No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa, regarding the paratransit Linda mentioned....
    i know there are paratransit "Access-a-Ride" type services in most towns..they have it in
    NYC, and i saw such vans carryng people in CA when i was out there...
    it can take a while to get "approved" but once that is done, a person can call for a ride
    and be accommodated...it is not like having a car service at your disposal, but it is better
    than having no ride at all...they do the driving, so no worries about that...
    also, some churches and other kinds of religious organizations have people who volunteer
    to help...it is possible you could get a ride to doctor appts that way...

jess
    Last edited by jrnyc; 03-28-2012, 10:22 PM.

Comment

• I live in a small town and they have medical transits to the "bigger city" hospitals... Maybe you could call the hospital where your doctor is affiliated.
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

• I am having my SI injection done at UCI. The appt scheduling with the other pain management doctor was too hard to deal with.
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• FDA considering banning vicodin and percocet

http://www.healthcentral.com/chronic...rcocet/?ap=825

Has everyone heard about this?
          Melissa

Comment

• Yes, Tylenol is the new evil.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Tylenol is not really the new evil. The problem is that people take tylenol in addition to Vicoden and Percocet, therefore overdosing on tylenol. I was never prescribed Vicoden or Percocet. Instead I was prescribed oxycondone and Tylenol separately so that I wouldn't overdose of tylenol.
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                Tylenol is not really the new evil. The problem is that people take tylenol in addition to Vicoden and Percocet, therefore overdosing on tylenol. I was never prescribed Vicoden or Percocet. Instead I was prescribed oxycondone and Tylenol separately so that I wouldn't overdose of tylenol.
                That makes sense because people still need these painkillers at different points in their life
                Last edited by mabeckoff; 03-30-2012, 07:38 PM.
                Melissa

Comment

• Scar itching very badly

My scar , which is 8 months old, has started itching terribly the last several days. It has not done that before at all. What is going on?
                  Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                    Yes, Tylenol is the new evil.
                    My son's MD (psychiatrist) said that tylenol was THE most dangerous drug out there in terms of overdoses because of the irreversible liver damage. It is especially dangerous to teens or any others that want to feign "suicide" for attention because it's a real killer and those same kids either end up really dead or on the liver transplant list. Also, mom's accidentally overdosing their infants and children was mentioned... In his view, it shouldn't be otc.

When I had my last surgery (non-back related) I was given straight oxycodone without the tylenol so that I could regulate my own tylenol intake and take more of the narcotic IF I needed it without worrying about overdosing on tylenol.

Just an FYI for anyone out there: Anything with APAP on the label has tylenol (acetaminophen), as that is the shortened drug name so you might want to check the prescriptions. For example if you take percocet, it will say oxycodon APAP 5/350 which means 5mg of oxycodone and 350mg of acetaminophen. I'm pretty sure that the FDA lowered the daily intake from 4g (4000mg)/day to 3g (3000mg)/day, but I could be mistaken. I NEVER take more than 3000mg/day as I believe that is the current standard. I worry because I take it EVERY day in my meds... :-(
                    Be happy!
                    but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                      My scar , which is 8 months old, has started itching terribly the last several days. It has not done that before at all. What is going on?
                      My c-section scar itched and hurt for years. It still hurts if it is touched and it's over 19 years old! However, for a new itch, I might call the doc or have someone look at it to make sure there's no infection. Usually itching is a sign of healing/nerve regeneration. It can't hurt to call and ask. I hope it's nothing!
                      Be happy!
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                        My c-section scar itched and hurt for years. It still hurts if it is touched and it's over 19 years old! However, for a new itch, I might call the doc or have someone look at it to make sure there's no infection. Usually itching is a sign of healing/nerve regeneration. It can't hurt to call and ask. I hope it's nothing!
                        Thanks I will follow up
                        Melissa

Comment

• It's probably as rohrer says, the nerves are regenerating. Is it warm to touch, or swollen? If not, I don't think it will be anything to worry about, however, it won't hurt to have it checked out.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                            It's probably as rohrer says, the nerves are regenerating. Is it warm to touch, or swollen? If not, I don't think it will be anything to worry about, however, it won't hurt to have it checked out.
                            That is exactly what Dr Bederman said.
                            Melissa

Comment

• I had a very good day today. My DH and myself went to Joshua Tree NP. I took two different hikes. The first one was 1/2 mile and the second one was 1.3 miles. I feel it in my right hip and leg so I will see tomorrow how much pain I will be in the morning
                              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa

This is probably the best news we have seen from you....been waiting a long time for this post!

You know I did quite a bit of hiking....and yes, you will be sore. I never did give up, and it all worked out in the end.

Keep up the good work! Get yourself some walking sticks or ski poles.

Ed
                                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Working...
                                X