September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa

I have no idea on the next date, and Linda probably doesn’t know since they just had one last December. (smiley face)
    Hopefully, in a year. You should be doing much better by then....

I would like to bring a list of questions for the doctors but, answers are much more difficult than questions.....this is why many will be short with answers....its difficult to give correct answers in a sentence when it needs a lecture.

Jess
    For flights across the country, JFK, or Newark to San Francisco is the way to go. Don’t forget your pillows and munchies! If you stop in Memphis, you can always pick up an Elvis clock with swinging legs. BTW, Graceland is only a few minutes away from the Memphis airport, just in case....I flew there once and realized this “after” I left and never got to visit.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• hey Ed
      well familiar with JFK, but i live in New England now...it is 3 hours to Penn Station, another hour to JFK...
      or...connecting flights out of airport in Hartford...
      now, i do admit that i have much experience flying to my favorite part of CA...SOUTHERN...the SUNNY part...
      not so much experience flying to the northern, colder part....the dampness of SF KILLS my arthritis...
      so i have not investigated flying to SF that much...sister in Oakland, a town i do not like (understatement
      out of respect for those Oaklanders on forum)
      my last flight out of Hartford scheduled 11 hours, including 2 stop overs....it was to LA, or i could go to Long
      Beach, my favorite airport...also 11 hours from here...

travel was bad with the pain...then the SI joint shots did a lot...
      now i have severely low cortisol, and it is an effort to breathe....total exhaustion....
      i'll have to see what the docs can do for that....

jess

Comment

• I am going to try the Lidoderm patches tomorrow I hope that I get some relief. I am so glad that I have insurance as I paid $50 but the cost would have been $601.99 if I had no insurance .

Think good thoughts
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• I tried the Lidoderm patches this morning and within three hours I had to take them off. While they did help with the pain, I felt so bad and I only put one patch on.I cut in into two pieces. I will try them tonight and see what happens while I sleep.
          Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
            I tried the Lidoderm patches this morning and within three hours I had to take them off. While they did help with the pain, I felt so bad and I only put one patch on.I cut in into two pieces. I will try them tonight and see what happens while I sleep.
            What do you mean "I felt so bad"? Like nauseated?

--Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              What do you mean "I felt so bad"? Like nauseated?

--Linda
              I was dizzy and could not stay awake. Also, I could not concentrate on what people were saying
              Melissa

Comment

• They must be powerful Melissa! Good idea to try them halved. Hope you get a good night's sleep.
                Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Melissa, i never knew of Lidoderm patches to be so powerful!
                  i think you should let your prescribing doctor know how you reacted to them...
                  i thought it numbed....main ingredient is lidocaine...
                  i looked it up...it has a lot of ingredients besides the main one...

jess
                  Last edited by jrnyc; 03-03-2012, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                    Melissa, i never knew of Lidoderm patches to be so powerful!
                    i think you should let your prescribing doctor know how you reacted to them...
                    i thought it numbed....main ingredient is lidocaine...
                    i looked it up...it has a lot of ingredients besides the main one...

jess
                    I will call him Monday and let him know
                    Melissa

Comment

• Well, I put the patches on when I went to sleep and I had no reaction to the patches this time. They .also, did not work at all. I am so discouraged. Am I going to be in pain forever?
                      Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa...

Sorry you got not relief. Where did you put the patch(es)?

By the way, you are not supposed to use Lidoderm patches for more than 12 hours in a 24 hour period. I'm not sure why that is, but the warnings are pretty strong.

--Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• I've tried lidoderm patches. The only effect that I got was numbing of the skin, not where my pain was, which was much deeper. People can react to Lidocaine. That is probably why the warning. I had several trigger point injections with lidocaine as the numbing agent. My face and tongue went numb, then my left leg went numb and it became difficult to walk. My doc has since had to limit the lidocaine usage, to my chagrin when having multiple shots.

The point I'm making is, that medication absorbed through the skin still gets into the blood stream. The really good thing about these patches is that they can be trimmed to fit where you need them. They can be cut into pieces and used in multiple places.

I would say that since, with your first encounter, you did have some pain relief, there is hope that these will work on some types of pain that you are having. Perhaps the nighttime usage didn't work because you were trying to treat the wrong kind of pain with it. Like I said at first, I didn't find them to be helpful for the deeper bone type pain, or for my nerve pain. You at least sound like you have some hope of finding some relief somewhere for your pain. I would still let your doc know about your reaction. But, perhaps, you should just use a smaller piece wherever it was that actually helped. It may have been that you placed the patch near a close surface vein and it got readily into your blood stream (just a guess). My PCP told me that they do actually use lidocaine intraveinously sometimes to treat pain. I'm sure that would really knock a person for a lulu!

Take Care,
                          Rohrer01
                          Be happy!
                          We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                          but we are alive today!

Comment

• I wonder if you can build up a tolerance to the side effects? Perhaps if you use 3/4 of one in the same area you put the whole one yesterday, you might get an even balance of pain relief without too much side effect. I really wish this would work well for you.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• i know that some people react to lidocaine in dentist office, with heart palpitations,
                              so they use carbocaine instead..
                              i never found help from lidoderm....it just numbed the upper most part
                              of my back, the skin, and didn't go deeper....

i hope you are NOT in pain forever, Melissa....
                              i hope there is a doctor who will find the answers for you, and that
                              time will help heal some areas....

jess
                              Last edited by jrnyc; 03-08-2012, 04:40 PM.

Comment

• Well, It is official. We are homeowners again.This time in CA.We will have plenty of room for guests so come and visit
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X