September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
    From my July 2011 surgery, I am about 7 months out. I am trying to figure out if this feeling of tight skin is a surgical or fibro problem. Did any one else have this feeling? I did not have it after my first surgery

Thanks
    I'm only 3 months post op and my skin feels very tight across the middle of my back. Not sure if it has anything to do with the cold weather or not. I keep asking my hubby to rub creme on my back and asked him if the skin looks ok since it feels very dry and tight. He said it looks fine. Odd, huh?

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
      I'm only 3 months post op and my skin feels very tight across the middle of my back. Not sure if it has anything to do with the cold weather or not. I keep asking my hubby to rub creme on my back and asked him if the skin looks ok since it feels very dry and tight. He said it looks fine. Odd, huh?

Warmly,
      Doreen
      I am thinking that it is one of fibro problems because I am having so many fibro issues going on now. I cannot sleep because I just cannot tolerate lying in bed ;every position brings more pain issues .
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Tgif......................
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• I thought this one was pretty funny. I mean, you have to have a good sense of humor.

Can anybody name the surgeon? LOL
          Ed
          Attached Files
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• I cannot wait until Monday. I will be seeing the pain management Doctor. I certainty hope that he can help me
            Melissa

Comment

• Wow, Melissa - I have really missed quite a lot since preparing for and having my surgeries. I'm so sorry for all the pain and all that's going on with you! With 51 thread pages, maybe you could give me the short low down but this is what I've read: your moving (!!!), shoulder surgeon (??), fibromyalgia, oh my. I hope you find some much needed and long overdue relief. You are certainly in my prayers. ((hugs))
              -Michele
              1993/1995: PSF w/ Harrington rods T3-L4
              Jan. 24, 2012: ALIF of L4-L5, L5-S1 w/ cage spacer and BMP
              Jan. 31, 2012: PLIF of L1-S1 w/ pelvic anchors
              Scheduled Nov.15, 2012: Fusion T2-S1 w/ pelvic anchors to fix T12 fracture
              http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ot/myback2.jpg - BEFORE
              http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT2342x406.jpg - AFTER
              http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...CT1410x229.jpg - AFTER
              www.jerseyot.blogspot.com

Comment

• they have many different ways of addressing pain...
                i bet they can find a way to alleviate your pain....i hope they find it quickly...
                you have suffered for too long!

jess

Comment

• Hoping you get some answers and relief on Monday Melissa! (It's Monday here, so not long now.)
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                    Hoping you get some answers and relief on Monday Melissa! (It's Monday here, so not long now.)
                    Thanks Jennifer .I will post here the details after I get home
                    Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
                      they have many different ways of addressing pain...
                      i bet they can find a way to alleviate your pain....i hope they find it quickly...
                      you have suffered for too long!

jess
                      Jess,

I am so in agreement with you. I need relief and this doctor is known to be the best at this hospital. That is why Dr Bederman wants me to see this Doctor.
                      Melissa

Comment

• Wish me luck .I am off to see the pain management Doctor this afternoon. I hope that I can post some good news
                        Melissa

Comment

• Melissa--
                          I'm too late to wiswh you luck but praying for an answer for you today! Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• I hope things went great. Waiting to hear. Hope the drive was not bad thank god for friends. reneetina
                            60 yrs old did scuba,lift & work. Miss all.
                            1st t surgery,28 years. L4/5 fusion
                            2nd surgery 10-19; went from 2 80%+ curves to 20% + 30%.T4-S1,38 screws (loose & angled wrong), 15 fusions many fusions did not take,& horrific had/have(?) infection.
                            Lot of pain.

Comment

• Today was not a good day. I did meet with this pain management Doctor and the impression he gave me was not good. He did not want to give me narcotics. But He did agree to give me 4mgs of Dilauidid. He gave me 2 LIDODERM patches. He is going to give me another injection in my right hip in a week or two. This will be done using a Xray as opposed to the last one I received. After that he wants to burn my nerves in my back.If that does not work, he has no other ideas. He , also, told me that I have much arthritis . He did not sound very hopeful about me being pain free in my life time. I know that I had to have the surgery but I am very depressed
                              Last edited by mabeckoff; 02-27-2012, 11:56 PM.
                              Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa...

Sorry it wasn't better news.

Unfortunately, I think it's actually pretty rare that anyone who has had multiple spine surgeries is ever pain free. While I'm really happy with the result of my own surgeries, I'm not pain free, and I don't ever expect to be. I am WAY better than I was before surgery, and that's good enough for me. My goal was to improve my function, and that goal was truly met. The fact that you've had way more surgery, and have so many issues in addition to your spine, doesn't bode well for having a pain free life.

I say all this, mostly as a warning to others going into surgery with potentially unrealistic expectations. When the surgeons tell you that there's no guarantee that they'll improve your pain, they aren't just saying that to scare you. It's probable that your back pain will get better with surgery, but it's also fairly likely that you'll have new pain. For some reason, that new pain is often much harder to deal with than the old pain.

Melissa, I hope you can figure out a way to significantly reduce your pain, and hopefully get some coping skills for dealing with the pain that remains. You've had a lot done, and still have more to go through. Change is not going to happen overnight. In the meantime, try to enjoy the rare moments when there is no pain.

Regards,
                                Linda
                                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                                X