Three month post op and brand new sensations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three month post op and brand new sensations

I need some help. As of Friday, I have been having odd, new sensations in my back. Not only do I continue to experience the tightness in my thoracic area, now I also "feel" the rods in my back when I move certain ways. This is so hard to describe but I am worried that something isn't right. I can simply be reaching for something and I have this sensation. I am wondering if the numbness wearing off is making me have this? I am going in for my three month post op appointment on Wednesday and will mention this. Hopefully xrays will show any abnormalities, should there be any.

I don't know if I am simply hypersensitive or what. I have no frame of reference so everything so new to me and I have no idea what is normal and what isn't.
    50 years old!!!!!
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
    Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
    Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
    Surgery 07/11/2011
    Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Hi Marina,

I would say your symptoms are very common at the 3-month mark. I can relate to what you are describing...I think at that point a lot of the swelling has subsided, and some numbness starts to recede. I found that at the point in general I started feeling better (and was SO sick of "recovering" from surgery) that I probably moved my back more and guarded it less. I had the feeling you described of feeling the rods--to me it felt like a "pulling" o the vertebrae as they strained to move against the rods. By about 6 months time the "pulling" was essentially gone. I guessed this was due to fusion starting...who knows! I was just glad the sensations were gone.

Hang in there, you are still very early in recovery and you will make a huge amount of improvement and recovery from where you are today. I had a huge improvement between 3 months and 6 months post-op.

Take care,
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1

mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

Comment

Originally posted by leahdragonfly View Post
      Hi Marina,

I would say your symptoms are very common at the 3-month mark. I can relate to what you are describing...I think at that point a lot of the swelling has subsided, and some numbness starts to recede. I found that at the point in general I started feeling better (and was SO sick of "recovering" from surgery) that I probably moved my back more and guarded it less. I had the feeling you described of feeling the rods--to me it felt like a "pulling" o the vertebrae as they strained to move against the rods. By about 6 months time the "pulling" was essentially gone. I guessed this was due to fusion starting...who knows! I was just glad the sensations were gone.

Hang in there, you are still very early in recovery and you will make a huge amount of improvement and recovery from where you are today. I had a huge improvement between 3 months and 6 months post-op.

Take care,
      Thank you Gayle! What a relief to hear someone else describe this odd pulling. It isn't exactly painful but there are brief tweaks that are painful. Thankfully, it doesn't last.
      50 years old!!!!!
      Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Thanks Marinia and Gayle,

Thanks for the postings--I will be approaching the three month mark in a few weeks--nice to know what lies ahead and what might not be weird for this stage in the game.

Best wishes to Marinia in your recovery!

Dollie
        Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
        Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
        Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
        Dr. Charles Edwards, II
        The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
        Before and after xrays:
        http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Originally posted by djkinkead View Post
          Thanks Marinia and Gayle,

Thanks for the postings--I will be approaching the three month mark in a few weeks--nice to know what lies ahead and what might not be weird for this stage in the game.

Best wishes to Marinia in your recovery!

Dollie
          Yes, it definitely helps to hear other people's perspectives!
          50 years old!!!!!
          Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

rods

Yes, I have the sensation of a slight pop/shift in the rods when I roll in bed. It isn't painful and only just there.
            Kelly (progress)
            7 weeks post-op
            Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
            49 yrs
            55 deg thorocolumbar
            Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Comment

I am almost 4 months post-op now, and definitely have had new sensations in the past month. The left side of my ribs, in the front, feels like there is a tight band around it, and the Rt. side, in the back has the incredible tightness, pulling, pressure sensation all of the time. I wake up every morning, wondering "is this the day it will start to get better?". I do think the numbness wearing off has a lot to do with us being hyperaware of these sensations. It would be really helpful if someone would write a month to month recovery guide, so we had a frame of reference. Kind of like the "What to expect when your expecting" book!
              Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
              T54/L72
              Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
              Gained 2 inches!
              Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
              12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
              Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
                I am almost 4 months post-op now, and definitely have had new sensations in the past month. The left side of my ribs, in the front, feels like there is a tight band around it, and the Rt. side, in the back has the incredible tightness, pulling, pressure sensation all of the time. I wake up every morning, wondering "is this the day it will start to get better?". I do think the numbness wearing off has a lot to do with us being hyperaware of these sensations. It would be really helpful if someone would write a month to month recovery guide, so we had a frame of reference. Kind of like the "What to expect when your expecting" book!
                What a great idea . We definitely could use that book to make us aware of what is normal and what is not
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Hi...

Unfortunately, you'll find that there are dozens of different "feelings" and/or symptoms one can have during early recovery. I think the one thing that is helpful is that even if there's a problem with the implants, it is almost never an emergency. So, unless you're in a bad accident, fall down the stairs, have a fever, have the incision open up on it's own, or start pitching way forward or to one side, my advice would be to hang in there. Almost everything gets better with time.

Regards,
                  Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by Lorz View Post
                    I know exactly what you mean about the tight band. That's a new one for me as well.

I agree that it would help to hear how others are doing throughout various stages of recovery. And like pregnancy, everyone's specific situation is different. However, a general guideline could/would be very useful. I have never had a surgery like this before so I have NO idea what is normal and what isn't.

Thanks for your feedback!
                    50 years old!!!!!
                    Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Hi Marina, I am 5 mo. (May 9) and I think I feel the top of the rod(old rod) pinch a little, It also seems to be getting better, I am fused down to sacrum and I still have numbness down to my butt. and my tail bone still has some pain, some times. I went back to work 3 days, so hang in. take care, Lu

Comment

Lue, you went back to work three days ago or for three days a week? I am working three days a week as well. Sounds like you are doing well. Thanks for the encouragement
                        50 years old!!!!!
                        Surgery 07/11/2011

Comment

Originally posted by Marina63 View Post
                          Lue, you went back to work three days ago or for three days a week? I am working three days a week as well. Sounds like you are doing well. Thanks for the encouragement
                          That is great that you were able to go back to work.

Melissa
                          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I've been teleworking starting at about four weeks post (a whopping one hour a day), and it's been six weeks now and I have done four hour telework days. Had to re-read EVERY email I sent out three times over before I hit the send button, though. Still need to re-read twice....

However, just woke up from a nap (grin) late afternoon.

Still working on lowering my prescription pain meds to get down so I can drive. This week I am down to one pain med and 1/2 extra strength tylenol and will go down to 3/4ths pain med and one extra strength tylenol this weekend.

Thank you to everyone for posting encouragement that it will get better and life will eventually seem normal.

Right now I am starting to feel like I am living that movie, Groundhog Day.
                            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                            Before and after xrays:
                            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

Working...
                            X