No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And by the way, that view count is just for registered members I think. Since there are usually many more unregistered folks reading the forum than registered ones, it's possible you have a boatload of people following your progress!
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
      And by the way, that view count is just for registered members I think. Since there are usually many more unregistered folks reading the forum than registered ones, it's possible you have a boatload of people following your progress!
      Thanks everyone for your words of encouragment. I need them so much because I am so afraid that this will turn out like my last surgery did
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Given what's happened to you, and the pain you're in now, I can't blame you for being fearful. But this time you have a caring doctor who, it seems, will not abandon you but will see you through this. And keep in mind, lots of people had very rough early recoveries, but a few months down the track, were just fine. It's easy to say I know, but hang in there. As soon as the meds kick in, you will feel more hopeful, I'm sure.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Sending good vibes

Hi, I'm currently concentrating on sending healing energy to you. I'm not a religious person so it's the best I can do. I think in this day and age there will be a solution now you have a trustworthy surgeon. Hang in there, perhaps some relaxation training may help. I know the more stressed I get the more I notice pain and the anticipation of pain is dreadful.
          Kelly
          Progress 1 hr Nth of Sydney, Australia
          49 yrs
          55 deg thorocolumbar
          Fused T9 to L3, Aug 11th 2011

Comment

• "I know the more stressed I get the more I notice pain and the anticipation of pain is dreadful."

That's true, at least it was for me.

Hope today the pain has eased and you're able to relax more and feel more hopeful. Thinking of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
              Given what's happened to you, and the pain you're in now, I can't blame you for being fearful. But this time you have a caring doctor who, it seems, will not abandon you but will see you through this. And keep in mind, lots of people had very rough early recoveries, but a few months down the track, were just fine. It's easy to say I know, but hang in there. As soon as the meds kick in, you will feel more hopeful, I'm sure.
              As you stated, I have a caring doctor who will not abandon me. He emailed me yesterday to see how I am feeling. That just surprises me so much as I am sure
              that he has much on his mind.
              Melissa

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your prayers and good wishes. I am not doing well physically or emotionally however. Even with the steroids, I am in a lot of pain and all day yesterday I kept bursting into tears. I do not know if that is from the pain , or the thought that I am having the same problem that I had last time or my
                daughter's actions or the fact that I am 52 years old and I cannot get the thought out of my mind that I have done nothing worthwhile with my life. We were out
                looking to buy me a car and I kept crying all afternoon. By the way, I did buy a car the KIA Soul. It is so comfortable to get into and drive.

Thanks everyone for being here for me
                Melissa

Comment

• I'm so sorry to read how bad you are feeling. All I can say is, it's such early days, and I feel sure that time will heal and one day this will be just a bad dream. The meds play havoc with some patient's emotions, apart from anything else they are dealing with. I will keep checking and I hope to read that you've rounded the bend and things are improving for you. Glad you got a nice comfy car. You'll be enjoying it soon. Take care. Don't do too much sitting.

Comment

• Melissa,
                    I just know that things are going to be different for you this time. Keep the faith! The pain medications are usually the main cause for feeling depressed in addition to feeling lousy and being dependent upon others. I can remember crying for no reason at all several weeks after my surgery. I don't think your surgeon is going to let you down and we're all here for you. I honestly think that a month from now, you will feel so differently about everything.
                    Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
                    Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
                    70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
                    Rib Hump-GONE!
                    Age-60 at the time of surgery
                    Now 66
                    Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
                    Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
                    Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
                    Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
                    tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
                    http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

• You're still so early out of surgery Melissa and with the narcotics and all, I'm sure they're messing with your emotions. As others have said: hang in there!
                      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your support. I need it so much
                        Melissa

Comment

• i am so sorry, Melissa, that you are having a hard time all the way around....
                          meds like steroids can really mess with your moods...corticosteroids mess with blood
                          sugar too....i hope that doesn't interfere with your blood levels...
                          just noticed you wrote 6 days on steroids...or the steroid-like medication...
                          i hope it helps

and i hope you start to feel better real soon...

jess
                          Last edited by jrnyc; 09-26-2011, 01:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                            i am so sorry, Melissa, that you are having a hard time all the way around....
                            meds like steroids can really mess with your moods...corticosteroids mess with blood
                            sugar too....i hope that doesn't interfere with your blood levels...
                            just noticed you wrote 6 days on steroids...or the steroid-like medication...
                            i hope it helps

and i hope you start to feel better real soon...

jess
                            Thanks Jess but I am almost done with my steroids and I am not feeling any better. He wants to see me Wednesday so off I will go
                            Melissa

Comment

• I have been in Brisbane all day and have been wondering how you were. I'm so sorry to learn there has been no improvement. Roll on your appt Wednesday!

Comment

• I got a friend to drive me to see my surgeon tomorrow as it is about 1 1/2 hours and I cannot drive that far. I just wish I felt better

Thanks everyone for looking after me
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X