• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She is so lucky to have you as a husband
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Wow, all I can say is, WOW! This is fantastic, I can't believe they let her go already and that she did all these stairs and all this walking, this is so inspiring! We are looking forward to hearing from her soon. You are fantastic support for her, Jeremy, I am so impressed.

This is helping me be optimistic about my own surgery coming up in April.

Yay, Doreen!
      Stephanie, age 56
      Diagnosed age 8
      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

• Totally agree. Making me feel good to be scheduled with Doreen's surgeon! And wow, what a nice hubby!

Evelyn
        age 48
        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Greetings fromthe Other Side

Just a short note for the momet; to hard to typie wthe ll the meds I'm on. I'm still tryying to aborb everything. My biggest problem right now i horibble gas pain. I've been taking Senna Plus which hasn't hepled. I also did the magnesium citrate with has done nothing. Hubby will pick up suppositories and I pray they work. It's is hard to concetrate ajd am uanble to sleet. Room mate in hospital first night kept yelling for her husband all night, it was not a good night. Hubby tokk a walk with me down the hll little while agok, he is so sweet.

Will psot ore ater.

WAarmly,

droreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Welcome Back

Hi Doreen!
            Welcome back! Hang in there, you are doing GREAT!!
            50 years old!!!!!
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace 1976-77
            Original curve 36 degrees ( measured in the 70s)
            Advanced to 61 degrees 01/2011
            Surgery 07/11/2011
            Fused T1-L2 (curve now in the 20s!)

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
              Just a short note for the momet; to hard to typie wthe ll the meds I'm on. I'm still tryying to aborb everything. My biggest problem right now i horibble gas pain. I've been taking Senna Plus which hasn't hepled. I also did the magnesium citrate with has done nothing. Hubby will pick up suppositories and I pray they work. It's is hard to concetrate ajd am uanble to sleet. Room mate in hospital first night kept yelling for her husband all night, it was not a good night. Hubby tokk a walk with me down the hll little while agok, he is so sweet.

Will psot ore ater.

WAarmly,

droreen
              I think one of the biggest bummers of being in the hospital is having an irritating neighbor. I'm sorry you have to endure her. You will be jumping at the opportunity to go home! When I was having my second child (in the middle of the night) I got put in a room with a woman that smoked (yes, it was allowed back then). She had so much family coming in and they all had to parade past me to get to her. I was so furious. All I wanted was a little rest. When the gal went home, I thought, finally some rest, when the doctor came in and discharged me. I had only had my baby less than 10 hours previous to this. So, away I went. Anyway, Doreen, the point of that story was to let you know that I totally empathize with you having an obnoxious room mate. Maybe she will leave before you! It's been nice to hear from you. I can feel the misery you are in through your post. I hope your meds work soon so that your tummy feels better. Gentle (((hugs))).

Rohrer01
              Be happy!
              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post

Will psot ore ater.

WAarmly,

droreen
                Droreen ;-)

You are going to have a great laugh when you read this post after you've recovered.

This is a tough time, but you'll eventually stabilize your bowels, and you can get on with the real healing. I took senna and colace tablets twice a day for the entire time I was on narcotics. In addition, when I started feeling constipated, I also took lactulose. I don't know if it worked for you, but it definitely worked for me. I don't think I was ever uncomfortable like many have been.

Hang in there.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Haha, that post made my day. I'm glad you're doing so well Doreen. That's awesome you got discharged so quick, I'm very happy for you and Jeremy. Congrats on getting discharged.

Comment

• Yes Doreen, I think you win multiple prizes for fastest discharge from the hospital, sweetest husband, and loopiest post-op post. ;^) I'm thrilled for you that your surgery was so successful.

As far as gas pain goes -- Miralax worked really great for me. I took it for months.
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

• Yay Doreen! So glad you can leave the hospital so soon. Gentle hugs for healing.
                      Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Great post! Got a real chuckle out of that.

You're doing great! Good luck with the BMs - where else but here would you read a comment like that?!
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Glad to hear that you are doing OK
                          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Doreen, it's so great to "see" your voice in your "typieing"! We will be here with you every day, and cheering for you!
                            Stephanie, age 56
                            Diagnosed age 8
                            Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                            Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                            Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                            Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                            Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                            Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

• Great to see you posting again Doreen. I know you are so ecstatic
                              with your great outcome. You are setting some pretty high standards for
                              the rest of us behind you to live up to when it comes "our time". Hang in there
                              and keep the funny posts coming!
                              Pam, age 49
                              Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
                              April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
                              T-3 to sacrum

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                                I think one of the biggest bummers of being in the hospital is having an irritating neighbor. I'm sorry you have to endure her. You will be jumping at the opportunity to go home! When I was having my second child (in the middle of the night) I got put in a room with a woman that smoked (yes, it was allowed back then). She had so much family coming in and they all had to parade past me to get to her. I was so furious. All I wanted was a little rest. When the gal went home, I thought, finally some rest, when the doctor came in and discharged me. I had only had my baby less than 10 hours previous to this. So, away I went. Anyway, Doreen, the point of that story was to let you know that I totally empathize with you having an obnoxious room mate. Maybe she will leave before you! It's been nice to hear from you. I can feel the misery you are in through your post. I hope your meds work soon so that your tummy feels better. Gentle (((hugs))).

Rohrer01
                                I missed your husband's post that explained your discharge from the hospital. That's great news! You for sure won't have that noisy neighbor, ha ha. I hope you are feeling well. Take care!
                                Be happy!
                                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X