No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes Melissa, I am finding that out myself. My first appointment will be tomorrow, and we shall see from there.
    Take care, Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Hi Melissa--this is what I found out about grandbabies. They are so little at first. Pick them up and enjoy them. I find it harder to put them down because of extending my arms. I am short and the crib is high and I really have a hard time reaching. So keep holding them It is wonderful. When they are a little older--they wiggle so much it can be hard on the spine to hold on. That was when I sat to hold them. Now that they are a little bigger--I just grab a hold and use my movements to pull them in my lap.We work it out. Because these grandchildren are wonderful!!
      The 15th will be here soon--take care of yourself.
      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
      Right scapulectomy 6/15
      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
      Broken neck 9/28/2018
      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
      Osteotomy

Comment

• Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
        Hi Melissa--this is what I found out about grandbabies. They are so little at first. Pick them up and enjoy them. I find it harder to put them down because of extending my arms. I am short and the crib is high and I really have a hard time reaching. So keep holding them It is wonderful. When they are a little older--they wiggle so much it can be hard on the spine to hold on. That was when I sat to hold them. Now that they are a little bigger--I just grab a hold and use my movements to pull them in my lap.We work it out. Because these grandchildren are wonderful!!
        The 15th will be here soon--take care of yourself.

I cannot wait to be a Grandma. I think that Tuesday she is going to find out what she is having
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• I'm glad you're having this excitement - it'll be good for you! No doubt about it, grandchildren are the best! I care for mine after school/daycare, three girls aged 8 and under, and I love every minute of it. It's a whole new adventure, nothing like it was when you had your own. So much better!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
            I'm glad you're having this excitement - it'll be good for you! No doubt about it, grandchildren are the best! I care for mine after school/daycare, three girls aged 8 and under, and I love every minute of it. It's a whole new adventure, nothing like it was when you had your own. So much better!
            Me too, I really cannot wait
            Melissa

Comment

• Melissa--
              I'm so happy for you and your grandbaby news. It is just wonderful!!

Anyone else having problems getting on to First-Time Surgery? I haven't been able to get on to it for a couple days. It took a long time to get on the Revision one too. Maybe it's just my computer. ??? Janet
              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• I have a question. Regarding grandchildren.. how do you handle a situation where your daughter has rejected the religion that she was raised in and that you still practice?
                Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                  I have a question. Regarding grandchildren.. how do you handle a situation where your daughter has rejected the religion that she was raised in and that you still practice?
                  One of the things about having adult children, is letting them make their own decisions for themselves and their children. Sometimes that's hard but you'd be amazed what you can get used to, even comfortable with, for the sake of harmony. Respecting each others' wishes is important for a happy family. You don't have to like it but she will appreciate it if you allow her to decide for herself. That's what I've found with two adult daughters. We are not religious so I haven't dealt with that, but, especially when they were teens, I had to get used to some things I'd perhaps rather not have! Do whatever it takes to foster love, friendship and respect and it will pay dividends, I believe.

When is your next surgery scheduled, Melissa? I'm thinking it's coming up soon?
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Jennifer gives good advice. I think with those of us who have a strong faith in our particular religion, it is much more difficult than with other issues. Our son has done a complete 180 from almost all of our beliefs and it has been very difficult to let him go and make his own decisions, but you have to let go if you want any kind of relationship with them and especially to have a relationship with the grandchildren. My heart goes out to you because I know how hard it is.
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                      I have a question. Regarding grandchildren.. how do you handle a situation where your daughter has rejected the religion that she was raised in and that you still practice?
                      Melissa,
                      That very thing has happened to me. I had a sit-down with my daughter before her child was born. She wanted me to teach her child our religion and I frankly told her that her child will live whatever lifestyle she lives. Now that he is here, she came back, then left again. I had a talk with her again, asking her for boundaries of what I am or am not allowed to "teach" him. She said there were no boundaries, so in my case that was "good" right? NO! She was teaching his stuff contrary and it was confusing him. I told her it had to be one way or the other. In our case she wants us to teach him our ways. It's still a struggle because she doesn't set an example of our ways and that is still confusing to him. They have also moved back home so it's all taking place right under our roof.

My best advice is to do the same thing I did and sit down and talk to your daughter. You let HER set the boundaries for her child. After all, would you like your parents telling you that you couldn't raise your children in your religion if theirs differed from yours?

It's all about respecting the autonomy of your adult child. I realize that there are extenuating circumstances with your daughter. There are with mine, too. But the bottom line is that these are THEIR children, not ours.

I hope this helps. You can set the best example that you are able. Sometimes your example is the best teacher. =)
                      Be happy!
                      We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

• Melissa--
                        Such wise people on here! I can give my example. My parents threw a fit when as a Methodist I married a Catholic 42 years ago. Our 4 girls were raised in both--every other Sunday pretty much. Sounds crazy but it worked--they got a double doses of baptisms, confirmation, etc. etc. That's just how we did it! Well, 2 married Protestants and 2 married Catholics. Of course, my folks came around. I just mentioned to my 87-year-old mom yesterday, that our granddaughter will be baptized in a couple weeks at the Catholic church. Not a big deal at all any more. Having a healthy grandchild and a good relationship with your daughter is the most important thing! Try not to make it a worry--it will work out. Janet
                        Janet

Comment

• Thank you all for your advice. I will just have to let go and let God be in charge.

We did find out today that she is having a girl. I think that as a single parent, it will be easier for her to have a daughter.

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

• I ,also, wanted to say that I consider you all good friends and I think that I will be asking for more advice as time goes by.

Melissa
                            Melissa

Comment

• A little girl! That's wonderful Melissa. I'm leaving soon to babysit our new little 4 month old granddaughter. We consider you a friend for sure and often a very inspirational one! Janet
                              Janet

Comment

• Congratulations on having a granddaughter, born yet or not! Is your daughter at home with you or close by? That would be really nice for you both if she is.

HUGS!
                                Be happy!
                                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X