Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks for the videos...

I am waiting for a visit in July 27, 2012 after a flouroscopy by Dr Bridwell before he will set a date. I am pretty sure I will go ahead when needed and starting to prepare for it. I've been looking in Amazon etc for videos but they are expensive and done by super jocks

Your videos are short and are specifically described. Thanks for saying pre or post op. I think that if many others are willing to do the same, it would help people a lot.

I went to the gym yesterday to do my second treadmill of 1/4 mile walk. Next to me was a beautiful woman walking 20 times faster than I could to running hard. She was all attired for gym, blonde hair in a pony tail, right shoes a bit intimidating but after a while, I was OK with it because I realize I am doing it for me not to be comparing or ashamed that I can be like them. After all, I am 62 and had lived more lives than this girl.

Thanks,
    Gardenia
    Gardenia
    Baja California, Mexico & El Centro, Ca
    pre-surgery 75° and 89° - post ?
    Dr. Bridwell Nov 27, 2012 @Barnes Jewish @62yrs
    T11 to Sacrum Dural leak at L2 & L3 ccmail4g@gmail.com

Comment

• Originally posted by gardenia View Post
      I am waiting for a visit in July 27, 2012 after a flouroscopy by Dr Bridwell before he will set a date. I am pretty sure I will go ahead when needed and starting to prepare for it. I've been looking in Amazon etc for videos but they are expensive and done by super jocks

Your videos are short and are specifically described. Thanks for saying pre or post op. I think that if many others are willing to do the same, it would help people a lot.

I went to the gym yesterday to do my second treadmill of 1/4 mile walk. Next to me was a beautiful woman walking 20 times faster than I could to running hard. She was all attired for gym, blonde hair in a pony tail, right shoes a bit intimidating but after a while, I was OK with it because I realize I am doing it for me not to be comparing or ashamed that I can be like them. After all, I am 62 and had lived more lives than this girl.

Thanks,
      Gardenia
      Your very welcome. Bridwell is a great surgeron. Did you know he trained Lenke?

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• A Little Tip for the Ladies

I just returned from my annual gyno exam. Umm... it was quite painful in my pelvic area getting my feet into the stirrups and spreading my legs for the doc. Glad I don't have to do that again for another year.

Warmly,
        Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Little Hiccup

Had my annual mammogram today, doctor found a lump and I am scheduled for a biopsy next week. Always something, isn't it?

Warmly,
          Doreen

Comment

• thoughts and prayers Doreen...
            it IS always something...life just isn't fair...
            but you will be OK...
            and we will be crossing our fingers and saying a prayer...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• Biopsy

I just wanted to tell you Doreen that I had to have a biopsy
              last year. Although it is frightening, chances are well in your
              favor that it is nothing. I know how you feel though.
              Pam, age 49
              Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
              April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
              T-3 to sacrum

Comment

• Hi Doreen

Finally managed to view your videos. You look a real exercise professional :-) you could definately show celebs who do exercise DVDs a thing or two!

Sorry to hear about your biopsy, if its not one thing its another. I had my second ever smear test a few months ago and was told I had severe abnormalities that had to be investigated. I had a biopsy and then a little procedure a few wks after to remove everything. Thankfully I've just received the reults to say its all gone.
                Stay positive the olds are definately in your favour and I'm sure it will be nothing to worry about. Just concentrate on your continued recovery from surgery. Keep smiling

Jenna x
                27 yr old Female.
                Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• Hi Doreen

Finally managed to view your videos. You look a real exercise professional :-) you could definately show celebs who do exercise DVDs a thing or two!

Sorry to hear about your biopsy, if its not one thing its another. I had my second ever smear test a few months ago and was told I had severe abnormalities that had to be investigated. I had a biopsy and then a little procedure a few wks after to remove everything. Thankfully I've just received the reults to say its all gone.
                  Stay positive the odds are definately in your favour and I'm sure it will be nothing to worry about. Just concentrate on your continued recovery from surgery. Keep smiling

Jenna x
                  27 yr old Female.
                  Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
                  Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
                  Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• Hey Doreen,
                    Sorry to hear about the biopsy. I am sure it is hard not to worry, but SO many of those things turn out to be just little fatty things (the only fat thing in your body, I am sure!)! Hang in there and keep us updated -
                    s.

Comment

• Originally posted by twistedRN View Post
                      Hey Doreen,
                      Sorry to hear about the biopsy. I am sure it is hard not to worry, but SO many of those things turn out to be just little fatty things (the only fat thing in your body, I am sure!)! Hang in there and keep us updated -
                      s.
                      Hi Suzanne,

When are you coming home? How are you doing? Are you almost ready for an ATL Scoli Meetup? :-)

Warmly,
                      Doreen

Comment

• Blooper of the Day

Ok, I'm sure my scoli friends will really see the humor in my lil blooper...

I was sitting on the one chair that is fairly comfortable in our family room with a small bowl of cereal and two TV remotes. I turned on the TV with one remote, then turn on the sound system with the second remote. HDMI2 appears on the TV screen which means someone was watching a DVD and forgot to switch the TV back to HDMI1 which is where it needs to be to watch the cable channels. The problem is, in order to make this change, I needed a third remote which was not in hand, but was on a table on the other side of the room.

So, I slowly skooch toward the edge of the chair to stand up, but my cereal bowl tipped, spilling milk onto the sound system remote, and then the TV remote slid between my legs and fell onto the floor and then more milk spilled out of my bowl onto my legs. Good grief, I just wanted to sit back, relax and watch some TV.

:-O

Comment

• ayayay, Doreen! Then you had to crouch on the floor to clean it all up... what a production! I'm glad I checked the forum today, but I am not glad to see that you had a sketchy mammogram... grrrrrrr.
                          I will be waiting impatiently to hear the results ~ which we hope show nothing at all.
                          Thinking of you a lot,
                          Nancy
                          Age 58
                          Surgery w/ Dr Lenke August 23, 2010
                          original curves 91 thoracic, 86 lumbar
                          fused T1 to sacrum, new curves 50 and 45

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                            Had my annual mammogram today, doctor found a lump and I am scheduled for a biopsy next week. Always something, isn't it?

Warmly,
                            Doreen
                            We'll keep our fingers crossed that all goes well. Sending good vibes your way. Susan
                            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post

Warmly,
                              Doreen
                              Hi, Doreen.

I just wanted to reassure you that the vast majority of biopsies come back negative. I had one last year. It gave me quite a scare because they watched it for six months before deciding to do the biopsy. Mine came back fine, as have my mammograms since then. I do want to forewarn you to take some pain medicine before and after the procedure if you have any left from your surgery. On my handout it said that ibuprofen would be enough, but it was not enough for me. If you don't have any, maybe you can talk to your doctor about it. There will be a lot of bruising and soreness for a week or so. I also had some bloody discharge from the breast. Maybe TMI, but I just wanted you to be prepared. No one told me in advance what to expect. They also made me lay on a funny table that put stress on my back. You'll want to inform them of your recent fusion so that they can keep you as comfortable as possible. Oh, mine was a "needle aspiration biopsy" but they still made a small incision. They also put a small clip into your breast for future reference as to where the biopsy was taken from. Best wishes for a negative result!

((((HUGS))))
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Hi Everyone!
                                Doreen, I had to laugh at your blooper - WITH you, not AT you! Ha! Glad to hear you are keeping such a great attitude. I am doing well, still up in Canada getting lots of TLC. I am walking pretty regularly (cold up here!) and am now off all meds. I still deal with some discomfort / stiffness, especially in the mornings, but am usually able to either rest or take some Tylenol to get relief. I asked at my last vist when I could start taking naproxen (Aleve) or ibuprofen, but Bernie said not until 6/7 months. I think I would get more relief from those products, but we'll see. I am up for an ATL scoli meeting whenever Betsy is ready - name the place and time! When is your biopsy, this week??

Comment

Working...
                                X