September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi...

I totally agree with Susie. Melissa, you are very inwardly focused right now. I think it's because, deep inside, you're expecting a bad outcome. It's unreasonable to expect to be out of pain this early. Susie has given you some good advice. When you find yourself thinking about the pain, and especially when you have thoughts about never getting better, find a way to focus on something else. Try to get outside for some walks, or even better, find a friend with whom you can distract yourself (instead of talking about the pain). The pain at this point is still completely normal. Also, I don't know what your drug regimen is, but if you're on one of the stronger drugs (oxycontin, fentanyl, etc.), you could be having rebound pain. I don't know how common it is, but when I got off oxycontin at about 2-1/2 months postop, I actually had a lot less pain than when I was on it. At that point, I still used percoset whenever the pain got bad, but no longer took it at regular intervals. If you were following my posts around that time, you may have noticed that I stopped talking about my recovery. I just didn't feel it was healthy, and definitely not very interesting, to talk about my pain. If someone asked me a direct question about my recovery, I would answer it, but try to move away from the topic ASAP. There were definitely days I thought I might never get better, but I worked at not dwelling on it.

Hope you have a better day soon.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

• I hope you feel better soon Melissa. Do you have any good books you'd like to read or maybe some movies to watch? I don't know what's going on with your daughter but the extra stress can't be good for your recovery. Take care. Let us know how tomorrow is for you.
      Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
      Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
      Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
      http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Thank you everyone for your good throughts and your advice.

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• I know that it was suggested not to talk about my pain but what else can I do when the pain is so bad that I cannot do anything? For the first time since July 15 , I could not sleep on my back and when I slept on my sides, I would get pain going down my legs which I never had before

Sorry to be a downer

Melissa
          Melissa

Comment

• Melissa, what are your doctors saying? Is your pain normal recovery pain?

They have to help you. They will help you.

Good luck.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• Speak to your doctor Melissa. Pain needs to be controlled so that you can get the required sleep and exercise to heal. With your history, it's possible there is a psychological aspect to your pain, I believe stress and fear, including a fear of failure, can increase pain - just my 60 year old thoughts. But when in pain, it's difficult to be positive. It's all consuming. Which takes us back to pain control. Sort of a vicious circle.

Either way I hope your surgeon pulls out all stops to give you relief. If anybody deserves that, it's you. Sending gentle hugs.
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• We are trying elavil. I hope that it will give me some relief. I have not back from Dr Bederman yet from this morning. He see patients on Wednesdays so it will still be a while until he gets back to me.
                Melissa

Comment

• Hi Melissa,

Did you have your water therapy today? How was it? I'm praying for you.

Warmly,
                  Doreen
                  44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
                  Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
                  2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
                    Hi Melissa,

Did you have your water therapy today? How was it? I'm praying for you.

Warmly,
                    Doreen
                    I did not get up in time as I could not sleep last night. I have another appt Friday
                    Melissa

Comment

• Dr Bederman is sending me for a CAT Scan so hopefully we can figure out what my problem is
                      Melissa

Comment

• I hope it's just a matter of settling those nerves. You were concerned about this surgery from before you had it. I have everything crossed that the new meds will help. But it's probably a good idea to have the CAT scan even if it's to give you confidence that everything's ok. Thanks for letting us know how you're going. Did Dr. Bederman say how long the new meds take to kick in? He's not giving up on you Melissa, like the other surgeon did, so stay positive. He's a whole different dr. altogether. You will not be abandoned again.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          I hope it's just a matter of settling those nerves. You were concerned about this surgery from before you had it. I have everything crossed that the new meds will help. But it's probably a good idea to have the CAT scan even if it's to give you confidence that everything's ok. Thanks for letting us know how you're going. Did Dr. Bederman say how long the new meds take to kick in? He's not giving up on you Melissa, like the other surgeon did, so stay positive. He's a whole different dr. altogether. You will not be abandoned again.
                          Thank Jennifer. Yes ,I know, Dr Bederman is not my old surgeon and he is not going to give up on me. He is a great guy and will see me thru this to the end , no matter how
                          long that takes.I have to keep remembering that . He said the new med would take a couple of weeks to work
                          Last edited by mabeckoff; 10-05-2011, 11:46 PM.
                          Melissa

Comment

• Well I finally got dressed this week and am going out to hear my son's Jazz Band School concert tonight
                            Melissa

Comment

• I hope you enjoy the evening out Melissa.
                              Son 14 y/o diagnosed January 20th. 2011 with 110* Curve
                              Halo Traction & 1st. surgery on March 22nd. 2011
                              Spinal Fusion on April 19th. 2011

Dr. Krajbich @ Shriners Childrens Hospital, Portland Oregon

http://tinyurl.com/Elias-Before
                              http://tinyurl.com/Elias-After

Comment

• Very good that you are getting out and about. Maybe that will help. I hope so!
                                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X