No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The in house ot is scheduled to come today to do an eval of me. So we shall see

Thanks everyone for your good wishes
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Hi, Melissa. It was good to hear that you had an outing. How is your back pain? In my unprofessional opinion, the left side of your neck may hurt as muscles are trying to compensate for the lack in your right hand/arm/shoulder. If, in fact, you do have a rotator cuff tear, you have to remember that many of the "shoulder" muscles are connected to your neck. So it makes sense to me that you would start getting pain in the opposite side. I'm concerned that you haven't regained neurologic function in your hand. I don't think that would have anything to do with rotator cuff problems. I have a friend who had the rotator cuff surgery twice on the same shoulder. It never affected his ability to use his hand. It only affected his ability to use his shoulder. I really wish, for your sake, you would get that checked out with an MRI or something just to make sure that there isn't a piece of bone at the nerve root leading to your hand. I'm sure it would be easy to miss something like that during a surgery. We've all seen what the open spine looks like when they operate. I'm surprised that the surgeons can tell one structure from another, to be honest, as it all looks so meaty. Anyway, I'm really hoping you get to the bottom of this and start feeling better soon. Are you right handed? If so, double the concern to get well soon! Take care and gentle (((hugs))).
      Be happy!
      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
      but we are alive today!

Comment

• Dr Bederman is scheduling me for a shoulder MRI so we shall see

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words
        Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
          Dr Bederman is scheduling me for a shoulder MRI so we shall see

Thanks everyone for your encouraging words
          I hope he includes the c-spine with that MRI. It will save you from having to have another one if nothing shows up with your shoulder. Let us know how it goes.
          Be happy!
          but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
            I hope he includes the c-spine with that MRI. It will save you from having to have another one if nothing shows up with your shoulder. Let us know how it goes.

I will discuss that with him
            Melissa

Comment

• My in house PT is starting tomorrow.
              Melissa

Comment

• Hang in there. I have been following your thread for inspiration. You are a very strong woman. It remember it only can go up from here.

Annabelle

Comment

• Originally posted by annabeller View Post
                  Hang in there. I have been following your thread for inspiration. You are a very strong woman. It remember it only can go up from here.

Annabelle
                  Thanks . I am trying
                  Melissa

Comment

• Well, today was tiring. I had both OT and Pt at home. They will be coming 3 times a week for the next several weeks
                    Melissa

Comment

• Glad that it's started Melissa. I just got back from a weekend away and was wondering how you were doing. I guess it'll take a few visits before you start to get improvements. Best of luck!
                      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Well, today was tiring. I had both OT and Pt at home. They will be coming 3 times a week for the next several weeks
                        I'm so sorry that you are tired from your therapy. You are one lucky lady, though, to have them come to you instead of you going to them! Besides, I'm sure it makes the day pass more quickly, which means one more day of recovery "in the past". I hope you were able to get some rest. Take care.
                        Be happy!
                        but we are alive today!

Comment

• Today , Sunday has been a horrible day. I went to bed last night at 8:30am and got up today at noon. I am in horrible pain. I do not know if it is from the cold
                          weather we are having here in CA. I am , also, very depressed. Off and on I have had crying spells. I do not know what is going on
                          Melissa

Comment

Today , Sunday has been a horrible day. I went to bed last night at 8:30am and got up today at noon. I am in horrible pain. I do not know if it is from the cold
                            weather we are having here in CA. I am , also, very depressed. Off and on I have had crying spells. I do not know what is going on
                            Melissa...

Depression after a major surgery or illness is very common. If you are not taking an anti-depressant (or even if you are), talk to a doctor as soon as is reasonable. I am not prone to depression, but definitely had a huge depression about 6 weeks after my surgery. I have taken a very small dose of nortriptyline for about 20 years for a sleeping issue, but stopped taking it after surgery, as I didn't feel it was necessary with all the other drugs. When I realized that I was really depressed, I went back on nortriptyline, and started feeling better within a few days.

Hope you can get things under control quickly.

Regards,
                            Linda
                            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                              Melissa...

Depression after a major surgery or illness is very common. If you are not taking an anti-depressant (or even if you are), talk to a doctor as soon as is reasonable. I am not prone to depression, but definitely had a huge depression about 6 weeks after my surgery. I have taken a very small dose of nortriptyline for about 20 years for a sleeping issue, but stopped taking it after surgery, as I didn't feel it was necessary with all the other drugs. When I realized that I was really depressed, I went back on nortriptyline, and started feeling better within a few days.

Hope you can get things under control quickly.

Regards,
                              Linda
                              Thanks Linda

DO you think that Dr Bederman can help me with that medication?
                              Melissa

Comment

Thanks Linda

DO you think that Dr Bederman can help me with that medication?
                                It depends on his office rules, but I'm guessing that he'll help. At the UCSF Spine Center, we have a nurse practitioner who handles drugs for 3 months postop, but then then prescriptions have to be transferred to patients' primary care doctors or pain management doctors.

--Linda
                                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                                X