No announcement yet.

Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insomnia is horrible. I used to sleep like a log but since mid 40s, that changed. When I was in recovery, I slept incredibly well, and my feeling of well-being was high. I've since gone back to sleeping badly, though I drop off fairly quickly, I don't always stay asleep. On days I walk long distances, really fast, I am more likely to sleep through, but sometimes that's no guarantee. I hope the med. helps. I believe sleep is so important, it's worth taking a pill for, at least occasionally.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I pretty much wake up every single night for an hour or two and I've got into a routine of, first getting up to go to the bathroom, then making sure I have enough water in my glass (big glass), then I lie myself on my back with a pillow under my knees and two pillows under each arm. I also have about three soft pillows under my head and one tiny one over my eyes; all down. I pull up my favourite crocheted blanket over my arms and neck, take deep breaths and think happy thoughts, lol. I know, it sounds simplistic but it works most nights and when it doesn't I break a pill in half.
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Doreen,

Just now reading your news. So glad Dr. Lenke gave you the answers you were looking for! You will be having basically the exact same surgery I am scheduled for. Except, my curves are somewhat larger, so he rated me a "3" on the difficulty scale. (Karen, I'm curious if have gave you a number?) Also, he told me 50% correction. I'm too rotated, I think.

Anyway, just wanted to chime in about the rescheduling. I have been offered to move up a couple of times. They have a lot of patients, and I think they keep forgetting that I want to wait until March. So, I doubt you will end up waiting until August. I have also been moved a couple of times within March. He's a busy man, I guess.

I have been working out a lot, and, like Karen said, "training" for surgery. The paradoxical thing about this is that it makes you feel better, and then you don't feel as much like you need surgery! But, my mom just retired for good so that she can help me when I have the surgery -- so there's no turning back this time! It is for the best, but I think I will always have doubts...

Anyway, good wishes, and keep in touch!

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Good Morning, Sunshine!

Wow, what a great night's sleep! I took an Ambien at 9p and started to read. At 9:10p I turned off the light and woke this morning at 7:30a. My hubby, who was already awake downstairs, came up and peeked into our room. He saw that I was awake and asked, "Did you sleep well?" giggle I said, "What did I do? Why are you laughing?" He said I snored like crazy all night (I never snore)! LOL!

Evelyn, are you needing a two-day surgery or one-day? Do you recall how soon Kelly was offering you new surgery dates after you first met with Dr. Lenke?

Warmly,
          Doreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Doreen,
            I'm sure you feel better after sleeping soundly.

Evelyn,
            I didn't think to ask Dr. Lenke about rating the surgery, but that is a good question. He had estimated 8 hours for the surgery but it was closer to 10 hours. The day before my surgery I told Kelly to give him the message that I REALLY wanted the rib hump reduced as much as possible. He was very pleased with the results & told me he worked hard to please me. Maybe that is why it was an extra two hours.
            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
            Rib Hump-GONE!
            Age-60 at the time of surgery
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Originally posted by Doodles View Post
              Doreen--
              On tough nights I usually end up with 2 or 3 tylenol PM which supposedly has about the same stuff in it. It finally works but takes a long time & makes you feel not so great the next day. I hope you find an answer. Sleepless nights are horrible. Janet
              Janet, Be very careful when taking tylenol PM that you don't overdose. You should never take more than 2 tylenol PM's at a time. Tylenol PM works great for me and usually I only need one to work. Prior to my surgery though, I was very anxious so my Primary care Doc gave me a prescription for Ambien and I was asleep before I knew it. It is addictive however Doreen, but I wouldn't worry about Ambien prior to a big surgery like this because of all the pain killers you will be on after the surgery.
              Sleep tight everyone, Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

A Bit Bummed Tonite

Thanks for everyone's insight on their Ambien experience. I slept well again last night and will probably take it a couple more evenings and then try to sleep on my own because I don't want to create a habit with it.

Tonite was supposed to be a "first" for my daughter and me, but because of the scoli pain, I had to ask a friend to take my place. Over the summer, Lizzie won three tickets to the Taylor Swift concert. Taylor got very sick and had to reschedule from July to this evening. Jeremy and I had a great date night by having an early dinner at a new restaurant and then came home to watch a movie (I'm no longer able to sit in a movie theater because it is too painful). So now that the movie's over, I'm laying in bed thinking about my girl and hoping she is having a great time with her friend and her friend's mom. She'll be spending the night with her friend so I'm eager to get all the concert details tomorrow. Lizzie was making a poster earlier for the concert and asked if I could help her cut out some letters. I was so eager to do my little part. I'm so bummed I couldn't be part of this special occasion.

I'm experiencing pretty bad lumbar "aches" beyond my normal pain. Two days ago I extended my daily walks a bit that happen to include a steep hill (we live in a very hilly neighborhood and this is the second largest hill). I'm thinking the new ache is a result from the extra walking and/or is a Forteo side effect. I talked with my endo's nurse last week and she said my knee/ankle aches are definitely caused by Forteo. I keep saying the aches are new bone forming. Sounds logical in my head anyway.

Warmly,
                Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

Doreen,
                  I am so sorry you had to miss the Taylor Swift concert with your daughter. Hopefully,your wait for surgery can be moved up. Dr. Lenke will give you your life back!
                  Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                  Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                  70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                  Rib Hump-GONE!
                  Age-60 at the time of surgery
                  Now 66
                  Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                  Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                  Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                  Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                  tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                  http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

My daughter had an amazing time at the concert. Usher made a surprise appearance which thrilled my daughter. Despite my friend getting a flat tire in downtown Atlanta at 1a, they made it home safely by 2a.

My husband and I talked about my exercise routine recently and I realized I've been exercising every day since mid-July; talk about over-training! I decided to start taking Sunday's off from exercising to give my body a day of rest and boy did I feel crummy yesterday. My daughter and I just came back from a walk today and what glorious weather we have, sunny and high 60's. Lizzie asked me when my birthday is and I told her in a few weeks. She asked, "What would you like for your birthday?" I smiled, "A new surgery date!" She said, "No, I mean, something reasonable." I replied, "It's reasonable to me." We had a good laugh.

Warmly,
                    Doreen
                    Last edited by Doreen1; 10-03-2011, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Not Much Sleep

Well, I decided to NOT take a sleeping pill last night because I don't want to get into the habit of taking one every evening. I got about 2 hours of sleep, just couldn't turn off my mind. Fortunately, I did exercises and yoga in addition to my daily walk today. I even walked a little bit farther today and am up to just over 1.5 miles. I almost walked the 2 mile loop in our neighborhood, but I forgot to bring water and I was in full sun and was really thirsty. Hoping to fall asleep fast from exhaustion tonite. Perhaps I should have an Oktoberfest brew, 'tis the season ;-)

Came across my insurance plan's full price for x1 Forteo pen on their website today $1300!!!! :-0 Yikes, that's steep, glad I don't have to pay that.

Warmly,
                      Doreen
                      Last edited by Doreen1; 10-04-2011, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Doreen, you could try and break the sleeping pill into little pieces instead of taking the whole thing. I almost never take a whole of anything to help me sleep and find that works pretty well.

I would have slept great last night except Elias had/has a nasty cough and since his bedroom is next door, he's the one that kept me awake. Finally at around 1:00 am I dragged my butt out of bed and got him some cough medicine with codeine, as well as a couple of Ibuprofen and a fresh mug of water and after half an hour he was sleeping soundly without coughing. We'll see how is cough is tonight and if he's hacking again, I'm going to give him some more cough medicine.

Comment

Thanks for the tip, Elisa. Don't you hate it when your kids are sick. I hope Elias sleeps better tonight.

Warmly,
                          Doreen

Comment

This is the first time since Elias' surgery that he's had such a wicked cough. It seems so deep and I can't help thinking the straining will pull muscles and make his back sore but he hasn't complained of that so that's good. My older son who is much like my daughter and totally into a holistic approach, suggest peppermint for him but I don't have any so codeine it is. It's just that time of year again when the kids go back to school and bring home all kind of nasties.

Comment

Finally!

I finally fell asleep last night shortly after I laid down and slept the entire night through without taking a sleeping pill! Yipee! After taking my daughter to her science class this morning, I decided to track exactly how far I'm walking everyday by driving the route this morning and using the tripometer. I'm so tickled that I've been walking 2 miles and didn't event know it! The full loop around our neighborhood is 2 miles, but I've only been walking part way then turning around. I didn't realize that my turn around point is halfway of the full loop.

Warmly,
                              Doreen

Comment

Yay for a good night's sleep without pills! I had the usual: fall asleep early, wide awake at 3:00 am, listen to rain until 4:30, toss around some more and then pop half a pill, fall asleep just after five and up at seven for three cups of coffee before I head off to work, bleh.

Comment

Working...
                                X