Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boomergal's surgery tomorrow

Hi, everyone,

I'm having my second surgery with Dr. Boachie tomorrow: L1-L4 with one osteotomy
    and one cage. I was calm before the last surgery (T2-T12), but the past few
    weeks I've been feeling very anxious. Also, for the past month I've had a sharp,
    stabbing pain in the lower left unfused part of my back when I'm on my feet for
    more than 10 or 15 minutes, which hasn't helped my mental state. Hopefully,
    this surgery will fix everything. My husband will post after the surgery and
    I'll try to post later.

All the best to everyone recuperating from surgery or anticipating surgery.

Mary, age 54
    Surgery with Dr. Boachie 7/5/11, fused T2-T12
    Pre-surgery T60, L52
    Post-surgery T27, L33
    Surgery for L1-L4 on 9/21/11

Mary, hope all goes well with your surgery tomorrow and I'll be thinking about you and will be looking forward to updates.
    Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
    Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
    Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
    http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

Praying for you, Mary. Looking forward to updates from your hubby.

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Praying for you and your surgeon .Looking forward to hearing from your husband
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers throughout the day. . .and I'll be watching for the "on the other side" post from your husband!
          Fused T-3 to L-3, Aug 25
          Hardware removal surgery, Nov 2, 2010
          Fused T-10 to L-2, osteotomy, Feb 22, 2011

Comment

Mary,
            My thoughts will be with you tomorrow. I pray that this surgery will be the answer to the pain you are having.
            Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
            T54/L72
            Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
            Gained 2 inches!
            Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
            12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
            Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Good luck! I can't wait to read your update that all went well.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Wishing you the very best for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Any news on the surgery?
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Boomergal back home from hospital

Hi, everyone,

I got out of the hospital last Wednesday. Had to stay two days longer than expected (7 days total) because I developed an ileus. My back looks great now--no more post-distal kyphosis.

As soon as my insurance company approves it, I am going on Forteo. I think Dr. Boachie said 3 or 4 months would be enough (I'm a little foggy about everything said to me in the hospital) but the endocrinologist who visited me in the hospital thought the full two years would be good. I'd be glad to take it for the longer time. Will have to find out more from Dr. B.

I had three osteotomies and a TLIF cage, and am now fused to L4. Dr. B. told my husband in the waiting room right after the surgery that one of the two base screws wouldn't hold because of my soft bones -- it remained loose -- and they used some kind of tape around the bone in order to secure things. I don't have all the details of my surgery yet. I will call for the surgical report or e-mail Dr. B. for more info.

Right now my big problem is getting my intestinal balance right. I'm on a low-fiber diet because of the ileus. Don't have much appetite and feel very weak and shaky. I'm also scared to death that this fusion won't hold because of my osteoporosis.

Thanks, everyone, for your support, and if anyone has any advice about post- ileus diet matters and transitioning to high-fiber foods, I'd love to hear it.

Mary
                    Fused T2-T12 on 7/5/11
                    Fusion extended to L4 on 9/21/11

Comment

Sounds like you're doing great. I know the ileum is no fun, but you'll almost certainly recover from it quickly.

Hang in there!

--Linda
                      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Mary,
                        So glad to hear your second surgery is behind you, and you are back at home. I too had an ileus pot-op, and struggled for 2 months to find an answer. The thing that finally worked for me was magnesium. When I started back on all of my daily supplements, ie. calcium, vitamins, magnesium, I realized the issue was gone. After thinking about it, it dawned on me- what is the main ingrediant in Milk of Magnesia, Magnesium Citrate, etc.,, Magnesium! I take 500mg daily, and it works like a charm. I tried everything else on the market prior to that, and nothing helped. Good Luck with your recovery.
                        Lori in PA, 52 yrs. old
                        T54/L72
                        Surgery 6/7/11, T3-S1, all posterior, with pelvic anchors
                        Gained 2 inches!
                        Dr. Boachie, HSS, NYC
                        12/10/13 Hardware Removal for infection
                        Lost 2", gained PJK!

Comment

Mary-- I had an ileus in the hospital for five days--no food or drink(!), but after that I didn't have to go on a special diet so I can't help you out. TiEd had one for 11 days-- or was it 8???, if I remember correctly. (Which I probably don't.) It sounds like you are doing well otherwise. Best wishes for a smooth recovery-- hopefully the osteoporosis won't cause any problems for you. That's interesting that they taped you where the bone was too soft. I haven't heard of that, but that makes sense. And of course Dr. B would know how to get around a problem like that. Rest up and keep us posted on how you're doing.
                          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by boomergal View Post
                            Hi, everyone,

Dr. B. told my husband in the waiting room right after the surgery that one of the two base screws wouldn't hold because of my soft bones
                            Mary
                            Fused T2-T12 on 7/5/11
                            Fusion extended to L4 on 9/21/11
                            Hi Mary,

I'm happy to hear you are home and on your way to recovery ;-)
                            Did you know about your osteoporosis prior to either one of your surgeries?

Warmly,
                            Doreen
                            44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                            Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                            2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                            X