Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doreen

I am so sorry about this.

Interesting how the rods have separated so much.....I don’t see how anyone could have missed this.

I believe Linda had a revision by Dr Lenke at some point......

Using the word Harrington is synonymous with spinal hardware.....All the other non-scoli docs look at our constructs in awe....its to be expected.

Remember that your tire might be flat, but its only flat on the bottom.

Hang in there

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Doreen,
      I saw your post on Facebook about your broken rods and I'm so sorry. Our surgeries were only a few weeks apart and I am sure we both thought after close to 6 years that we are surely solidly fused. This has to be terribly upsetting to you. You always have such a positive attitude that I know you'll get through this and get back to your normal, active life. I think if I ever need revision surgery, I will go to NYC for Dr. Lenke since he did my original surgery in St. Louis and I think he's one of the best. Best of luck.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• Doreenim really sorry that happened
        Kara
        Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
        Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
        T4-L2
        Before 50T
        After 20T

Comment

• Hi Doreen...

In defense of the local doc, broken rods aren't always easy to see, especially right after they break. Also, unless your local doc is a spine surgeon, it really doesn't surprise me that he called the rods Harrington rods.

Depending on the circumstances, broken rod ends can stay together so that you really have to be looking for the break in order to see it. I ran a study where a lot of the patients, unfortunately, broke their rods. So, I got pretty used to identifying them. About a year ago, I walked into a surgery conference late and a patient was already being presented. After a few minutes, I asked how long ago the rod had broken. The presenter said "She doesn't have a broken rod." When I pointed it out, everyone was amazed. A roomful of doctors had missed it.

The good news, in your case, is that the surgery to replace broken rods and re-fuse the pseudarthrosis, is usually much easier than the previous surgery, and patients are usually very happy with the result.

Hope you get the December date.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Depending on the circumstances, broken rod ends can stay together so that you really have to be looking for the break in order to see it. I ran a study where a lot of the patients, unfortunately, broke their rods. So, I got pretty used to identifying them. About a year ago, I walked into a surgery conference late and a patient was already being presented. After a few minutes, I asked how long ago the rod had broken. The presenter said "She doesn't have a broken rod." When I pointed it out, everyone was amazed. A roomful of doctors had missed it.
            Fabulous! Good work!
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• So sorry for you but best wishes that all goes well from here.
              T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
              C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
              T2--T10 fusion 2/11
              C 4-5 fusion 11/14
              Right scapulectomy 6/15
              Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
              To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
              Broken neck 9/28/2018
              Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
              Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
              Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
              Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
              Osteotomy

Comment

• My mobility is getting significantly worse. I'm no longer able to walk thru the grocery store, shave legs, pulling on pants is difficult, standing to dry my hair is very painful, etc. Hubby moved a chair back into our bathroom so I can sit while drying my hair. It is flashbacks to when I was a few weeks preop and a couple months postop. I have more energy before noon then in bed for a bit in the afternoon. Yesterday my goal was to cook dinner before noon; however, a shower trumped dinner. Lenke said for me to get a wheelchair so I'm in the process of getting that set up.

Lenke wants to see me asap since my mobility is rapidly declining so my Dec 7 consult appt got bumped up to next week. Looking forward to securing a surgery date.
                44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• doreen good luck
                  Kara
                  Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                  Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                  T4-L2
                  Before 50T
                  After 20T

Comment

• Any experience at Allen Hospital with Lenke?

Hi Doreen! So sorry to hear about your broken rods. I read all your posts prior to my surgery, which was on 3/8 at Allen Hospital with Dr. Lenke. I had a great experience. Dr. Lenke and his team are obviously amazing. The only issue I had was with some of the night nurses.

I am headed back to NYC tomorrow. I've been having some pain that I didn't have before, along with a feeling that I'm leaning to the right. Angie wants me to get a full body X-ray. Maybe we'll run into each other! If not, best of luck to you!!!
                    3/8/16 Dr. Lenke, NY Presbyterian The Allen Hospital
                    PSSIF T4-SACRUM/ILIUM, TLIF L5-S1

Comment

• I'm glad to hear you had a good experience at Allen. My surgery is scheduled for Wed. What was the issue with evening shift?

Originally posted by Mom of 4 View Post
                      Hi Doreen! So sorry to hear about your broken rods. I read all your posts prior to my surgery, which was on 3/8 at Allen Hospital with Dr. Lenke. I had a great experience. Dr. Lenke and his team are obviously amazing. The only issue I had was with some of the night nurses.

I am headed back to NYC tomorrow. I've been having some pain that I didn't have before, along with a feeling that I'm leaning to the right. Angie wants me to get a full body X-ray. Maybe we'll run into each other! If not, best of luck to you!!!

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Doreen, the night nurses were kind enough, but seemed to be in short supply. I had to wait quite a while for any kind of help or medication. It wasn't like that during the day. Having someone with you, especially at night, is essential.

You're in my thoughts and prayers, especially on Wednesday. I hope prior to your surgery you'll be able to enjoy a little of the excitement and beauty that is NYC at Christmas!
                        3/8/16 Dr. Lenke, NY Presbyterian The Allen Hospital
                        PSSIF T4-SACRUM/ILIUM, TLIF L5-S1

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                          My surgery is scheduled for Wed.
                          Doreen, we will be thinking of you on Wednesday....

Post when you can...

Ed
                          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Doreen,

I'm new on this site but have read all this post going way back.

You are an inspiration to me and I pray all goes great for you and keeping your great uplifted attitude.
                            Melisse
                            Diagnosed with Adolescent Scoliosis @ 12 y.o. Thoracolumbar curve was around 28*
                            Wore Boston Brace 2 -3 yrs

Comment

• Thx everyone! :-)

Comment

• You know you are in good hands with Dr. Lenke. I'll be sending prayers for you on Wednesday.
                                Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                                Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                                70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                                Rib Hump-GONE!
                                Age-60 at the time of surgery
                                Now 66
                                Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                                Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                                Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                                Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                                tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                                http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                                X