Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Three month post op and brand new sensations

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    201

    Three month post op and brand new sensations

    I need some help. As of Friday, I have been having odd, new sensations in my back. Not only do I continue to experience the tightness in my thoracic area, now I also "feel" the rods in my back when I move certain ways. This is so hard to describe but I am worried that something isn't right. I can simply be reaching for something and I have this sensation. I am wondering if the numbness wearing off is making me have this? I am going in for my three month post op appointment on Wednesday and will mention this. Hopefully xrays will show any abnormalities, should there be any.

    I don't know if I am simply hypersensitive or what. I have no frame of reference so everything so new to me and I have no idea what is normal and what isn't.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    1,163
    Hi Marina,

    I would say your symptoms are very common at the 3-month mark. I can relate to what you are describing...I think at that point a lot of the swelling has subsided, and some numbness starts to recede. I found that at the point in general I started feeling better (and was SO sick of "recovering" from surgery) that I probably moved my back more and guarded it less. I had the feeling you described of feeling the rods--to me it felt like a "pulling" o the vertebrae as they strained to move against the rods. By about 6 months time the "pulling" was essentially gone. I guessed this was due to fusion starting...who knows! I was just glad the sensations were gone.

    Hang in there, you are still very early in recovery and you will make a huge amount of improvement and recovery from where you are today. I had a huge improvement between 3 months and 6 months post-op.

    Take care,
    Gayle, age 50
    Oct 2010 fusion T8-sacrum w/ pelvic fixation
    Feb 2012 lumbar revision for broken rods @ L2-3-4
    Sept 2015 major lumbar A/P revision for broken rods @ L5-S1


    mom of Leah, 15 y/o, Diagnosed '08 with 26* T JIS (age 6)
    2010 VBS Dr Luhmann Shriners St Louis
    2017 curves stable/skeletely mature

    also mom of Torrey, 12 y/o son, 16* T, stable

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by leahdragonfly View Post
    Hi Marina,

    I would say your symptoms are very common at the 3-month mark. I can relate to what you are describing...I think at that point a lot of the swelling has subsided, and some numbness starts to recede. I found that at the point in general I started feeling better (and was SO sick of "recovering" from surgery) that I probably moved my back more and guarded it less. I had the feeling you described of feeling the rods--to me it felt like a "pulling" o the vertebrae as they strained to move against the rods. By about 6 months time the "pulling" was essentially gone. I guessed this was due to fusion starting...who knows! I was just glad the sensations were gone.

    Hang in there, you are still very early in recovery and you will make a huge amount of improvement and recovery from where you are today. I had a huge improvement between 3 months and 6 months post-op.

    Take care,
    Thank you Gayle! What a relief to hear someone else describe this odd pulling. It isn't exactly painful but there are brief tweaks that are painful. Thankfully, it doesn't last.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    213
    Thanks Marinia and Gayle,

    Thanks for the postings--I will be approaching the three month mark in a few weeks--nice to know what lies ahead and what might not be weird for this stage in the game.

    Best wishes to Marinia in your recovery!

    Dollie
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

    Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by djkinkead View Post
    Thanks Marinia and Gayle,

    Thanks for the postings--I will be approaching the three month mark in a few weeks--nice to know what lies ahead and what might not be weird for this stage in the game.

    Best wishes to Marinia in your recovery!

    Dollie
    Yes, it definitely helps to hear other people's perspectives!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    44

    rods

    Yes, I have the sensation of a slight pop/shift in the rods when I roll in bed. It isn't painful and only just there.
    Kelly (progress)
    7 weeks post-op

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Easton PA
    Posts
    182
    I am almost 4 months post-op now, and definitely have had new sensations in the past month. The left side of my ribs, in the front, feels like there is a tight band around it, and the Rt. side, in the back has the incredible tightness, pulling, pressure sensation all of the time. I wake up every morning, wondering "is this the day it will start to get better?". I do think the numbness wearing off has a lot to do with us being hyperaware of these sensations. It would be really helpful if someone would write a month to month recovery guide, so we had a frame of reference. Kind of like the "What to expect when your expecting" book!
    Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
    T54/L72
    Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
    Gained 2 inches!
    Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
    12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
    Lost 2", gained PJK!

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    2,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorz View Post
    I am almost 4 months post-op now, and definitely have had new sensations in the past month. The left side of my ribs, in the front, feels like there is a tight band around it, and the Rt. side, in the back has the incredible tightness, pulling, pressure sensation all of the time. I wake up every morning, wondering "is this the day it will start to get better?". I do think the numbness wearing off has a lot to do with us being hyperaware of these sensations. It would be really helpful if someone would write a month to month recovery guide, so we had a frame of reference. Kind of like the "What to expect when your expecting" book!
    What a great idea . We definitely could use that book to make us aware of what is normal and what is not
    Melissa

    Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

    December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    6,951
    Hi...

    Unfortunately, you'll find that there are dozens of different "feelings" and/or symptoms one can have during early recovery. I think the one thing that is helpful is that even if there's a problem with the implants, it is almost never an emergency. So, unless you're in a bad accident, fall down the stairs, have a fever, have the incision open up on it's own, or start pitching way forward or to one side, my advice would be to hang in there. Almost everything gets better with time.

    Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorz View Post
    I am almost 4 months post-op now, and definitely have had new sensations in the past month. The left side of my ribs, in the front, feels like there is a tight band around it, and the Rt. side, in the back has the incredible tightness, pulling, pressure sensation all of the time. I wake up every morning, wondering "is this the day it will start to get better?". I do think the numbness wearing off has a lot to do with us being hyperaware of these sensations. It would be really helpful if someone would write a month to month recovery guide, so we had a frame of reference. Kind of like the "What to expect when your expecting" book!
    I know exactly what you mean about the tight band. That's a new one for me as well.

    I agree that it would help to hear how others are doing throughout various stages of recovery. And like pregnancy, everyone's specific situation is different. However, a general guideline could/would be very useful. I have never had a surgery like this before so I have NO idea what is normal and what isn't.

    Thanks for your feedback!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    70
    Hi Marina, I am 5 mo. (May 9) and I think I feel the top of the rod(old rod) pinch a little, It also seems to be getting better, I am fused down to sacrum and I still have numbness down to my butt. and my tail bone still has some pain, some times. I went back to work 3 days, so hang in. take care, Lu

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Lilburn, GA
    Posts
    201
    Lue, you went back to work three days ago or for three days a week? I am working three days a week as well. Sounds like you are doing well. Thanks for the encouragement

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Southern CA
    Posts
    2,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Marina63 View Post
    Lue, you went back to work three days ago or for three days a week? I am working three days a week as well. Sounds like you are doing well. Thanks for the encouragement
    That is great that you were able to go back to work.

    Melissa
    Melissa

    Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

    December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    213
    I've been teleworking starting at about four weeks post (a whopping one hour a day), and it's been six weeks now and I have done four hour telework days. Had to re-read EVERY email I sent out three times over before I hit the send button, though. Still need to re-read twice....

    However, just woke up from a nap (grin) late afternoon.

    Still working on lowering my prescription pain meds to get down so I can drive. This week I am down to one pain med and 1/2 extra strength tylenol and will go down to 3/4ths pain med and one extra strength tylenol this weekend.

    Thank you to everyone for posting encouragement that it will get better and life will eventually seem normal.

    Right now I am starting to feel like I am living that movie, Groundhog Day.
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

    Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •