No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yes...they sell temporary types of phones...one kind is the Track phones they sell at drug stores like Duane Reade, Walgreens, etc....
    or at places like Radio Shack...
    they are different prices.....not sure how simple to set up but
    they have people to tell you how to do it...

don't the hospitals still let you have a land phone in your room, for a
    certain amount of money....????? hospitals around here still do...
    ????

jess

Comment

• I just wanted to wish you well Melissa. I will be thinking of you, as many here will, also. I can't help with ideas for a phone but I didn't take my phone to hospital, they had a land line in the room. I hope you can work this out so you go into hospital worrying less. Looking forward to hearing you've had a successful surgery. Big cyber hugs!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• wishing you the best, also, Melissa...
        hope everything goes smoothly and recovery is
        uneventful, without any glitches...

cell phones do not even work in most of hospitals...at least
        around here in northeast they don't....
        mine does not...no power gets thru once i am thru hospital
        doors....hospital wants it that way...

so often patients are much better off with land line...
        just making local calls with it...so bill doesn't get big...

best of luck...
        jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Hope that your surgery is uneventful and that you are on your way to healing.
          Susan
          Adult Onset Degen Scoliosis @65, 25* T & 36* L w/ 11.2 cm coronal balance; T kyphosis 90*; Sev disc degen T & L stenosis

2013: T3- S1 Fusion w/ ALIF L4-S1/XLIF L2-4, PSF T4-S1 2 surgeries
          2014: Hernia @ ALIF repaired; Emergency screw removal SCI T4,5 sec to PJK
          2015: Rev Broken Bil T & L rods and no fusion: 2 revision surgeries; hardware P. Acnes infection
          2016: Ant/Lat Lumbar diskectomy w/ 4 cages + BMP + harvested bone
          2018: Removal L4,5 screw
          2021: Removal T1 screw & rod

Comment

• The problem is that the hospital is not in my area code so I cannot call my family or friends.

I am going to go to Radio Shack

Thanks for all of your good wishes

Melissa
            Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Thanks for all of your good wishes. I have survived and am home. This is one of the most painful surgeries that I have ever undergone.

Melissa
              Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by dixiesmommie
                Babyboomer16 was your revision done posterior or anterior? I am going on Tuesday for an exploration of fusions in my Lumbar and sacrum. If they find a problem they will reinstall all the hardware and flip me and fuse from the front.

Very nervous about this surgery. Just wish it was all over. Curious how anyone else handled this surgery?
                This is the day of your surgery and I am just answering your post. I just saw it. My last revision to fix my
                broken rod was all done from the back. I can't have anterior surgery, because I had a bunch of them when I was younger. Too much scar tissue. So Dr.Lenke goes around to the front of my spine from the posterior position. Slipped his hands under and around my spine to reach where he wanted to put reinforcement. It was also a tough surgery! I'm thinking of you and sending all the best in getting through this recovery.
                One day at a time ~~~
                Sincerely, Linda
                Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                This started adult onset scoliosis
                July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                May 30th 2013 revision
                May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• glad you are home Melissa, and healing
                  has hopefully begun...
                  i am so sorry you have been in so much pain...
                  i hope healing is faster than ever before for you....
                  too bad healing cannot be as intense as how bad the pain
                  is...

sending you hugs that don't hurt...
                  and thoughts and prayers...

jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Good to hear from you Melissa. I hope the pain is easing and that it was a successful surgery.

Comment

• Glad your home and doing better.
                      T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                      C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                      T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                      C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                      Right scapulectomy 6/15
                      Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                      To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                      Broken neck 9/28/2018
                      Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                      Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                      Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                      Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                      Osteotomy

Comment

• Right now I am home alone. I am not on any pain meds because the morphine made me hallucinate so badly. My husband is staying over near his work because he cannot drive the two hours home because he had back surgery on November 18th. My son is out at a meeting and will be home about 11 pm. My daughter is in NC trying to see her daughter for the first time in 3 months. The father of the child is making so many rules that I do not think that I will ever go to NC to see the baby. It is supposed to be the holiday season where people are in good cheer. I a am sitting here at the kitchen table crying because I do not think that I can go on any longer. I am so tired of being in pain and alone. Life has nothing for me anymore.

Thanks for listening.
                        Melissa

Comment

• dear Melissa
                          can you reach out to local church, community center, something
                          like that...people can come bring holidays to those who cannot
                          get out for whatever reason....
                          have you called your therapist...?
                          have you spoken to your doctor....? surgeon...?

of course being alone at holidays is depressing....of course
                          it is...
                          the phone could be a life saver, if you will try to use it....

please, Melissa....do not give up...
                          i think u have felt this way before....maybe not at a holiday....
                          but you do not give up....because tomorrow might have
                          something so much better....and the holidays are not forever....
                          lots of folks get depressed in January without much holiday
                          to celebrate....there are support groups for "seasonal affective
                          disorder" patients....

please....reach out to someone....

jess...and Sparky

Comment

• Jess is right. Reach out. Suffering alone, won't be good for your healing. Know there are people out there who care and will help, even if it's to share a coffee, pick some thing up at the shops for you, and someone to talk to. They do say if you share a problem, you halve it. I think there's truth in it.

Honestly, sometimes a good cry is what you need. Heaven knows you deserve a good cry, you poor darling. But don't wallow in it. Once done, force yourself to think positively about the future. You're strong! You've pulled yourself out of this before and you can do it again. This surgery was another step in the right direction. Think about the things you can change, not the things you can't. I know that's hard. None of us has all the answers, but know we're thinking of you and hoping for the very best for you. Come here to the forum and vent if it helps. Much of your problems stem from your initial, botched, scoli surgery, and it's relevant. A botched surgery could happen to any one of us.

Now, can you pick up the phone?

Comment

• Melissa
                              do you have a companion at home....?
                              one who needs you...? like a dog or cat....?
                              yes, they need care....but they are so good for people's health
                              and that has been documented by science...
                              petting dog or cat lowers blood pressure in 15 minutes...
                              it does all kinds of other positive things too....
                              just an idea....

wishing you better days very soon...
                              jess....and Sparky

Comment

• Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hopefully you will have a good one. Just a quick question. I am fused like you and a month ago we added to my cervical. How long did it take you to swallow easily? It seems like such a problem.
                                T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                                C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                                T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                                C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                                Right scapulectomy 6/15
                                Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                                To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                                Broken neck 9/28/2018
                                Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                                Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                                Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                                Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                                Osteotomy

Comment

Working...
                                X