Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone heard of Forteo to build strong bones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone heard of Forteo to build strong bones?

Hi all,
    I haven't posted for a while as I am waiting for test results, and to hear from Dr. Perra , whom I saw Sept. 8th at the Twin City Spine Center. For those that don't know my story , I have some previous posts that tell about what's going on. Basically, I am going to Dr. Perra to fix a very bad saggital imbalance from two previous scoli. surgeries. Accually, one scoliosis and one revision. So if he has a plan , this would be my second revision surgery.
    I am bent almost clear over and looking at the ground most the time, if I'm walking. (with a walker). Dr. Perra ordered a mylogram and catscan . He wants a good look at my pelvic area as to see where he can put the bolts. Years ago I had lots of bone taken from my illiac bone to fix my arm. Anyway, he needs to look at my neck too. I AM fused from T2 to pelvis. But the screws were removed from my pelvic area because they were protruding through my skin. Anyway, he is concerned about my osteoporosis. And mentioned Forteo , a drug to build bones. Its made from the human parathyroid gland. And is suppose to work great. However, it costs at and around $1000.00 a month or more. Yikes!! I would take it for 9 monthes , then surgery. I also had ANOTHER dexascan.
    I didn't have much time to get to know Dr. Perra. He had done his homework on me, and got down to the things that had to be done, and some options. He hasn't got back to me yet, and that makes me nervous. But his nurse said he would be going through the test I had done today. I would think so! This is the 18th and I saw him the 8th. But maybe this isn't unusual for a surgeon that does nothing but deformed spines all the time and eveyday most weeks. I don't know. But I do know it's hard to be patient when the pain and suffering is 24-7. He said he doesn't want to put me through another huge surgery if its not going to work. That scared me . I hope he isn't going to leave me this way. But I am trying to think possitive. And he did mention the Forteo. So we'll see.
    You all have been through these same things , with some differences. But what do you think of it taking so long for Dr. Perra to get back to me? I had the tests done right there. I am so scared of my future. If you all like to pray--say one for me. I will get back to you later with more news. Thanks for listening. Linda
    Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
    Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
    This started adult onset scoliosis
    July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
    Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
    Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
    May 30th 2013 revision
    May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
    May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

That does seem to me to be a long time for a surgeon to get back to me. I am used to Dr Bederman who gets back to me right away.

I will keep you in my prayers
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Praying for you, Linda, and for your surgeon to find the correct solution to your situation.

I am on my third week of Forteo injections and am doing fine. Yes, it's pricey stuff, so hopefully your insurance will cover it. If they won't, have your doctor appeal a few times. You can also ask your doc for samples and explore the Forteo Connect website, Patient Assistance section. I was scheduled for surgery on Aug 30 when the local surgeon called to cancel saying my bone density results were poor. I leave tomorrow for St. Louis to Dr. Lenke in hopes that he will: #1 be able to help me #2 schedule a surgery date for me (sooner than later). Forteo is the only bone building medication on the market and it is a 2-year cycle of daily injections. Be sure to talk to your doctor about post-Forteo maintenance medication (be careful of Reclast... I'm learning this is nasty stuff!).

There are many members here that have been on Forteo a lot longer and will surely share their experience. I'm under a time crunch with needing surgery because my lungs are being compress by my ribs (which are also pressing into my pelvis) and I've lost 3" in just a few months.

Warmly,
      Doreen
      44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
      Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
      2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
      X