No announcement yet.

Surgery with Dr. Lenke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good point, Irina. Haha, spell check made it "spatula" instead of "scapula." I'm going to start calling mine that, as they seem to be a bit more "wingy" now, too.

Looks like there are three threads right now where people have definition around their spines that they are concerned about. Seems to me it is all a little muscle atrophy and weight loss and probably quite normal. Doreen, you look fit and straight and if you're not in pain, I wouldn't worry about it. You look great.

Evelyn
    age 48
    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Busy Bee This Month!

Updates to my blog http://bit.ly/NrM6mB include completed another race, expanded our family, Olympics on the radar, etc.

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
        Updates to my blog http://bit.ly/NrM6mB include completed another race, expanded our family, Olympics on the radar, etc.

Warmly,
        Doreen
        Indi is gorgeous, Doreen! GORGEOUS!!! I love the picture with, I assume, your daughter holding her. You can see her little fuzzy puppy tummy... aww! I've always loved German Shepherds. They're wonderful dogs.

I've been coming here to the forum every few days. I haven't been following as closely as I had been, but from what I've seen here and on your blog, you're doing extremely well. Inspiring! Congratulations!

Lisa

Comment

• what a great looking pack of pups!
          Indi looks so sweet...i am sure she will bring you
          and your family many years of pure joy...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• Reached the 1 Year Postop Milestone!!!

Hi Everyone,

I've updated my blog http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/ with reflections of the past 12 months, videos, pix and a one year photo collage. Although I haven't posted on this forum recently, I do read updates frequently. Continued prayers for those leading up to surgery and those in recovery. This forum has been such a blessing to me and I'm thankful for the new friends I've made here.

Nov 2011 Preop Back View.JPG
            Nov 2012 Postop photo-24.jpg

Warmly,
            Doreen
            Last edited by Doreen1; 12-05-2012, 09:30 AM.

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

• Congratulations, Doreen!!! Did you have your 1-year post-op appt.? How did it go? Are you feeling good? "Normal" again? Did Dr. Lenke say if he could see evidence of fusion? It's great to reach that 1-year mark and have no restrictions, right? I'm happy for you!

Evelyn
              age 48
              Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020

Comment

• Hi Evelyn,

Because we are heading to Paris soon, my one year appt w/ Dr. Lenke is in February. He cleared me for archery via his nurse and all other activities (within reason) will be cleared when I see him. I'm praying for a cloudy xray which will show fusion. Do I feel normal, no. My definition of normal was being bed ridden with pain preop so I'm pleased to have created a new sense of normalcy. I'm constantly reminded of my fusion when getting out of bed, refilling the dogs' water dish, inability to reach far back corner of dishwasher, etc. Not complaining, just explaining how different my life is now, such a blessing to be pain free.

Your pain has decreased since a few months ago, correct?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Comment

• Yes, Doreen, my pain is better. Not gone but slowly improving!!! Thanks for asking. Have an awesome time in Paris! What a great way to celebrate being recovered.

Best,
                  Evelyn
                  age 48

Comment

• Happy New Year!

I've updated my blog http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/ with pix from our trip to Paris. The trip went remarkably well; much better than I expected.

Enjoy!

Warmly,
                    Doreen

Comment

• Hi Doreen,

Your trip sounds incredible - where are you going next? Did you get a travel bug after going to Paris? We went to Paris and Avignon for our honeymoon and it was lovely. How was the hike to Notre Dame? I remember those steps - ouch!
                      Last edited by Irina; 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM.
                      I am stronger than scoliosis, and won't let it rule my life!
                      45 years old - diagnosed at age 7
                      A/P surgery on March 5/7, 2013 - UCSF

Comment

• Hi Doreen,

Congratulations on a successful and amazing trip! You are so lucky to have the health and the means to travel. I truly enjoyed your wonderful pictures and your documentary. We still have matching green coats, by the way!

Pam
                        Pam, age 49
                        Thoracolumbar curves 80 and 40 corrected to 20 degrees
                        April 20, 2012 surgery with Dr. Lenke
                        T-3 to sacrum

Comment

• Heading to STL

Have my official one year post op apt with Dr. Lenke tomorrow. Praying for a good report. My questions for Dr. Lenke are:

Why am I experiencing extreme sensitivity to cold temperature?
                          I literally wear 3-4 layers of shirts/coats to keep warm and prevent shivering which really torques my back. I also drinks a lot of hot water to try and keep warm from the inside out.

Do I have parathesia?
                          I frequently have the sensation of bugs crawling up and down my spine even though my back is numb. It is so bad at times, I ask Jeremy or Lizzie to look in my shirt to make sure nothing is there.

Can I have an RX for PT massage.
                          Since I've been training with my bow, I have back spasms after each session. Not painful, but odd sensation of muscles twitching. My thoracic area muscles become more sore after bow work.

Should I wear a brace when shooting to minimize twisting.
                          Proper archery form does not involve twisting, but I'm thinking a brace might provide a little insurance and keep me safe.

We'll see what Dr. Lenke says.

Invested in my new bow (updates on my blog) and am so happy to have a coach who has experience with a Paralympian Lee Ford who also has a fused spine, fused a couple of levels in her lumbar. Lee lives in GA and she has been very supportive and inspiring.

Dr. Lenke already signed off on my classification form needed for my visit to doctor in KY who I meet in a few weeks. There is only one doctor in the US who classifies Para archers. My goal is to compete later this year.

Recently discovered that sitting at a high top table in a restaurant caused quite a bit of pain where my bolts are anchored into pelvis. Note to self: always sit in a booth or regular height table when eating out.

Warmly,
                          Doreen
                          Last edited by Doreen1; 02-19-2013, 10:04 AM.

Comment

• Doreen,

Hope your one-year goes great!!! (You're actually more like 15 mos, right?) I've got mine next month!

I'm thinking your sensitivity to cold may be because of the great shape you're in, I.e. low body fat!! A good thing, of course. I've got the bolts issue, too. Seems okay most of the time if I'm careful.

Impressed with your archery! I think that kind of work out is a loonnng way off for me. Walking is getting better, tho! :-)

Evelyn
                            age 48

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                              Have my official one year post op apt with Dr. Lenke tomorrow. Praying for a good report. My questions for Dr. Lenke are:

Why am I experiencing extreme sensitivity to cold temperature?
                              I literally wear 3-4 layers of shirts/coats to keep warm and prevent shivering which really torques my back. I also drinks a lot of hot water to try and keep warm from the inside out.

Do I have parathesia?
                              I frequently have the sensation of bugs crawling up and down my spine even though my back is numb. It is so bad at times, I ask Jeremy or Lizzie to look in my shirt to make sure nothing is there.

Can I have an RX for PT massage.
                              Since I've been training with my bow, I have back spasms after each session. Not painful, but odd sensation of muscles twitching. My thoracic area muscles become more sore after bow work.

Should I wear a brace when shooting to minimize twisting.
                              Proper archery form does not involve twisting, but I'm thinking a brace might provide a little insurance and keep me safe.

We'll see what Dr. Lenke says.

Invested in my new bow (updates on my blog) and am so happy to have a coach who has experience with a Paralympian Lee Ford who also has a fused spine, fused a couple of levels in her lumbar. Lee lives in GA and she has been very supportive and inspiring.

Dr. Lenke already signed off on my classification form needed for my visit to doctor in KY who I meet in a few weeks. There is only one doctor in the US who classifies Para archers. My goal is to compete later this year.

Recently discovered that sitting at a high top table in a restaurant caused quite a bit of pain where my bolts are anchored into pelvis. Note to self: always sit in a booth or regular height table when eating out.

Warmly,
                              Doreen
                              Hi Doreen,

I hope you had a good appointment with Dr. Lenke and hope you make it out of St. Louis before the "snow-ma-gedin" hits...Everyone is saying we're going to get a lot of snow/ice tomorrow, so if you're still in town, be careful! I have my first PT appt. at Barnes at 3:30pm. I hope I can make it with no trouble!!!

Hannah

Comment

• Good Luck!!

Hi Doreen,
                                I just logged on here and saw that your seeing Dr. Lenke for a yr. check-up. Wanted to wish you "Good Luck", and hope the films are foggy !! Is this how they know your fused? I read your posts, and sounds like you are doing well. (A few issues?). But I'm sure nothing serious. I get muscle spasms every morning. I'm three and a half months out. I hope I am doing as well as you when Oct. comes around.(one yr. anniv.)
                                I am working on my walking yet. I walk a little clumsy sometimes.(just my left leg) I think as soon as he lets me have some physical therapy, they will give me some help . Dr. Lenke doesn't want anyone touching me till I am fused. Especially these therapist out here in the boonies. I feel soooo much better and know I have a long way to go, but God is Good, and I feel my prayers were answered.
                                Please let us know how things turn out for you! You are such an inspiration to so many on this web site.(Including me big time!)I loved reading about your trip to Paris~~~so happy for you! God Bless,
                                Linda. (PS: praying for a good report!)
                                Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                                Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                                This started adult onset scoliosis
                                July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                                Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                                Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                                May 30th 2013 revision
                                May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                                May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Working...
                                X