likely agenda will include adolescent/teen treatment options in the morning, cross-over topics mid-day, and adult options in the afternoon.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Last years meeting was fantastic! For those seeking information about any scoliosis related topics, there were many scoliosis surgeons and doctors available to answer many and any questions.

Since most surgeons are extremely busy people, its awfully nice of them to make things like this happen.

I also hear there is going to be a big pizza and soda party, and Iím feeling a little low on grease.
    Just kidding...lol
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 58, the new 53...
    Pre surgery curves C12,T70,L70
    ALIF/PLIF T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Here's the tentative agenda:

Spine Anatomy
    Types of Scoliosis
    Overview of Adolescent Treatment Options
    Making an Informed Decision in AIS
    What do Kids Care About Most
    What to Expect if Your Child Needs Surgery
    What Causes Pain in Scoliosis
    Physical therapy
    Yoga
    Pilates
    Nerve Monitoring in Spine Surgery
    Injections
    Surgical Options for Adult Scoliosis
    What to Expect if you Have Scoliosis Surgery
    Anesthenia in Spine Surgery
    Making an Informed Decision about Adult Scoliosis Surgery
    Spine Surgery Outcomes
    Post operative PT
    Patient Panel

I would love to go to this but I do not know if I would be up to going
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

hi Melissa
    i think sitting for all that time proved that your body still needs to do a lot of healing!
    please do not attempt travel and more sitting...
    sometimes when we push our bodies too hard, we pay a huge price for doing so!
    it has taken so long for you to get the right surgeon and the right surgery....it would
    be a shame to risk messing it up!
    that is just my opinion...written out of concern for you...
    hope you take it in the spirit it is presented....

hoping you feel better soon...
    jess

Quote Originally Posted by jrnyc View Post
    hi Melissa
    i think sitting for all that time proved that your body still needs to do a lot of healing!
    please do not attempt travel and more sitting...
    sometimes when we push our bodies too hard, we pay a huge price for doing so!
    it has taken so long for you to get the right surgeon and the right surgery....it would
    be a shame to risk messing it up!
    that is just my opinion...written out of concern for you...
    hope you take it in the spirit it is presented....

hoping you feel better soon...
    jess
    Oh I know that I am not going .There is no way that I could do it, whether I was in a car or flew
    Thanks for the advice
    Melissa
    Melissa

I am going to try to sit in the car 2 1/2 hours to go to San Diego on Thanksgiving. I can sit 1 1/2 hours to go to the hospital so we will have to make a stop in the middle of the trip
    Melissa

Sounds like a good plan Melissa. I have a turkey cooking in the oven right now and I can smell it, mmmm.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Quote Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
    Sounds like a good plan Melissa. I have a turkey cooking in the oven right now and I can smell it, mmmm.
    For those in the US who might be confused, Canada also celebrates Thanksgiving and it is tomorrow.

By the way, I think they claim they started observing the holiday before the US did. It obviously doesn't revolve around Plymouth. MA but I forget what it does commemorate.
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

New, shortened URL for registering

http://orthosurg.ucsf.edu/scoliosis2011

When do you have to register by?

We haven't set a date, but I suspect we'll have a cutoff about a week prior to the event. The auditorium that we're using seats about 150, so there could feasibly be a cutoff if we fill up, but I don't actually think that will happen.

Hi...

Just reminding folks of this event. It's a week from tomorrow. A full day of all sorts of information about scoliosis, with lunch provided by NuVasive and Better Way Back. There is no charge to attend, but you must register by Thursday, December 1.

http://orthosurg.ucsf.edu/scoliosis2011

--Linda