Working people lose their jobs
    Familes have their homes foreclosed upon
    Women and children are abused and forced to seek protection
    Frail elderly homeowners are victimized by predatory lending scams
    Disabled children are denied the help they need to perform well in school
    Families are denied important governmental services
    Low income people cannot access health care services that they need
    … Justice is Wanting:

More than three quarters of all low income households experience at least one important civil legal problem each year. Unfortunately, nearly nine in ten do not get the legal help they need to solve their problems.
    Many civil legal problems involve fundamental issues such as personal and family safety, housing, shelter and security, access to governmental services and the like. Women and children experience more civil legal needs than others. Domestic violence survivors have the highest number of needs of any segment of the low income population.
    What is Civil Legal Aid?

“Civil Legal Aid” refers to legal and law related services designed to help low income individuals, families and communities solve civil (non-criminal) legal problems that they experience. Civil Legal Aid helps low income people defend and assert important legal rights that often involve the most fundamental aspects of life – personal and family safety, homeownership and shelter protection, economic security, health care and shelter.

Who Provides Legal Aid Services in Washington State?

Throughout Washington State non-profit organizations provide civil legal aid services to low income people. These programs are organized under the banner “Alliance for Equal Justice.” The Alliance includes statewide legal aid programs, specialty legal aid programs and volunteer legal aid programs. State funding administered through the Office of Civil Legal Aid supports the Northwest Justice Project, 21 volunteer legal aid programs and the following five specialized legal aid providers: TeamChild, Unemployment Law Project;Solid Ground Family Assistance Project;and the Seattle Community Law Center.

Because the funding available falls far short of that which is needed to provide services to everyone, these programs prioritize the types of cases that they can handle. The overall goal is to provide legal help to those most in need of legal help and on matters that affect fundamental interests such as personal and family safety, economic security, and access to and preservation of housing, essential governmental benefits and health care.

The Office of Civil Legal Aid contracts with the Northwest Justice Project (NJP), a statewide non-profit provider of civil legal aid services. NJP uses funds made available from OCLA to:

Operate a statewide toll-free legal advice, education and referral system called CLEAR. CLEAR attorneys and paralegals receive calls, screen for eligibility, diagnose legal problems, and provide self-help legal information and advice. In some cases CLEAR attorneys and paralegals are able to solve a client’s legal problem with limited assistance. In cases that are more difficult or require ongoing representation, clients are referred to local legal aid providers. CLEAR has a special service for seniors 60 years and older called CLEAR*Sr. The number for CLEAR*Sr. is 1-888-387-7111. CLEAR also operates a special service for family violence victims who are referred by local domestic violence programs for emergency legal help. CLEAR provides services to persons in many languages other than English. For residents living in King County, NJP has contracted with King County's 2-1-1 system for client intake and referral.
    Operate a statewide self-help resources center on the Internet. This center is called WashingtonLawHelp. At WashingtonLawHelp.org you can find hundreds of up to date pamphlets and materials on many issues that affect low income people. These are arranged by category of legal problems:
    Family Law
    Consumer and Debt
    Government Benefits
    Aging/Elder
    Immigration
    Civil Rights
    Housing
    Domestic Violence and Anti-harassment
    Health
    Employment/Farm Worker Rights
    Native American
    Criminal

Who is Eligible for State-Funded Civil Legal Aid Services?

State-funded civil legal aid services are available to all low income citizens in Washington State. Certain non-citizens who are lawfully present in the United States may be eligible for state-funded civil legal aid services.

Persons with incomes at or below 125% of the federal poverty level are eligible for state-funded civil legal aid services. In certain cases, persons with incomes up to 200% of the poverty level may be eligible for state-funded legal aid services.

ALL I AM TRYING TO POINT OUT IS THAT HELP FOR CIVIL CASES DOES
    EXIST IN AMERICA DEPENDING ON STATE...
    WOULD HAVE TO BE RESEARCHED...

JUST A NOTE TO POINT IT OUT...
    jess

Comment

• Well in NJ, there is no help for civil matters. So I am on my own.

Anyway, just found out yesterday that we cannot get a construction loan. So I do not know what we are going to do now
      Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• What reason did they give, Melissa? Can you try elsewhere?

Is it possible to put the land up for sale and purchase somewhere else?

I'm sorry that your house grief continues.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• I am doing ok. I am awaiting May 1st . In May, I will be having tests to see if my ulcer is healed. If it is healed, as I hope it is, then I can see my different surgeons and they will decide which of my many surgeries I should start with.

We are going to be building a house . We should be starting soon
          Thanks everyone for their good wishes.
          Melissa

Comment

• I so hope the ulcer has healed and you can get your plans back on track Melissa.

Re the house. Are you building on the same site? Has anybody been charged with arson? Are you concerned it could happen a third time? My heart goes out to you going through this building again with the history of this site if this is where you're building. Let's hope third time lucky and that this signals a major improvement in your fortunes. I am still hopeful for a much happier outcome by year's end. Lord knows you deserve it.

Comment

• No we are not building on the same site and no there has not been any arrests made and I do not think there will be.

We found a piece of land that is nearer the road that my husband takes to work
              Melissa

Comment

• I must say I'm glad you aren't building again on that site. All the very best with the building and your health, Melissa! This year could still turn out to be a good one for you.
                Take care, Jen

Comment

• I am hoping that this year turns out to my year.
                  Melissa

Comment

• Well, it looks like Dr Bederman will do my neck in June. He wanted me to do my hips and shoulder first but the pain in my neck is so bad that it is all day and all night long.

Thanks all for your support
                    Melissa

Comment

• glad that Dr Bederman can do this for you in June...
                      i hope it is exactly what is needed for your neck pain to cease....
                      and for you to get out from under some of the unrelenting pain
                      you have been living with!

jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Roll on June! I'm glad you have your plans back on track and although surgery isn't something we look forward to, you now have hope of being free of that horrible pain all the time. It's been a long road for you, but you're back on it again. One step at a time!

Comment

• Oh, I'm so glad the doctor has you scheduled for June. That has to be encouraging & I sincerely hope this will be the answer to that pain at least. Janet
                          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Melissa, I have not read your blog for a few weeks since, as you know, I have been preoccupied with dealing with my own surgery.

Sounds like you have a plan now both for your house and neck surgery.

You are a model of courage and I wish you the best. You have a future ahead of you and I know that you will be ok. No, better than ok....you are on the way to awesome.

Susan
                            Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
                            2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
                            2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
                            2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
                            2018: Removal L4,5 screw
                            2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• Good news concerning my trial. The judge has ordered that my lawyer stay as my lawyer. So i will have representation after all.

God is good and does wonderful things
                              Melissa

Comment

• That's wonderful news Melissa! I'm so glad some of the pressure is off. This will help! When is your next surgery scheduled?

Comment

Working...
                                X