No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susie's right, it's just hard to believe. You are in my thoughts and wish there was something practical I could do to make this right. I can imagine this is not helping your pain. Sleep is the best thing for you right now, if you possibly can.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• Oh Melissa, This is just too horrible for words. My heart aches for you. I pray that God will lift you up and give you a reason to go on. I never heard of such a terrible thing. Cyber "Hugs" to you.
      Love, Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• when I look around the house we are renting, I just do not think that I can last another 6 months. I cannot bake as all of my baking items are in storage. I am using these cheap plastic dishes because I packed all of my good dishes. I cannot have people over as this place is so small.

I just think that sleeping the next 6 months away is the best solution

Thanks everyone but I am not doing well at all
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Melissa, the fact that you have survived all of this shows me how strong you are! You are overdue for things getting better. You are in my thoughts and prayers. As for your place being too small to entertain....reframe that as cozy and ask your party friends to bring the goodies. Friends love friends no matter what.

Remember that you are a survivor.

Hugs, Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• I am not as strong as you all make me out to be. My daughter will not talk to me and she has unfriended me on FB. I miss her so much
            Melissa

Comment

• hi Melissa
              i am so sorry for all you are going thru...

of course you do not feel strong now...
              everyone has limits...sometimes the best thing is to recognize
              our own limits...and maybe ask for help...
              it makes sense that you want to sleep for a week...or a month...
              or 6....all you have been going thru sounds totally overwhelming...
              i just hope you can turn to friends, church people, a pastor, family
              member, one or a few people you feel you can trust...
              to talk to, to lean on...
              sometimes talking is all one can do for a while...

please try to hang on and know that things will get better....
              the rough spots are temporary...if we can just see our way
              thru and past them...of course, easier said than done...
              but there are people pulling for you...and if people on forum who
              have never met you in person care about you, then there are people
              closer to you who care, too.

thinking of you...
              jess...& Sparky

Comment

• Melissa, I'm so sorry that things are so bleak for you this Christmas, when it was starting to look like things were coming good for you. It's hard to believe the amount of bad luck you've had and I feel it contributes to your pain.

Your daughter didn't learn her lesson first time round and has gone back for more. Many of us make the same mistakes over and over. Let her go for now. She will eventually return so long as that door is always open. She knows you well and knows you will always welcome her back. So the ball's in her court. She's an adult now and you can't influence her decisions, however much you'd like to. You and millions of other mothers. Eventually she will realize she's the cause of her own problems and will start to make better decisions in her life.

How is your husband and son coping with this latest set-back with the house, and your daughter's return to her boyfriend?

Are you able to sleep? We all cope better with adversity with sleep, it's so important. Your desire to sleep right now, is because you need it for more than one reason, because it also gives you a break from your problems.

Any news about the arsonist? Perhaps if they catch the perpetrator, that will give you more hope for the future.

Sending warm hugs from Australia.

Comment

• Melissa--
                  I am just finding out about this horrible tragedy for you. Truly unbelievable that this has happened to you twice. I can't add more advice than what is already here from lots of caring forum members. I too hope you are safe and hope you can find some solace by talking to a pastor or counselor of some kind. Even one or two of the things you have gone through would be hard for anyone, let alone all the things you have experienced. We are here but you need to share this burden with someone who is experienced with this sort of thing. I hope you do get some much needed rest and that you know there are many people who are praying for you. Janet
                  Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                  Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                  Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                  T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doodles View Post
                    Melissa--
                    I am just finding out about this horrible tragedy for you. Truly unbelievable that this has happened to you twice. I can't add more advice than what is already here from lots of caring forum members. I too hope you are safe and hope you can find some solace by talking to a pastor or counselor of some kind. Even one or two of the things you have gone through would be hard for anyone, let alone all the things you have experienced. We are here but you need to share this burden with someone who is experienced with this sort of thing. I hope you do get some much needed rest and that you know there are many people who are praying for you. Janet
                    Thank you Janet for caring. I am ready to give up . I do not know how much more I can take.
                    Melissa

Comment

• Pain in incision line

Has any one experienced pain along their incision line? My surgery was in July 2011. I did have 2 other surgeries in September 2011 and November 2011. My neck incision and along my waist band is so painful.

Any ideas?

I have asked Dr Bederman

Thanks
                      Melissa

Comment

• All I can think of is possibly psychosomatic pain, related to your great stress, but Dr. Bederman would be the best person to ask.

Comment

• For all of you that care about me, I am feeling better. Today I got up and left the house. We returned some items that we no longer need , as we do not have the house to put them in.

We had the refrigerator that we had purchased for the new house delivered to the rental. At least, that is much better for me. It is a french door type which is so much better for my back.

I have to start looking into the replacement cost of the items that were lost in the fire. This is so painful for me.

We are meeting with the builder tomorrow to start the rebuild . This should be easier than last time.

We have to wait to hear from the arson department before we can clear the slab

Thanks for caring
                          Melissa

Comment

• hi Melissa
                            tough to face...
                            i congratulate you on taking the first step...
                            i do not underestimate what it takes to get up and go out into
                            the world and deal with things...again...when you have been thru
                            similar hardship before...
                            i give you credit for being able to take one step at a time....
                            a lot of credit.

thoughts and prayers are with you....
                            jess

Comment

• I agree with Jess. Congratulations on taking that first step. So happy to hear you're feeling better.

Comment

• Wow, so much for one family to face

Melissa,

My heart goes out to you and your family with all that you have been through. Nobody should have togotheough so much. I hope this brings you, your husband and son closer together. Someone (I don't remember who) said that your daughter will be back. I believe she will, even if it's not as soon as you would like. Anyway, I do think that there might be a bright spot in the fact that you have to rebuild. You will be able to have cabinets and counters, sinks, etc. at the height that works for you. I know that is not a big bright spot, but something positive to focus on. My best wishes to you and your family.

Libby

Comment

Working...
                                X