Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whew!

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
    Had my annual mammogram today, doctor found a lump and I am scheduled for a biopsy next week. Always something, isn't it?

Warmly,
    Doreen
    During the biopsy, two lumps were discovered (one fluid filled, one solid); however, both are benign. :-)
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Wonderful news Doreen! I know you are so relieved. I was wondering if the central line placement could cause any issues or scar tissue that would affect mammogram results. Just a thought. I still get pain in my right chest/breast area that I am convinced is the same location of the central line.
      Pam, age 49
      Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
      April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
      T-3 to sacrum

Comment

• So happy for your good news.
        Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
        Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
        70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
        Rib Hump-GONE!
        Age-60 at the time of surgery
        Now 66
        Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
        Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
        Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
        Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
        tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
        http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• so happy to hear that, Doreen...
          glad the scare is over and all will be well...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• Doreen,
            I'm so relieved that your biopsies came back okay! Just curious if your procedure was easier than mine. I had a biopsy for a different reason. I had odd looking calcifications that can show extra activity of cancer cells. Thankfully mine was okay, too! Most of them are, but it's still unnerving none-the-less. Take care!
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

• Glad to hear that everything went fine
              Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• I'm thrilled to hear the good news! What a relief! I think you and Jeremy deserve a night out on the town to celebrate!
                Nancy
                Age 58
                Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

• Hi Doreen,

I watched your exercise videos on the blog and they are so helpful! It was great to see log-roll and how you move. You look so good! Thank you for posting these videos - I am going to do these exercises right now.
                  I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                  45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                  A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• What a relief Doreen! I had the same thing about 10 years ago, mine was also benign. But it took 2 mammograms, 2 ultrasounds and a fine needle biopsy to confirm! (A few rough nights in between!)

Go and do something really nice for yourself to celebrate!
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• What a relief Doreen! I had the same thing about 10 years ago, mine was also benign. But it took 2 mammograms, 2 ultrasounds and a fine needle biopsy to confirm! (And a few rough nights in between!)

Go and do something really nice for yourself to celebrate!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Hi Doreen

So pleased you got the all clear from the biop. You must be so pleased.

Hope your well

Jenna x
                        27 yr old Female.
                        Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                        Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                        Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• August 8 surgery with Dr. Lenke

Hi, everyone. This is my first time posting on this forum. I first learned I had scoliosis around 1992 when seeing a surgeon about problems in the cervical part of my spine. It didn't concern me too much as my mother had scoliosis and it didn't affect her although she had 3 different surgeries for herniated disks.
                          About four years ago I started losing height and have lost 5 inches since then. That is a lot when you start out at only 5ft. 2 in. I'm now 4'9". Three years ago I saw several spine surgeons and the last one I saw was at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. He said I should not have surgery until I was in unbearable pain as he said this surgery is "worse than having a heart transplant." That discouraged me and so I dropped my search until last summer when I talked to someone in my city, Columbia,SC, who had had surgery by Dr. Lenke. They were so pleased with their results that I made an appointment immediately with him. I saw him in November and his first available surgery date for me was this coming August 8. I go next week on June 19 & 20 for my pre-surgery tests. I have a 67 degree lumbar curve. His diagnosis is degenerative Lumbar Scoliosis, stenosis L5-S1, coronal and sagittal imbalance, kyphosis. My surgical procedure is: posterior fusion T2-sacrum/ilium, decompression L5-s1, transforaminal lumbar interbody fusion L4-L5,L5/S1.

I will be having intraoperative halo traction and that causes me some concern because of the issues in my cervical spine. (3 vertebra fused together on their own about 20 years ago) Did any of you have halo traction during surgery?

Since I saw him in November I have been having more pain from my lower rib pressing down hard on my pelvis. Also now lying down has become more uncomfortable, especially turn
                          Ing over in bed.

I have been working our with a trainer twice a week for the past 3 years to remain strong and walking.
                          As I will be 67 in November I guess I will be the oldest in this group having surgery. Your comments have educated me a lot about what this surgery will be like.

I have 3 children and 3 grandchildren, soon to be 5 grandchildren as one of my sons is flying to Latvia on Father's Day to adopt 2 children they hosted last year!

Two other small question's: will I ever again be able to get down into a tub for a tub bath and will I be able to raise my arms overhead to blow dry and curl my hair? Not high on the scale of importance but would like to know. This was a long post. Whew!
                          Jane

Comment

• Jane,
                            Welcome to the forum. I would suggest that you put all of this information on a new thread. It will be easier for people to reply to specific questions that you have in the next few months and after your surgery. You are in the best hands with Dr. Lenke. My spine isn't not fused quite as high as yours will be, but I have no problems at all blow drying my hair. I have gotten into our jacuzzi tub, but feel that a shower is just easier.
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• How to move my above post to a new thread

Thanks Karen. I tried to copy and paste my long post to start a new thread to be entitled" August 8 surgery with Dr. Lenke ( some after surgery questions) " but I was unable to make it work to move this post. How do I do this?
                              Jane

Comment

• Jane,

I had surgery T4-sacrum with decompression and TLIFs, also with Dr. Lenke. He did use a halo on me; that is to help prevent blindness. Blindness is an extremely rare complication of this surgery that can happen from lying face-down for so long. I agree that this surgery is not something to take lightly, but it sounds like you have significant scoliosis. I chose Dr. Lenke after seeing 5-6 other doctors. I think he is one of the best, but there are always risks, even with the best. I have been able to dry my hair from week #2 post-op, but I have not attempted a bath yet. Sitting up is still uncomfortable for me, so I haven't wanted to try it. If you decide to do it, I think you are in good hands!

Best,
                                Evelyn
                                age 48
                                80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                                Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                                Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                                Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                                Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Working...
                                X