No announcement yet.

Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't know! They told me to come now. I think it may be because of two clinical trials I'm in. Anyway, I'm here now and I'm armed with questions, so it's all good.

Cheers,
    Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• 5 Month 1 Week Post Op Pix

Thought I'd share my original pre op Nov 2011 pix and compare them to me now; 5 months 1 week post op.

Pre op Back
      Back View.JPG

Post op Back
      Almost 5 months 1 week post op.jpg

Pre op Tummy
      Tummy Pre Op Nov 2011.jpg

Post op Tummy
      Tummy 5 months 1 week post op.jpg

My daughter said my tummy is getting flat and isn't squishy anymore. LOL!

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Doreen,
        You are doing so well! You definitely can see your ab muscles. I am looking forward to meeting you and Jeremy in a few weeks.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Doreen,
          You are an inspiration. I hope I can do as well as you!
          Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
          53*T 71*L
          Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
          Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

• Originally posted by hasteffen View Post
            Doreen,
            You are an inspiration. I hope I can do as well as you!
            Thank u! Dr. Lenke will do amazing things for u!

Warmly
            Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Doreen--Those pics are just amazing. You look wonderful. Congratulations! Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Hi Doreen! Nice photos!! Love the long, lengthy torso!!
                Love
                Nancy
                Age 58
                Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

• Invigorating to Be a Participant of Life Again!

Last night my family and I attended a play at the local Shakespeare Tavern. Total time sitting was 4.5 hours which included our drive time. The chairs were the most uncomfortable things, but I had a wonderful time! I even wore heels! It's so refreshing to be able to enjoy life!

Warmly,
                  Doreen

Comment

• Doreen,
                    What a great post! I'm sure those who are really early in their recovery or still in the pre-op stage appreciate reading about your recovery. I posted once that it was almost a feeling of euphoria when I returned to activities that I had enjoyed before surgery. I am so thankful for Dr. Lenke!
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• That is great!! How far along (months) were you when you could first sit for a couple of hours? I am wondering about my daughter's dance recital, when I'll be 3 months post-op. Maybe I can go for a few numbers, at least. Thanks for the morale booster!

Evelyn
                      age 48
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                        That is great!! How far along (months) were you when you could first sit for a couple of hours? I am wondering about my daughter's dance recital, when I'll be 3 months post-op. Maybe I can go for a few numbers, at least. Thanks for the morale booster!

Evelyn
                        Hi Evelyn,
                        I was 11 weeks postop when we had to make the emergency trip to FL, 8 hour drive one way. We drove for 2 hours, stopped so I could walk, then drove another 2 hours and spent the night at the halfway mark. The next day, same routine: 2 hour drive, walk, 2 hour drive. Bring a pillow or two with you and I'm sure you will enjoy the recital. :-)

Warmly,
                        Doreen

Comment

• Thanks, Doreen. I bought front-row tickets, so at least I can stretch my legs out!

Best,
                          Evelyn
                          age 48

Comment

• Originally posted by Confusedmom View Post
                            Thanks, Doreen. I bought front-row tickets, so at least I can stretch my legs out!

Best,
                            Evelyn
                            Evelyn,

I don't mean to keep butting in on your conversations, lol...

I just remembered something when you asked about sitting. After my first revision surgery which was pretty major surgery...about 5 months post op, I drove to Las Vegas with my hubby in a Honda Civic. I did great. And then flew back which is a 4 hour flight. You should do great at your daughter's recital.
                            May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

• hi Doreen
                              you look terrific!!
                              i just read your most recent entries on your blog...
                              very inspiring...

jess

Comment

• Thanks, Kristy!! I remember that, now.

Doreen,
                                I just looked at your blog now. You just look really fit! Maybe all that walking has given your back a more toned look (in addition to the surgery)? Anyway, I think you should be one proud metal momma!!
                                age 48

Comment

Working...
                                X