No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perhaps you can at least arrange to skype or something during that 6 hours. It is a thought, anyway. That way you could see her and she could see you. I am not sure if you could make arrangements or not. Have you ever skyped with anyone on the computer? I have a grandson who lives 1,000 miles away and it is one way to keep in touch when you can't visit often. Even when they are babies you can see them and wave. Again, just a thought, and totally dependent on the people in NC.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• We are supposed to Skype once a week. But he will not pin down a date and time. So we shall see.

Thanks everyone
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Melissa, I feel so sorry for you and your family. I live very close to all of my grandchildren so I get to see them all of the time. It will be so hard not to get to see her and be such a big part of her life. Grandparents are so important and it is too bad that she has to live so far away.
        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
        Right scapulectomy 6/15
        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
        Broken neck 9/28/2018
        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
        Osteotomy

Comment

• Melissa - I wonder if there is any way for you to work with David so that if you make a trip you could see her with accumulated time -- so you could see her for at least a few hours a day for maybe 4 days or something. I understand Jackie's wonderful situation, but hubby and I moved 2,000 miles away from our parents and my children still felt/feel (my parents are now gone) very close to them with just the once or maybe twice a year visits and phone calls and letters. You CAN make this work, I am sure. Can your 6 hours a week involve sending things to be opened (pictures of you? tiny gifts?) or are those not allowed? There are those places, I think they are called supervised visitation, and it's possible if David is unwilling to set up a skype time or let you see her, that something can be arranged through one of those (or you can say he will need to do so). I have no idea how much they cost, but I'm sure you can google them and find out some information. When she is older, your 6 hours can be phone conversations, although skype will be so much better because she will be able to see your gentle, caring face. Our grandson who lives 1,000 miles away loves us dearly even though we see him no more than twice a year. He looks forward to our trips immensely! And when we skype, he is so disappointed if BOTH of us aren't here! Quality is the key, not just quantity. Love is the essential factor and you have that. Best wishes with all of this. Praying for you!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• The granddaughter situation is on hold for the time being so I am having my broken rod fixed at the beginning of December. I saw Dr Bederman today and he agreed that my rod needs fixing. It will most likely fix my pain about 50% but that is better than what I have now.

Melissa
            Melissa

Comment

• My surgery date is going to be December 8th and I should be in the hospital about 5 nights .

Then I shall see where I want to do after that
              Melissa

Comment

• Good luck Melissa your one tough cookie
                Kara
                Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                T4-L2
                Before 50T
                After 20T

Comment

• Originally posted by kennedy View Post
                  Good luck Melissa your one tough cookie
                  Thank you Kennedy for your good wishes.

Pat yourself on your back, as well. You have been thru much also.

Melissa
                  Melissa

Comment

• Thanks for letting us know Melissa. I'll be thinking of you and wishing you all the very best.
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Good luck Melissa I hope all goes well. I have my next(and I hope last) surgery on November 19th.
                      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                      Right scapulectomy 6/15
                      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                      Broken neck 9/28/2018
                      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                      Osteotomy

Comment

• Broken rod

Melissa, I see your having your broken rod fixed the 8th of Dec.
                        My last revision with Lenke was for a broken rod a year and half ago.(very lower spine)
                        Is yours in the lower section? They took all my hardware out and redid everything. But every situation is different. I had the flatback syndrome and bad saggital imbalance. I still am bent a little forward.
                        Anyway, best of luck and hoping you recover with flying colors!!! Warm thoughts of you this Holiday Season~~~
                        Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                        Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                        This started adult onset scoliosis
                        July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                        Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                        May 30th 2013 revision
                        May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                        May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                          Melissa, I see your having your broken rod fixed the 8th of Dec.
                          My last revision with Lenke was for a broken rod a year and half ago.(very lower spine)
                          Is yours in the lower section? They took all my hardware out and redid everything. But every situation is different. I had the flatback syndrome and bad saggital imbalance. I still am bent a little forward.
                          Anyway, best of luck and hoping you recover with flying colors!!! Warm thoughts of you this Holiday Season~~~
                          Warm thoughts of you as well this holiday season . My broken rod is actually my left SI joint that was fused last June. He is going to check the entire hardware to make sure that there is nothing else broken. I have been having pain on my right side.

Thanks

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

• Now I am very frightened. I am now going to be in the hospital without a phone. We switched phone carriers this week and my phone is broken. The fastest that I can get a replacement phone is Tuesday which means that I cannot call out if I need something or get any calls from my friends.
                            Melissa

Comment

• My husband uses his for work and if I took either of my childrens then I could not talk to them.

Also, my friends only have my number
                              Last edited by mabeckoff; 12-05-2014, 07:26 PM.
                              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                                Now I am very frightened. I am now going to be in the hospital without a phone. We switched phone carriers this week and my phone is broken. The fastest that I can get a replacement phone is Tuesday which means that I cannot call out if I need something or get any calls from my friends.
                                Can you just buy a cheap $9.99 straight talk or pay as you go phone from Walmart or someplace that way you can at least call or text for a few days? You might be able to even give those your temporary number. Just a thought =)
                                Hugs,

hdsluckygirl
                                hdsluckygirl@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                                X