No announcement yet.

Taller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been almost four weeks since my surgery and I can tell I am getting stronger everyday. I will still have a bit of a rib hump, but nothing like what I had before.

When Golfnut mentioned about new clothes it brought to mind seeing pictures of myself at last year's Christmas party and I had worn this oversized fluffy red sweater and there was a picture of myself where it hit me: my body was basically a square: there was no length, there was no waist....

I have always purchased loose fitting clothes and will be curious when I start to heal to the point where I need to get out again, if I will be able to make different choices.

As your surgery date approaches, just remember it is true: everyday gets better.
    Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
    Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
    Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
    Dr. Charles Edwards, II
    The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
    Before and after xrays:
    http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

I love looking at myself in the mirror. My shoulders are straight and I look normal
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

You've earned it Melissa!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

It's nit corny. I did something similar when I had cervical cancer. It got me thru. I put a poster up that I focused on everyday to remind myself to be strong and what I needed to feel from the inside. Doing the same already to be able to not chicken out of the surgery. A waist anspd a swim suit tight fitting clothes an evening gown with the back out. All things to look forward to, I just hope I can still dance and flex and feel better than I do now. I can no longer do small things I used to do without being in pain. Makes you feel quite useless around the house

Comment

Hi, I am 68 years old, had revision surgery May, & June, I am 3 inches taller, no belly, no lump on my back,no PAIN and straight. and I love it. closes fit better, and at the poll I friends told me I look like a model, my younger years I was 5'9, the week before surgery I was 5'5", I am 5'8" now. good luck to you, Lu

Comment

That's awesome. Do you mind telling me why you had to have the revision surgery. I have been curios as to how many years an original surgery lasts. I can't even remember myself when people weren't trying to straighten my clothes or wearing big puffy sweaters. And if I did wear something tight I would say I was cold and wore a sweater over it And in 80 degree weather that stands out. No way to be un-noticed. It takes a while for people to notice but when the do their curious comments make you more self conscience. I will be happy to be straight again, breath normal and not have to do the how crooked does this make me look game when I shop. I hope I will be well enough to shop for Christmas. . Idk how long befre you can ride in a car but I hope to get to a mall before too long.

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                You've earned it Melissa!
                Thanks for nice comment
                Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

I know I lived in a good deal of denial over the last 5 to 10 years, when I could feel my body changing, knew the hump was getting bigger, but just couldn't face reality. I stopped looking at my rear view in mirrors, stopped wearing certain kinds of clothes, nothing with a waist for sure, stopped wearing bikinis, etc. My first reality check came when I found myself in a store dressing room that had mirrors designed to show the back view, and I was trying on lingerie. I hadn't seen my back full-on in some years, and I thought I would pass out and left the store in tears.

My most recent reality check came when my bridesmaid dress came in the mail (yes, a bridesmaid at 53, how silly), a fitted strapless gown, and although the bust fit was right and hips didn't matter because the skirt A-lined out from the waist, I could barely get it zipped! I couldn't understand it at first, and then I realized, it was because I have NO WAIST, and the dress did. A size 6, and I usually wear a 2 or 4. I had to do some creative alterations to make it wearable. And I know I would have had no trouble with it even 5 years ago.

I know if I can just have a good recovery and everything goes as it should, there will be things to look forward to from my surgery next Spring...but it's no less scary for knowing that.
                  Stephanie, age 56
                  Diagnosed age 8
                  Milwaukee brace 9 years, no further treatment, symptom free and clueless until my 40s that curves could progress.
                  Thoracolumbar curve 39 degrees at age 17
                  Now somewhere around 58 degrees thoracic, 70 degrees thoracolumbar
                  Surgeon Dr. Michael S. O'Brien, Baylor's Southwest Scoliosis Center, Dallas TX
                  Bilateral laminectomies at L3 to L4, L4 to L5 and L5 to S1 on April 4, 2012
                  Foramenotomies L3 through S1 in August 2014

Comment

Kayde and Stephanie,
                    I know that no one has this major surgery for cosmetic reasons, however, I am thrilled with my new "normal" look that non-scoli people take for granted. I know what you mean about the reality of looking at your body in a three-way mirror. It used to really upset me. Now, I am proud to be taller and straighter.
                    I finally asked my husband after my surgery if he had people question him about what was wrong with my back before I had surgery and he replied, "Yes, often." I never even told my best friends that I had scoliosis until I scheduled my surgery. You'll be so relieved when it's all over and you are "on the other side". My recovery has been waaaaaaay better than I anticipated.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

revision

Hi, Kayled I hope you ask me this question, I had surgery in 2002, all was well till 2009, sometimes rods and things put pressure on other parts of spine, and I got flatback & saggital imbalance. I was bent over and could not stand upright without support. and going from 5-9 to 5-5 had me upset. but all is well now. so good luck to you. Lu

Comment

It was many years ago, but I was at a business meeting and I had dropped something on the floor and had to bend over to pick it up. The topic of conversation for the next few minutes was how crooked my back was (rib hump really showed off) and I guess after that I always wore loose fitting clothes, or with my suits, ones that minimized the hump.

I can't say I have any real vanity thing going about being able to wear tighter fittting clothes because my real purpose for the surgery was that my organs would probably fail in about ten years from being smooshed together.

The different clothes is a nice perq...

I do wonder how movement will feel in one to two years from now. I worry a bit about things not fusing right...I guess everyone does.

My big thing I look forward to is being able to Jet Ski again. No, I know I will not be able to Jet Ski on wild water, but there is a new jet ski out that has shock absorbers and if I take that one out (or larger Ski with similar features), on a clear, calm day. That is my end goal. I love just going along the water...kind of like a water motorcycle.
                        Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
                        Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
                        Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
                        Dr. Charles Edwards, II
                        The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
                        Before and after xrays:
                        http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

I had my surgery June 7 & 9, and I'm two inches taller-- back to the height I was in high school. I also lost around 8 pounds, and that's just fine. I'd still like to lose at least another ten. I think my weight loss came from a loss of appetite due to hospital food and pain meds, plus the difficulties of eating the first few days when it's hard to sit up much. I also wonder, but don't know, if you burn more calories just in the process of healing. I am sure I'm eating more than before the surgery, but still maintaining the weight, despite not being as active as before. As others have mentioned, you're really going to enjoy the new straight back.

I started exercising in January after a period of inactivity due to a grueling schedule, and lost about 15 pounds, then lost more with the surgery-- I've dropped two dress sizes, and I'm delighted. I'm altering any tops or dresses that can be altered, and happily buying new clothes, with waists! And, I own belts again.
                          Diagnosed at age 13
                          Milwaukee brace ages 73-74
                          Pre surgery 58 degree curve and lordosis
                          Surgery June 7&9, 2011 Fused L-4 -T-4 Age 52
                          Post surgery 26 degrees
                          Surgeon Yu-po Lee

Comment

Paula,
                            I can happily agree with everything you said about shopping for new clothes. I was told that your body will naturally burn more calories than normal while healing. I'm not sure how many months to expect it. I lost about 8 pounds and weigh several times a week to make sure that I keep it off with plenty of exercise (mainly walking & water aerobics).
                            Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                            Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                            70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                            Rib Hump-GONE!
                            Age-60 at the time of surgery
                            Now 66
                            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                            Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                            Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                            tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                            http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Working...
                            X