Correction surgery of 'pot belly'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correction surgery of 'pot belly'

Hi Everyone, hope you are all doing well. I have noticed that there are still a lot of familiar names on here and that is fantastic. I haven't posted in a while, but try to keep up with what is happening to members.

I would like to pose a question to members who have surgery and are at 2-3 years post-op.

Has anyone who has had anterior sugery, had a tummy tuck to correct the pot belly. My pot belly did not bother me (it wasn't that bad), however now, it has kind of 'collapsed'. I googled trying to find pictures similar and all I came up with was 'pannus' & 'apronectomy'. I cannot wear jeans or skirts as it feels very uncomfortable.

If there is anyone out there who has had the tummy tuck, please, I would like to know your feelings on the matter. Thanking all in advance of any replies.
    Vali
    44 years young! now 45
    Surgery - June 1st, 2009
    Dr David Hall - Adelaide Spine Clinic
    St. Andrews Hospital, Adelaide, South Australia
    Pre-op curve - 58 degree lumbar
    Post -op - 5 degrees
    T11 - S1 Posterior
    L4/5 - L5/S1 Anterior Fusion

Hi Vali...

Check out the term "incisional hernia.". I had one after my original spine surgery 20 years ago. I had it repaired, but the repair didn't hold (which is common).

Good luck.

Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Pot Belly? What? From anterior surgery? Is this what I have to look forward to, even if I work out and re-strengthen my abs after the muscles have healed?
      Stephanie, age 56
      Diagnosed age 8
      Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
      Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
      Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
      Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
      Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
      Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mojo's Mom View Post
        Pot Belly? What? From anterior surgery? Is this what I have to look forward to, even if I work out and re-strengthen my abs after the muscles have healed?
        If anyone is concerned about this, they should discuss it with their surgeon. Most anterior surgeries are now being done without damage to the muscle.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

That's what I thought. Whew. I'll make sure I understand what exactly will be involved in the anterior part of my surgery.
          Stephanie, age 56
          Diagnosed age 8
          Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
          Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
          Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
          Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
          Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
          Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Thankyou Linda for your response. Sad to read it didn't work for you. I have read that this may happen on another orthopaedic forum. I saw my surgeon for an opinion and without scans etc, she feels that it could possibly be an incisional hernia or 'lax muscles' (not really familiar with this term). She says that I would definitely benefit from a corrective abdominalplasty. She said that she would 'tighten the strap'. Will keep you posted of the outcome if I go ahead.

On another note, I have noticed that you underwent further surgery. I hope that you have had a smooth and uncomplicated recovery. Best wishes.
            Vali
            44 years young! now 45
            Surgery - June 1st, 2009
            Post -op - 5 degrees
            T11 - S1 Posterior

Comment

Sorry Stephanie, I didn't mean to worry anyone, but as Linda said, if you have any concerns, please raise it with your surgeon. My surgeon warned me that I might be left with a little pot belly. I feared the worst, but seriously, it was not that bad. Best wishes.
              Vali
              44 years young! now 45
              Surgery - June 1st, 2009
              Post -op - 5 degrees
              T11 - S1 Posterior

Comment

Working...
              X