No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Didn't you mention earlier that your neck is not fused into the most desirable position? That's probably the problem, OR you could be having hardware issues with the hardware irritating the muscles. I hope you can find some resolution to this. Neck pain is awful and it just grates on you and triggers headaches.
    Be happy!
    We don't know what tomorrow brings,
    but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
      Didn't you mention earlier that your neck is not fused into the most desirable position? That's probably the problem, OR you could be having hardware issues with the hardware irritating the muscles. I hope you can find some resolution to this. Neck pain is awful and it just grates on you and triggers headaches.
      My NC surgeon fused my back incorrectly. That is why I am having the neck problem
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Has any one had leg cramps? These are so bad that they wake me up at night
        Melissa

Comment

• Melissa, don't know if the cramps relate to your surgeries, since i haven't had
          back surgery.....
          but just in general, my trainer from back in NYC used to say leg cramps are from dehydration....
          my mother said it was from low calcium, but i don't know if that was an old wives tale or not...
          hope they go away soon...

jess...& Sparky

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
            Melissa, don't know if the cramps relate to your surgeries, since i haven't had
            back surgery.....
            but just in general, my trainer from back in NYC used to say leg cramps are from dehydration....
            my mother said it was from low calcium, but i don't know if that was an old wives tale or not...
            hope they go away soon...

jess...& Sparky
            Thanks Jess & Sparky
            Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa,

So sorry to hear you have to have further surgeries.

I sometimes get leg cramp which I think is something to do with trapped nerves in my lower back. I get spasms because of the muscle that goes from your back into your bottom (glutes I think they are called).
              When I was in hospital relating to a blood disorder last year I did have what felt like electricity in my legs and that was due to low calcium so the problems you're having could be a few things as far as I can tell.

Hope they stop soon!

Jenna x
              27 yr old Female.
              Scoliosis since 12yrs, fusion to lower curve in 1998, costioplast 2001 and further corrective surgery 26 July 2012.
              Now the proud owner of a very straight spine. T1- L5 fusion.
              Mr Dunsmuir, Orthopaedic Surgeon, LGI Leeds.

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                Has any one had leg cramps? These are so bad that they wake me up at night
                Melissa, I get leg cramps occasionally, but I don't think they are related to my surgery. I get them if I over exercise which might be related to Jess' point of being dehydrated. I don't really know. Prior to surgery, when I would get cortisone shots, my feet would cramp up on me and wake me up at night. I had to get up and walk to stop the cramps.
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                  Melissa, I get leg cramps occasionally, but I don't think they are related to my surgery. I get them if I over exercise which might be related to Jess' point of being dehydrated. I don't really know. Prior to surgery, when I would get cortisone shots, my feet would cramp up on me and wake me up at night. I had to get up and walk to stop the cramps.
                  That is very interesting about the connection between leg cramps and cortisone shots. I just got a left SI injection and that is the leg cramping up on me
                  Melissa

Comment

• hey Melissa
                    hope the cramps aren't from the shots...
                    any chance you could be dehydrated...or low on calcium, just in case it possibly
                    could be related....???
                    i never had bad side effects from any steroid shots....until the cortisol problem, that is...
                    hope your cramps go away soon....
                    IF it is from the steroid shots....what can one do about that...?
                    did you ever have bad reaction to shots before....????

jess...& Sparky
                    Last edited by jrnyc; 06-19-2012, 05:33 PM.

Comment

hey Melissa
                      hope the cramps aren't from the shots...
                      any chance you could be dehydrated...or low on calcium, just in case it possibly
                      could be related....???
                      i never had bad side effects from any steroid shots....until the cortisol problem, that is...
                      hope your cramps go away soon....
                      IF it is from the steroid shots....what can one do about that...?
                      did you ever had bad reaction to shots before....????

jess...& Sparky
                      I never had any reaction to the shots before. I doubt that I am dehydrated. I drink water all day long. How does one know about being low on calicum?
                      Melissa

Comment

• well, they can find it with a blood test....
                        but short of that, women need to take calcium supplements every day....
                        i got lax on it for awhile, but am back to it now....i have osteopenia, so i know i need it...
                        i eat lots of yogurt now, too....espcially in summer....
                        do you take supplements...and do you get calcium from diet....??

jess...& Sparky

Comment

well, they can find it with a blood test....
                          but short of that, women need to take calcium supplements every day....
                          i got lax on it for awhile, but am back to it now....i have osteopenia, so i know i need it...
                          i eat lots of yogurt now, too....espcially in summer....
                          do you take supplements...and do you get calcium from diet....??

jess...& Sparky
                          I wish that this forum had a chat room I , also, have osteopenia .I was taking supplements but then that article came out last week about post menopausal women not taking supplements so I am very confused. I have been drinking soy milk and eating yogurt as well. When Dr Desai saw me she sent me for X-rays of my hands and feet , they showed calicum deposits around my bones. She is sending me to another doctor as she knows nothing about this matter.
                          Melissa

Comment

• Tonight is not a good night. I am in so much pain. I can't even sit back in my chair with my pillow. Besides the pain, it feels like I am being squeezed to death
                            Melissa

Comment

• so sorry you are in such awful pain tonite...without a way to have relief...
                              what do you mean by squeezed....?
                              is it like you cannot breathe...?
                              do you think you should head to the ER????

jess

Comment

• Melissa--
                                Recently I've just glanced on here and thought the shots were helping. I'm so sorry that you are in so much pain. I surely hope you are better by this AM or have had it checked with dr. Sure been thinking of you. Janet
                                Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                                Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                                Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                                Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                                T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Working...
                                X