Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking DVD

http://www.lesliesansonevideos.com/#Advanced

My sister-in-law just gave me "Leslie Sansone Walk at Home"-Walk Slim-Fast & Firm 4 Really Big Miles
    My PT recommended her DVD's for me when I was 6 months post-op, but I hadn't ordered one yet due to the large number of DVD's on her web site. I felt like this was a good work-out that I could do at home after teaching when I don't have time to go to the Y.

By the way, I'll be substituting my first two days since before my surgery next week. This will be a real test since it is with kindergarteners. I hope there is at least one 5 year old who can be my helper and tie shoes for others as I know that I used to tie dozens of shoes in a day!
    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
    Rib Hump-GONE!
    Age-60 at the time of surgery
    Now 66
    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Karen-- Since I work with K-5th graders in the library, I always explain to the K kids that they'll have to put their foot up on my thigh/lap if they need their shoes tied. I just tell them I can't bend. Kids are usually fascinated if you explain about having hardware inside you and show them an x-ray. Anyway, thy are very good about plopping their little feet up there...

Good luck with returning to school!!!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks, Susie. Although I am loving my freedom to go to the Y water classes and walk with some friends in the mornings, it's still nice to get back to some of the things I loved doing before the surgery. It makes me feel almost "normal". I think I'm only going to sub. for planned absences this year . . . so much better than the 6:00 a.m. phone call. I thought I could sit down to tie shoes, but there are so many times (like at recess & the cafeteria line) where there just isn't a chair handy. Good idea about the x-ray. I will put a picture in my school bag now. I know I have several teacher friends who I'd like to show it to as well.
      Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

You're welcome, Karen. Be sure to stick a "before" x-ray in too. Sometimes that just knocks their socks off! And I hope you find a good helper for those other times... or just say "we'll get it tied once we get inside." Our school has a bench out at recess. Or if there's something the child can prop their foot up on, it might help so you don't have to bend over very much??? Just a thought.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Congratulations on getting back to work Karen. This is a huge milestone after what you've been through (particularly the horrible pre-op time!) I think Susie Bee's advice is excellent. I know how my grandchildren are, they still treat me like I'm special because of my rods. One even took a print out of my x-rays to show and tell. Teacher said it was the most interesting show and tell in ages!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Recommend the DVD

Thanks, Jennifer. My main reason for the post is to recommend this DVD. I think that those of us with spinal fusions can safely do it and get a pretty good core and cardio workout. I have always done so many floor exercises prior to surgery, but this entire workout is from the standing position.
            Karen

Rib Hump-GONE!
            Now 66
            Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
            Retired Kdgn. Teacher

Comment

Working...
            X