No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best of luck with the testsMelissa. Let us know how you go. I hope there are no further problems. Glad they are taking good care of you and not taking any chances.

We've been following the 9/11 commemorations, so sad. Still can't quite believe my eyes when I see that plane go into the tower. Everyone here talks about what they were doing/where they were, when it happened, much like we used to, for events such as the assassination of John F Kennedy and the landing of man on the moon.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

hope the tests go OK and that they answer all the questions for the doctors...
      and i hope you get better every day....and that any complications are solved quickly!

born & raised in NYC, i lived in Manhattan at the time of 9/11...
      it was unbelievably sad...and on every lamp post, for days and days, were pix of
      missing loved ones...people hoping against hope that their family members would be
      found somehow...
      the burning smell lingered in the air for days....
      and New Yorkers displayed such kindness...
      we were all heart broken for each other....

feel better soon, Melissa....
      thoughts and prayers are with you....

jess

Comment

Hi Melissa,

I've been following along on the boards but haven't had time to post lately. I was so glad to see you were able to have this latest surgery as scheduled. I was afraid with that huge power outage we had the day before that they might have to reschedule your surgery the next day.

I hope the Doppler u/s and echo show no problems, and you continue to get better. Hang in there!

Lisa

Comment

Melissa--
          Hope tests all come back OK and you continue healing. Yes, the 911 stories on tv are almost too hard to watch. Can't imagine having been in NYC at the time. All so painful and sad. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I was living in Puerto Rico at the time but am from NYC. I knew my brother worked two blocks from the WTC. Fortunately he was doing a deposition uptown and was not near the towers. As I recall, he had to walk from upper Manhattan to Queens to be able to get home eventually. His boss lost her daughter that day. She was in one of the towers working.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Melissa,
              I'm glad your surgery is finally over and I hope all of your issues will soon be resolved. On 9/11, I spent the day is a small room interviewing prospective blood donors. As it turned out, blood was not needed in NYC, so it went in our blood bank refrigerator and the blood was used in our own hospital. I loved your story about the resident checking out your feet.
              Take care, You are in my prayers.
              Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I lived 5 miles away in New Jersey when they built the towers, they took about 6 years to complete. I did go up to the observatory once, and they sure did sway in the wind. I remember looking straight down on the buses, and people, which were miniscule. The towers were a directional landmark for southern Manhattan.

Last year, I went to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty and looked over and the towers are missing. It was like a void, a gap, a terrible emptiness. Looking at my grandfathers name on the wall at Ellis who escaped tyranny in Europe, and seeing the skyline from some of the largest symbols of freedom in the world, had a profound effect on me.

Although it is possible for me to forget that my whole spine is fused, I don’t think that 9/11 is something that I will ever forget.

Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Good morning. It is 6:10am here in CA and I have just gotten up for the day. I still have the ECHO to have done today. They did not find anything with the dobbler ultrasound. My feet are better due to the Lasix.I have some fluid in my lungs that we are keeping a look at. . My left leg is still in much pain and I am quite dizzy as well. My right shoulder hurts and the pain goes down to my fingers. Dr Bederman will be here today so hopefully, I will be given some answers

Hope everyone has a good day

Melissa
                  Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

It sounds miserable Melissa. I hope Dr. Bederman will have the answers you need.

I'm on jury duty today, I have four weeks of it. I will check to see what Dr. Bederman says tonight when I get home. (I was called up for jury duty just prior to my surgery, but got out of it on medical grounds so I'm happy to do my "bit" now.)
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Well, this is the 4:05pm update
                      Dr Bederman wants to increase my Lyricia . The internal medicine doctor says no and wants to put me on Tylenol around the clock and double my Oxycontin . Dr Bederman wants a ECHO but internal medicine does not. They were going to discuss today. The only item that they agreed on was the Lasix. So not much excitement going on here in Southern CA today

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa...

Tell Sam that I asked if it might be lymphedema.

And, don't worry too much about the pain and swelling, etc. It's all extremely common, and will hopefully resolve soon.

Regards,
                        Linda
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                          Hi Melissa...

Tell Sam that I asked if it might be lymphedema.

And, don't worry too much about the pain and swelling, etc. It's all extremely common, and will hopefully resolve soon.

Regards,
                          Linda
                          I will talk to him tomorrow about Lymphedema and thanks for the words of comfort

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

It is 6:15 am here in CA and I am up . I am very confused about this pain situation. I am not getting my Lyricia increased now . According to pain management, they are putting me on Tynelol every 6 hours around the clock and this is supposed to replace my pump medicine. I only found this out last night at 11pm. My left
                            leg hurts so much that I cannot walk on it.

Melissa
                            Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                              It is 6:15 am here in CA and I am up . I am very confused about this pain situation. I am not getting my Lyricia increased now . According to pain management, they are putting me on Tynelol every 6 hours around the clock and this is supposed to replace my pump medicine. I only found this out last night at 11pm. My left
                              leg hurts so much that I cannot walk on it.

Melissa
                              Hi Melissa...

Hang in there. It will all get sorted out. Hopefully, whoever told you that you would not be getting an increased dosage of Lyrica misread orders or something. If your leg pain is neurologic (which I think it probably is), narcotics probably don't help anyway.

Regards,
                              Linda
                              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                                Hi Melissa...

Hang in there. It will all get sorted out. Hopefully, whoever told you that you would not be getting an increased dosage of Lyrica misread orders or something. If your leg pain is neurologic (which I think it probably is), narcotics probably don't help anyway.

Regards,
                                Linda

Hurray !! I got my increased dosage of Lyrica this morning

Let's see if it works

Melissa
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X