No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there is no such thing as too much sleep! Your body needs the rest and time to repair itself for all it went through! At this point, you're like an infant who only needs to eat, sleep and poop LOL. Ok, with a little walking thrown in there too!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
      there is no such thing as too much sleep! Your body needs the rest and time to repair itself for all it went through! At this point, you're like an infant who only needs to eat, sleep and poop LOL. Ok, with a little walking thrown in there too!
      Thanks I am getting used to doing nothing. It is a very strange feeling for me. I really cannot remember a time when I have done nothing. I am kind of getting used to it.

Melissa
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
        Absolutely, get all the sleep you can.

I am a poor sleeper usually but after my surgery, I slept 10-11 hours a night then often 2-3 hours during the day. It was wonderful.

Are you able to walk a little every day?
        I am able to walk every day. I walk when my son gets home from school in the afternoon and I walk when my husband gets home from work in the evening
        Melissa

Comment

That's great! Debbei's absolutely right.

Enjoy your "doing nothing" while you can!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            That's great! Debbei's absolutely right.

Enjoy your "doing nothing" while you can!
            I intend to as it will not last very long
            Melissa

Comment

I could definitely get used to this life of being a slug. Gee , I hope that October 5th does not come too quickly. Napping is a very pleasant way to pass the time as is talking on
              the phone . Playing games online with my daughter in NC is great as well
              Last edited by mabeckoff; 09-19-2011, 10:08 PM.
              Melissa

Comment

glad that you are doing better, Melissa
                what happens on October 5th?

jess

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                  I could definitely get used to this life of being a slug. Gee , I hope that October 5th does not come too quickly. Napping is a very pleasant way to pass the time as is talking on
                  the phone . Playing games online with my daughter in NC is great as well
                  Melissa...

You should be limiting your sitting to a max of about 45 minutes at a time. Be careful of getting so caught up in a game that you sit for too long. Our patients are told that they should spend 1/3 of their time sitting, 1/3 standing and/or walking, and 1/3 of the time sleeping. It definitely seems that the people I see who are active (without being reckless), recover quicker than those who are sedentary.

That's my motivational speech for today.

--Linda
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                    glad that you are doing better, Melissa
                    what happens on October 5th?

jess
                    October 5th is when I see Dr Bederman and he will be sending me for PT

Melissa
                    Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                      Melissa...

You should be limiting your sitting to a max of about 45 minutes at a time. Be careful of getting so caught up in a game that you sit for too long. Our patients are told that they should spend 1/3 of their time sitting, 1/3 standing and/or walking, and 1/3 of the time sleeping. It definitely seems that the people I see who are active (without being reckless), recover quicker than those who are sedentary.

That's my motivational speech for today.

--Linda
                      Linda,

Thanks for the guidelines. I was never told that before. Now I have a schedule for doing nothing

Have a good day

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

• It started last night and it has continued this morning, My lower spine and left leg are in so much pain. I can hardly put any weight on my left leg at all.

Melissa
                        Melissa

Comment

• Today has not been a good day at all for me. I am in much pain
                          Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                            It started last night and it has continued this morning, My lower spine and left leg are in so much pain. I can hardly put any weight on my left leg at all.

Melissa
                            This same thing happened to me after my first surgery 20 years ago, and it scared me to death. I called the doc and told him the radiculopathy had returned, and he suggested I not sit so much. Within a few days of pulling back on sitting, my pain got better.

Hang in there. You will have ups and downs. 99.9% of the time, they mean nothing.

This time around, when I had bad days, i tried not to dwell on it. It seemed like every time I told someone that I'd had a really good day, I'd have a really bad day. So, I stopped talking about it. When I finally posted that I was feeling great, I actually had been feeling great for weeks, but was afraid to jinx it.

Hope tomorrow is a better day. Before you know it, your good days will way outnumber your bad days.

--Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                              This same thing happened to me after my first surgery 20 years ago, and it scared me to death. I called the doc and told him the radiculopathy had returned, and he suggested I not sit so much. Within a few days of pulling back on sitting, my pain got better.

Hang in there. You will have ups and downs. 99.9% of the time, they mean nothing.

This time around, when I had bad days, i tried not to dwell on it. It seemed like every time I told someone that I'd had a really good day, I'd have a really bad day. So, I stopped talking about it. When I finally posted that I was feeling great, I actually had been feeling great for weeks, but was afraid to jinx it.

Hope tomorrow is a better day. Before you know it, your good days will way outnumber your bad days.

--Linda
                              Thank you Linda for your advice. I do hope that I start feeling better . The pain in my left leg and my lower pain is now very bad and is constant. I can barely
                              put my foot down to walk on it
                              Melissa

Comment

• Is it any better, Melissa?
                                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                                X