Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Irina View Post
    Hi Doreen,

My surgery has not been scheduled yet. My follow-up appointment is on October 31 - we'll go over MRI, bending and traction x-rays etc and then... go from there. I am thinking of having it done at the end of January or February 2013. Long wait... It's probably the worst part because I am driving myself crazy. I exercise every day to stay in good shape and it makes me feel proactive. Any advice on how to stay cool and not worry too much?
    Let's face it, coordinating/planning for this kind of surgery can be daunting to say the least. What worked for me was focusing on the immediate task(s) at hand and not worry about things that would occur later. Literally, take care of what needs to be done today/this week and as your journey unfolds, keep adjusting your To-Do List.

Who is doing your surgery?

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
      Let's face it, coordinating/planning for this kind of surgery can be daunting to say the least. What worked for me was focusing on the immediate task(s) at hand and not worry about things that would occur later. Literally, take care of what needs to be done today/this week and as your journey unfolds, keep adjusting your To-Do List.

Who is doing your surgery?

Warmly,
      Doreen
      Dr. Serena Hu from UCSF - I really liked her.
      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• I did it!

I finished the race! Here are the pix and updates http://bit.ly/NZ3Q66

Warmly,
        Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Good for you Doreen. I bet in your wildest dreams, you never thought you'd be racing after your surgery!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Congratulations of finishing your race, Doreen. It is amazing that you were able to do it at 9 months post-op and I love your pictures.

Comment

• Atlanta Area 5k Race & 1k Fun Run, Sep 16

Hi Everyone!

Our family will be participating in an upcoming 5k race on Sun, Sep 16 at the Town Center Mall, Kennesaw, GA. I'll be walking the 5k race. There will also be a 1k Fun Run too. If anyone is interested in walking with me or cheering me along, explore http://www.active.com/running/kennes...k-express-2012 for all the details.

I am training with the Achilles International Nashville Chapter who graciously took me under their wing since there aren't any Achilles chapters in Georgia. They have guides who will train and race with me to make sure I'm safe. My October race will be in Nashville, one more race before the end of 2012 locally in early December and then I'll plan my 2013 races for Jan - May in preparation for the June NYC race.

Warmly,
              Doreen

Comment

• Wow, Doreen, that's awesome. Good luck. Janet
                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Connected with the Achilles Team!

Had an amazing evening in Nashville this week meeting and training with the Achilles Nashville team. Details and pix http://bit.ly/Nt3q5I

Warmly,
                  Doreen

Comment

• Excessive Muscle Atrophy?

I'm almost 10 months postop and am a bit surprised at how my back looks Almost 10 Months Postop.jpg
                    Should my muscle have atrophied this much or is this normal?

Warmly,
                    Doreen

Comment

Had a busy day on Wednesday here at the house with my daughter's photo shoot. Ended up standing for 4+ hours swapping out food items for the different seasons they were shooting, wardrobe changes, etc. Last year's photo shoots were so painful for me because of my back, but this was the first postop shoot and I felt great at the end of the day. I'm not able to say who the client is for a few more weeks, but the first edition roles out September and I'll share details soon.
                      If you happen to be in a doctor's office this month and you see WebMD magazines in the waiting room, my daughter was featured in the September issue with her review of Michelle Obama's cookie recipe http://bit.ly/LD2boo

Warmly,
                      Doreen

Comment

• Muscle atrophy

Hey Doreen,

That Lizzie is some kind of star! Congrats to her!

Sounds like you are doing great. Regarding your muscle atrophy question, I looked in the mirror at my own back after viewing your picture. No I don't have that going on with my back. I have been doing weight machines 3x/wk and then play tennis 2x/wk both of which have helped me in the muscle strengthening mode. The machines that I use are the pulldown, seated row and pectoral fly. I only use 40-50 pounds but it is enough for me. Up until my 1 yr post-op, I was only using handweights on a regular basis. Then at one year, I added the upper body weight machines.

Donna
                        Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
                        Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
                        Fused T3-L3
                        60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
                        Tennis player & returning to the courts!
                        http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Comment

• Originally posted by walkingmom View Post
                          Hey Doreen,

That Lizzie is some kind of star! Congrats to her!

Sounds like you are doing great. Regarding your muscle atrophy question, I looked in the mirror at my own back after viewing your picture. No I don't have that going on with my back. I have been doing weight machines 3x/wk and then play tennis 2x/wk both of which have helped me in the muscle strengthening mode. The machines that I use are the pulldown, seated row and pectoral fly. I only use 40-50 pounds but it is enough for me. Up until my 1 yr post-op, I was only using handweights on a regular basis. Then at one year, I added the upper body weight machines.

Donna
                          Thanks, Donna. I've been using hand weights x3/wk since 3 months postop and will introduce machines once I'm 1 year postop. I'm itchin to get onto the machines because we have them in our basement and miss doing the exercises you mentioned. Maybe my weekly walking routine is slowing down any possible muscle growth since I do a lot more walking than weight training? Very odd.

Comment

• i wonder if this is something beyond what exercise can do...
                            i remember seeing you sitting at a "bicycle" machine for arms...
                            it seems as if you are quite active...
                            perhaps somone in Dr Lenke's office can answer the
                            muscle atrophy question...
                            just personally, i think you look great....

jess

Comment

• I checked my back and I have an area of about 2 inches at the base of my spine which has become slightly sunken in just on the incision line. I don't have what you have but then we're kayakers. Not sure if that has any bearing on it. Somehow I doubt it.

You look very fit Doreen.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm almost 10 months postop and am a bit surprised at how my back looks [ATTACH]1349[/ATTACH]
                                Should my muscle have atrophied this much or is this normal?

Warmly,
                                Doreen
                                Hi Doreen,

I compared this picture to a 9-month picture that you have on your blog and the first thing that came to mind is that the position of your arms is different. On a 9-months picture you're standing with your arms along your body, but it looks like you're holding something in a 10-months picture. Camera maybe? Did you take this 10-months picture as a reflection in a mirror yourself?

I know that when I try to see my back in the mirror holding another mirror in my hand, my spatulas will stick out. Could that be the case?

Comment

Working...
                                X