No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have decided that I will be leaving this forum. I do not have any more to add . I wish everyone good luck with their surgeries.
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Nobody could blame you for feeling very down about this consultation. I do hope you change your mind and return to the forum because you need somewhere to vent, someone to listen to you, even if none of us can actually help, and get some sort of feedback when you tell it like it is. People care about how you're faring Melissa and want to see you through this, even if the end result isn't as good as you surely deserve. It's not over until the fat lady sings, and there's no sign of her yet, so keep battling on. We're still behind you.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• dear Melissa
        i am so sorry he couldnt offfer you more...
        i hope you do come back to forum....
        people care about you....

jess

Comment

• Melissa - in the off-chance you check in again, we all care very much about you & wish you the best outcome possible. We stumble across the forum when we're at our wit's end, seeking any info about scoliosis, pour out our fears, troubles, successes, and while learning from others' knowledge & situations, we bond. She's right, you do need an outlet.
          Truly sorry you're in so much pain & hope that you persevere & find some reduction of pain.
          You're still in my daily prayers.
          LeighAnn
          Mom of 14yo son diagnosed Oct 2011
          Surgery 1/3/12 w Dr. Geof Cronen,
          Tampa General Hospital T3 to L1
          Jacob's pre surg curves: T58 & L31 12/28/11
          photos & xrays in "First-Time Surgery" thread "Before & After"

Comment

• Melissa--
            I'm sorry there wasn't more the doctor could offer you. Did you feel he was sincere and the things he suggested are worth pursuing? It must be so hard to deal with day in and day out. I hope you stick with the forum. You are one of the main reasons I check on here to see how you are doing. I feel so bad about your situation. Whether back here or not, I will continue to pray for you and a path to less pain. Take care! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Well, I guess that I cannot leave the forum. I have received many emails and PMS from posters that asked me not to leave. So I guess that you are stuck with me .
              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                Well, I guess that I cannot leave the forum. I have received many emails and PMS from posters that asked me not to leave. So I guess that you are stuck with me .
                I'm glad you've decided to come back.

Hope I'm not giving away anything private when I mention that one of the reasons you gave for deciding to leave was that you feel that you post only negative things about your recovery. And as I responded to you, I happen to believe there is real value to your thread. While I don't mean to scare the crap out of anyone, I think it's important for everyone considering surgery to know that this surgery is a very serious thing, and it can potentially destroy the life one has come to know. In other words... "if you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ;-)

--Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• So glad you made that decision! I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see you through to a much improved situation with your pain. You're seeing the fibro doctor in April, aren't you? I'm hopeful this doctor can help you with your overall pain levels. Meantime, rest and be good to yourself and I hope your house-move goes smoothly.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• So glad you have changed your mind about leaving the forum. We are your friends here and we will listen when no one else in your life will. I am trying to wean myself off of the forum because I am so busy with other things, but it probably won't happen because I care about the people here. While you may never be pain free, there is always room for hope. I will never be pain free myself. Arthritis is partly to blame along with nerve pain. At least, I have a life now that I wouldn't have had without surgery. I am amazed at all I can do and am amazed at what you are able to do this soon after so many surgeries. Once you have your shoulder fixed, my suggestion to you would be to get yourself a hobby or a sport and immerse yourself in something you really love to do and I guarantee you that you will forget your pain even if it is only for a short time. Pain can be so wearing. Have you ever tried biofeedback? I haven't myself but it might be something to look into.
                    Sorry this post is so disjointed. I just wanted you to know that we are all family here and we love you.
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                      I'm glad you've decided to come back.

Hope I'm not giving away anything private when I mention that one of the reasons you gave for deciding to leave was that you feel that you post only negative things about your recovery. And as I responded to you, I happen to believe there is real value to your thread. While I don't mean to scare the crap out of anyone, I think it's important for everyone considering surgery to know that this surgery is a very serious thing, and it can potentially destroy the life one has come to know. In other words... "if you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning." ;-)

--Linda
                      Thanks Linda I have never been called a horrible warning. I do appreciate it
                      Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                        So glad you made that decision! I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting to see you through to a much improved situation with your pain. You're seeing the fibro doctor in April, aren't you? I'm hopeful this doctor can help you with your overall pain levels. Meantime, rest and be good to yourself and I hope your house-move goes smoothly.
                        Thanks Jennifer I am not seeing the fibro doctor until May7th . I keep calling for a cancellation. In April, I am having my shoulder worked on
                        Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                          So glad you have changed your mind about leaving the forum. We are your friends here and we will listen when no one else in your life will. I am trying to wean myself off of the forum because I am so busy with other things, but it probably won't happen because I care about the people here. While you may never be pain free, there is always room for hope. I will never be pain free myself. Arthritis is partly to blame along with nerve pain. At least, I have a life now that I wouldn't have had without surgery. I am amazed at all I can do and am amazed at what you are able to do this soon after so many surgeries. Once you have your shoulder fixed, my suggestion to you would be to get yourself a hobby or a sport and immerse yourself in something you really love to do and I guarantee you that you will forget your pain even if it is only for a short time. Pain can be so wearing. Have you ever tried biofeedback? I haven't myself but it might be something to look into.
                          Sorry this post is so disjointed. I just wanted you to know that we are all family here and we love you.
                          Sally
                          Thanks Sally. I do feel that this is family as we understand each other like other cannot. I am eager to get back to my hobbies . I sew and bake and love to entertain.
                          Melissa

Comment

• Melissa

We didn’t have much of a choice in having our surgeries....many of us don’t. I think about how lucky I am in having my surgeries, and then I think about patients like yourself, and many others that I know, that have had such a tough road. You truly are a trooper, and have given this a good shot....I don’t think that I would want to hear that all hope is lost, because it isn’t. Nobody wants to hear that and it would probably be a good idea to just shrug this off and continue and hope and pray that things will improve. You know they will in time. If you are having a few good days, that’s a sign of hope.

My neck has really been bothering me and I’m going in to see my surgeon. It sometimes feels like I have a 30# sack of potatoes on my head, lying down in bed. What the heck? Sigh...I try not to get too depressed myself, but no matter what happens, I’m prepared for more I guess...

I will always post here in some capacity.....and you should also. Even if it’s a terrible joke, just a little laugh once in a while is worth a fortune.

Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Oh, Melissa! I don't want you to go away. I know your appointment with the pain guy was not what you were hoping, but to be quite honest I take offense to what he told you. This is one man's opinion. I actually had a doctor (anesthesiologist) tell me that I will always have pain, too. My situation isn't ANYTHING as complicated as yours. The fact is, these doctors are human beings with their own opinions. He did offer you some things you can try if you are willing. What if these things work? Then he's just proven himself wrong. I don't understand how he could say that he won't prescribe you narcotics and then turn around and write a script for dilaudid (a very powerful narcotic). Is this just a few pills to get you by, or will he continue to prescribe them? I guess one of the things that really gets to me is the fact that, while docs have to be honest with their patients, they can NOT dogmatically predict what the future holds for each person. To me, it's like robbing a person of hope. The mind is VERY powerful, and robbing us of hope only feeds discouragement.

My advice would be to get a second opinion as soon as you can. If you want to try some of the procedures he mentioned to see if they work, go ahead and do so. Also, if this doctor is correct in saying that you will always be in pain, there is nothing unethical AT ALL about prescribing long term narcotics to help control your pain and give you more of a normal life. A drug addict is someone who seeks out drugs for nonmedical reasons. I know more than a couple of people who suffer from fibromyalgia and are on long term pain management via drugs. It just has to be monitored. So for this reason and the fact that he is recommending a surgical procedure, I would seek out a second, if not a third opinion. It may be that you have pain for the rest of your life, but you may be able to get it reduced to a tolerable level. And to be quite honest, how many of us, as we age, don't end up with chronic pain?

Anyway, my lecture/vent is over. Don't let ANYONE rob you of hope. I don't see your surgical example as a terrible one. You have so many other things going on besides scoliosis. It just may be that when you get settled into your new house, get some of your other medical issues taken care of and fall into a routine of things such as hobbies, etc. that were mentioned earlier, you may just find your pain has dulled to a tolerable level.

I wish you the very best, and STAY!
                              Rohrer01
                              Be happy!
                              We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• so glad you changed your mind!
                                i want you to stay, and i see others do too...
                                many others, too
                                so apparently, lots of us want to be "stuck" with you....

i hope you find more things, more people, who can help you...
                                in the meantime, getting back to hobbies sounds like a good thing,
                                doing things you enjoy.....
                                i think it is a matter of balance....
                                and trying to do things that give us pleasure, when we are up to
                                doing them...

welcome back...
                                jess...& Sparky

Comment

Working...
                                X