September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa

Just like Linda, you also have been through the mill. Its good that both of you are home. Sigh....

I have had experience with a few nursing homes, which of course are not the same, some ok, some not ok. The ones that are not ok, should be simply TORN DOWN and the admin people sent back to school. Kindergarten to be exact, because that is where “human” qualities of DECENCY are taught. For those that are reading this and are in this bracket, please change your profession, PLEASE QUIT NOW, and do everyone a favor and make the world a better place.

Nursing homes are NOT scoliosis surgery rehab centers. NO, NO, NO!

Your insurance company should send “nurses” RN’s to your home every day, or twice per day. Ask your surgeon for help with this matter....I would call him on this right away. Surgical recovery protocol should not be dictated by non-qualified insurance people. I’m sorry this has happened.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My ankles were the size of footballs. Standing is actually exercise, and simple heel lifts standing at the counter can help prevent DVT, you don’t want to have this happen, you know this.

You are so delicate right now, try to take care ok? You need a break, this time is all about healing.....

You are in our thoughts.

Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Melissa,

Blood in urine--have you been tested for a UTI? They are common after catheter use. Hope you are feeling better soon! Glad the surgery went well!!

Evelyn
      age 48
      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

• Melissa: Tell your doctor about the conditions of the facility that you were in. You needed a REHAB hospital ward with at least 3 45 minutes of therapy a day. That's what my doctor insisted on.....and fortunately, I had a private room.

Keep your feet elevated and have someone massage them from the feet to your thighs. Check for red, tender areas that might be a DVT.

Hope that you can work out the constipation.

Wishing you a better recovery than you have had so far,
        Susan
        Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
        2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
        2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
        2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
        2018: Removal L4,5 screw
        2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Thank you everyone for your good wishes and warm thoughts.

I have a 8am Monday appt with my PCP. She will be setting up PT and OT for me as well as a visiting nurse to come to the house as I have a cut on my stomach.

Melissa
          Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
            Melissa

Just like Linda, you also have been through the mill. Its good that both of you are home. Sigh....

I have had experience with a few nursing homes, which of course are not the same, some ok, some not ok. The ones that are not ok, should be simply TORN DOWN and the admin people sent back to school. Kindergarten to be exact, because that is where “human” qualities of DECENCY are taught. For those that are reading this and are in this bracket, please change your profession, PLEASE QUIT NOW, and do everyone a favor and make the world a better place.

Nursing homes are NOT scoliosis surgery rehab centers. NO, NO, NO!

Your insurance company should send “nurses” RN’s to your home every day, or twice per day. Ask your surgeon for help with this matter....I would call him on this right away. Surgical recovery protocol should not be dictated by non-qualified insurance people. I’m sorry this has happened.

Ed
            Wow! AMEN to that!!! I just feel so sorry for those poor people stuck "living" in those places until they die. It really makes me sad and angry, too.

I dare say that I worked at a facility in the middle of the worst and the best. At night all the CNA's and nurses wanted to do was sit in the rec room and smoke and gossip. At that time I was a CNA and I can't stand to be around cigarette smoke and don't like gossip. There was a particular woman in her 40's dying of liver cancer. Her back pain was severe and kept her up all night. So I would rather spend my time rubbing the poor woman's back. It gave her some relief, but mostly I think emotional relief in the fact that someone actually cared. The charge nurse actually pulled me aside and reprimanded me for treating the woman this way. The reason: "Now she expects us all to rub her back at night when you aren't here!" Talk about selfish. Isn't that what that line of work is supposed to be about? That was the last nursing home I ever worked at. I just loved the residents but despised my fellow workers, not a pleasant work environment. The DON there just loved me. I only worked there full time for a few months and VERY part time off and on for a couple of years. I don't know what happened to that charge nurse. I hope she got fired.

Sorry I'm off topic. Ed's comment just brought up some old anger issues. People should be treated with compassion and respect during the final part of life. Heck, we should all be treated that way during ANY part of our life!

Enough said. I'm glad you left, Melissa!
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

• I am at home . I took a shower today for the first time since surgery. I took naps. I am trying to ignore the husband who is having a hissy fit because today is Father's Day and nothing is planned.
              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                I am at home . I took a shower today for the first time since surgery. I took naps. I am trying to ignore the husband who is having a hissy fit because today is Father's Day and nothing is planned.
                I'm sorry your hubby is throwing a fit. Really, though, what does he expect you to do? You can tell him that you took a shower "just for him" so that you smell better "for him"! Just keeping it light.

I hope you feel much better after you got cleaned up properly. I know whenever I've had surgery (nothing ever like you've had) and been restricted from bathing (always allowed to shower) it feels soooo good to finally get that bath! I'm a bath lover. But, hey, if I wasn't even able or allowed to shower, I'm sure it would feel just as good. Sleep well. I hope you have a good rest and a wonderful day tomorrow.
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                  I'm sorry your hubby is throwing a fit. Really, though, what does he expect you to do? You can tell him that you took a shower "just for him" so that you smell better "for him"! Just keeping it light.

I hope you feel much better after you got cleaned up properly. I know whenever I've had surgery (nothing ever like you've had) and been restricted from bathing (always allowed to shower) it feels soooo good to finally get that bath! I'm a bath lover. But, hey, if I wasn't even able or allowed to shower, I'm sure it would feel just as good. Sleep well. I hope you have a good rest and a wonderful day tomorrow.
                  Thanks. I have had over 30 years of ignoring the husband . I am going to see my PCP in the morning

Melissa
                  Melissa

Comment

• Melissa...
                    wondering how you did at the doctor's...?
                    hoping it went well...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Melissa--
                      Finally had a chance to check out what's happening. SO glad to hear you are home and not at that other place! I hope the doctor can address and help out with some of your other issues. Your ONLY job is to rest and rehab!! Don't let anyone in the family tell you otherwise. And yes, you should be able to get some home care and PT, etc. Be sure you get info from the doctor on this for "prescription." Take care and heal heal heal!!! Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Melissa,
                        Glad you are home and I hope the Dr visit went well. What did the surgeon end up fixing? You said that you are standing better. Way to go!
                        T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                        C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                        T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                        C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                        Right scapulectomy 6/15
                        Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                        To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                        Broken neck 9/28/2018
                        Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                        Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                        Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                        Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                        Osteotomy

Comment

• Glad you are looking after yourself first and foremost Melissa.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Melissa-- sending cyber hugs and support for all you are going through. Can't believe the Father's Day situation! Sheesh! Put that behind you and focus on the healing. He needs to be putting your healing first and foremost and be waiting on you hand and foot so you can and NOTHING jeopardizes the healing process. You are precious to all of us. We are a protective group. And we are all lined up, (right?), shouting "take it easy, rest, eat well, take naps, baby yourself..." You are your first and most important priority right now. We love you!
                            Last edited by Susie*Bee; 06-18-2013, 02:55 PM.
                            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Well said, Susie!
                              Be happy!
                              but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
                                Melissa,
                                Glad you are home and I hope the Dr visit went well. What did the surgeon end up fixing? You said that you are standing better. Way to go!

This is what Dr Bederman did .He did the osteotomy at T10. Then He just reconnected my old rods together.
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X