Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Just Fell!

My worst nightmare happened an hour ago. I was getting ready to head up to bed and was heating water in the microwave. I turned to get the water and didn't look to see if there was a dog laying near me. I took a sideways step and quickly realized our biggest dog (9 month old Shepard) was laying next to me, I tried to recover my failed first step, but my other foot got blocked by Indi too and down I went. My knee took the hit full force and then my shoulder as my torso hit the floor. Hubby is out of town and thank God Lizzie was home!

I didn't feel anything pop in my back, but knee is swelling. It's elevated with ice right now. It was a helpless feeling when I didn't know how to get up off the floor. I landed on my right side. Lizzie slid a chair over, put a pillow under my head and knee and then pushed/lifted my lumbar area while I tried to log roll onto all fours. PAINFUL! From there I pulled my torso up with the help of the chair seat. My thoracic area hurts now.

To top it off, I have an MRI in the morning. :-(

I was able to see my neuro last week and the testing for MS has begun. Blood results came back today and everything is normal except for copper level which is high. She test for lupus, Lyme, and a slew of other things which were negative. MRI tomorrow, EEG next week, a 4 hour provoking type test, then RA doc. I've been tripping a lot on my right foot and neuro wants me to use a cane.
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Oh my gosh, that sounds horrible! Thank God you managed to get back on your feet!! I cannot imagine the difficulty, being unable to bend- and with sore knees and shoulder. sending prayers - can you take NSAIDs or pain meds? oh I am so sorry to hear this ; you will probably "feel" the effects MORE in the morning, so be prepared to be stiff. But it sounds like you need the MRI - I will pray you get thru it without too much pain. xxx Jamie in TX
      57 years old.
      thoracic curve 68 degrees
      lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
      Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
      Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
      THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

• Doreen,
        I am so sorry that you tripped over your dog. I'll think of you tomorrow when you have your MRI because I will be having an MRI tomorrow as well. I hope you won't be too sore.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• I will keep you both in my prayers tonight
          Melissa
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Doreen...so sorry you tripped...
            i hope you are not hurting badly by now...it is 2 days later and i hope
            your pain is getting better...
            wishing you good things and better news from doctors...
            what a tough time...
            thoughts and prayers your way...
            best wishes...
            jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Doreen,

I'm sorry you're going through all this. I know whatever happens, you will come out strong. Think about how well you did with your surgery and recovery. You can take whatever gets thrown your way and come out smiling.

About the fall--hope you aren't too bruised. For future reference (which I hope you won't need), try pushing up on one side, like a log roll, into a sort of side plank position. Then you can get that knee under you and move to a squat to get up. I have had to lie on the floor a few times for various reasons (phone under the bed, etc.) It sure is awkward getting up!

Please let us know how your tests go.

Evelyn
              age 48
              80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
              Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
              Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
              Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Lenke and my local doc had me take xrays yesterday. I won't know anything until next week. Trying hard not to freak out but I see a crack in my pelvis right by a bolt. I showed hubby and he said, "What is that!" I don't know how to post a pic of the xray, maybe if I take a photo of the xray with my phone. Let me try that.
                Last edited by Doreen1; 05-04-2013, 06:39 PM.

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• I hope that all works out for you
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Hey there, Doreen!
                    I came by to check to see how you were doing....I am sad to hear about your fall! I have fallen a few times but I am lucky that nothing has been injured. I fell off the potty at 3 weeks post op and fell going up the stairs. Last week, I had vertigo (from an ear infection) and as I was leaning over to wrap a towel around my head, I fell face first in my closet... I panicked for a second then realized I was fine. Thank God! I know you must be anxious waiting for results. I have wondered what I would do if I were injured by either falling or car accident ect. what I would do or if injuries could be fixed and who locally would be capable of helping me?!?!? I guess that is something we all should think about and make known and have an action plan in place
                    I wanted to thank you for your endurance and dedication to your blog. I wish I had the patience and diligence to do the same... but obviously, I do not!
                    Rest well dear and try not to worry.
                    Best,
                    Heidi
                    Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                    53*T 71*L
                    Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                    Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

• Not sure what this is, but I'll post updates...

Crack.JPG

Comment

• Doreen,

Are you sore in your hip? When did you have X-rays last before this? Any line showing then?

Keep us posted. Prayers for you that everything will resolve quickly.

Evelyn
                        age 48
                        80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                        Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                        Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                        Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                        Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Doreen

Looks like your SI joint...

Try not to panic on this or put Fido in the dog house. Reading films takes quite a bit of training...

Hope this pain passes quickly.

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Hey Doreen,
                            I just looked back through your blog... on February 25th there are some xrays... a different view but it looks like the "crack" is there too. I hope that means you are fine... If my husband was home I would ask him to have a look. Best of luck girl!
                            Heidi
                            Scheduled for surgery with Dr. Lenke Oct. 2012
                            53*T 71*L
                            Surgery 10/05/2012 T4-pelvis
                            Correction: looks perfect! Will find out how perfect at future appointments

Comment

• Yes, it's definitely the SI joint. Looks like the other side is auto-fused (or the xray is a bit oblique), which is why you're not seeing the same thing on the other side.

--Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• I've been thinking about you and hoping that you're feeling better by now. I blacked out at a little over a year post-op and know the fear involved. I hope Dr. Lenke thinks everything is fine and your pain is soon gone.
                                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                                Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                                X