Doing karate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing karate.

I've just started doing karate again. After getting mixed stories from people about (been told either not to or i can do karate). It involves very little upper body contact (punching, kicking etc).

Am I making the right choice in going back?
    2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

What did your surgeon say?
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Surgeon said that I can't do it, due to the amount of contact with it. But the style/form of karate that i'm training in has very little to no contact with another person what so ever.
      2002 - 42 degree curve (top) and 38 degree curve (bottom)

2003 - 43 degree curve (top) and 37 degree curve (bottom)

2007 - 46 degree curve (top) and 48 degree curve (bottom)

Anterior/Posterior surgery 17th of July and 31st of July 2007 and 2.5 cm's taller

Comment

I am just starting karate too! - but for the first time, at age 36. I’ve had only one surgery and have had “my rods” for almost 20 years. My personal experience was that I did not limit my activities in my 20s and I managed fine. (e.g., I would need to modify some of my yoga stances, but I still did yoga.) I am happy with my decision to take up karate so far; even though I understand that I am putting extra pressure/stress on my mobile joints due to the immobility of the fused bits. Rather than talk to a surgeon, I asked my osteopath’s advice about doing karate. She suggested that I avoid high kicks; and generally be aware of my limitations. (And I always tell any instructor about my physical condition before I start any class, so they understand if I step back from something.)

Anyways, it is nice to hear of someone else who is doing karate post-surgery as well. Hope it is going well for you.

Comment

Working...
        X