September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Melissa

You didn’t tell your Dentist about your surgeries? They usually ask patients how things are going, and keep an eye out for different symptoms......

I took amox for my dentist and teeth cleanings for about a year after my surgeries.

There is quite a bit of bacteria in the mouth. Actually, it’s the Miami beach of bacteria. (sorry Miami)

You don’t want to take chances with infection.....no, no ,no, no, no.
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• I think this is all up for debate even among Doctors. My Doc told me only for the first three months do I need to take antibiotics prior to dental work. I told him it was too late as I already went for my 6 month checkup with the dentist in that time period. Call your spine Doctor Melissa. You more than likely will not have a problem, so don't worry.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Thanks all. I certainly did tell the dentist as she asked about why I could not lay comfortably in the chair. Dr Bederman is putting me on antibiotics now. I hope
        this does not mess up my November 7th surgery

Melissa
        Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• No problem. Dr Bederman is having me take antibiotics the day of the procedure. He is more concerned when I get my teeth cleaned about bacteria entering my
          bloodstream
          Melissa

Comment

• Now I have a big sore on my lip because , when it was numb, I bit and now it really hurts
            Melissa

Comment

• Amoxicillin

Dr. Boachie's instructions ..... four Amoxicillin one hour before any dental appointment for the next five years. Prior surgeries, I never had been told to do this.
              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
              2000 Partial Rod Removal
              2001 Right Scapular Resection
              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

• Hi Jacque's mom-

I had surgery with Dr. Boachie last year. Since my surgery I have been to the dentist 3 times and have never taken any antibiotics! My dentist knew I had spinal fusion with instrumentation and never told me about taking an antibiotic. Dr. Boachie never mentioned anything about this to me either. How did you get the instructions from him? Did he come out and tell you, or did you think to ask? Just curious...I am worried about an infection since I had a crown put in and didn't take anything. But I have had no signs of an infection. Does he write out the prescription? If not, who do you get it from. I have another dentist appt in 3 weeks so I'm glad I found this out!
                Surgery date: June 8, 2010 with Dr. Boachie
                Thoracic curve: 55 degrees, corrected to 25 degrees
                Lumbar curve: 58 degrees, corrected to 27 degrees
                Posterior-only surgery, Levels T3-L3
                31 year old mother of 2 young kids

Comment

• I am off today to have my myleogram done, what fun and my pre-op.This time next week, I will be getting ready for my surgery
                  Melissa

Comment

• [QUOTE=golfnut If you are having any dental work (routine cleanings, filling cavities, root canal, etc.) you must take an antibiotic prior to having the work done for the first two years after surgery."[/QUOTE]

My surgeon said for the rest of my life. He said that infection will always be a possibility with an instrumented spine. And as I’ve read these posts over the years, every now and then someone does report about a delayed infection, such as this one.
                    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...609#post122609

Comment

• Originally posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
                      My surgeon said for the rest of my life. He said that infection will always be a possibility with an instrumented spine. And as I’ve read these posts over the years, every now and then someone does report about a delayed infection, such as this one.
                      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...609#post122609
                      There is no reason to believe that infection was related to oral surgery or dentistry of any kind.
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

• JenM - I went to a new dentist for a cleaning, etc. in February, and they asked me if I had a prescription for antibiotics since I was still in my back brace from my recent revision surgery. They called Dr. Boachie's office while I was there and was told about the antibiotics. My dentist then wrote me a prescription for the Amoxicillin. I take four one hour before every visit, even if it's just a cleaning and as mentioned for five years. I had my original surgery in 1981 followed by the scapular surgery and never took antibiotics. Please don't freak out, you'll be fine but call Dr. Boachie's office and your dentist can prescribe. Take care, Lynn
                        Last edited by Jacque's Mom; 10-31-2011, 09:53 AM.
                        1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                        2000 Partial Rod Removal
                        2001 Right Scapular Resection
                        12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                        06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

• And there’s no reason to believe that it wasn’t related. My surgeon feel it’s best to err on the side of caution.
                          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...634#post122634

Comment

• Originally posted by CHRIS WBS View Post
                            And there’s no reason to believe that it wasn’t related. My surgeon feel it’s best to err on the side of caution.
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...634#post122634
                            We don't even know if that woman had any dental procedures.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

• I put this on the new thread and I will put it on this thread. I got this information of the American Dental Association's website. Read all the way to the bottom. Not every Doctor keeps up with the latest research on every subject!
                              Sally

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before some dental treatments, patients who have certain heart conditions and those with artificial joints take antibiotics. These people may be at risk of developing an infection in the heart or at the site of the artificial joint, respectively. Antibiotics reduce this risk. This is called antibiotic prophylaxis (pronounced pro-fuh-lax-iss).

When treating patients with heart conditions, dentists follow recommendations developed by the American Heart Association (AHA), with input from the ADA. For patients who have total joint replacements, they refer to recommendations developed by the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS).
                              Recommendations for People with Heart Conditions

The AHA recommendations are meant to reduce the risk of infective endocarditis (pronounced end-o-car-die-tiss). Infective endocarditis (IE) is an infection of the lining inside the heart or the heart valves.

In the past, a number of heart conditions were thought to put patients at risk for IE. When writing the new recommendations, the AHA looked at published research and other scientific articles. They found that fewer conditions were associated with IE. As a result, a smaller group of patients needs to premedicate before dental treatments.
                              Why did the recommendations change?

After looking at the published scientific reports and articles, the AHA concluded that:

the risks of adverse reactions to antibiotics outweigh the benefits of prophylaxis for most patients. Adverse reactions can range from mild (rashes) to severe (breathing problems that could result in death).
                              when all the study results were looked at together, it wasn’t clear that premedication prevented IE.
                              bacteria from the mouth can enter the bloodstream during daily activities like brushing or cleaning between the teeth. Once in the bloodstream, it can travel to the heart. People at risk of infection might be more likely to develop IE from these activities than after a dental treatment.

Also, bacteria that cause infections can become resistant to antibiotics if those drugs are used too often. Because of this, doctors try to limit the use of antibiotics.
                              Patient selection

The current recommendations recommend use of preventive antibiotics before certain dental procedures for people with:

artificial heart valves
                              a history of infective endocarditis
                              a cardiac transplant that develops a heart valve problem
                              the following congenital (present from birth) heart conditions:*
                              unrepaired or incompletely repaired cyanotic congenital heart disease, including those with palliative shunts and conduits
                              a completely repaired congenital heart defect with prosthetic material or device, whether placed by surgery or by catheter intervention, during the first six months after the procedure
                              any repaired congenital heart defect with residual defect at the site or adjacent to the site of a prosthetic patch or a prosthetic device.

* Check with your cardiologist if you’re not sure whether or not you fall into one of these categories.

People who took prophylactic antibiotics in the past but no longer need them include those with:

mitral valve prolapse
                              rheumatic heart disease
                              bicuspid valve disease
                              calcified aortic stenosis
                              congenital (present from birth) heart conditions such as ventricular septal defect, atrial septal defect and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Talk to your dentist about how these recommendations might apply to you.
                              Additional resources

American Heart Association downloadable wallet card (available in English and Spanish)
                              For the Dental Patient: Antibiotics and Your Heart

Return to Top
                              Recommendations for People with Total Joint Replacements

Recommendations from the AAOS are meant to reduce the risk of infections at the site of an artificial joint. They apply to people who have total joint replacements. Patients who have pins, plates or other orthopedic hardware are not affected.

AAOS recommends that dentists and physicians should consider whether patients who have total joint replacements should take antibiotics before certain types of dental procedures.Talk to your dentist about how these recommendations might apply to you.
                              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
                                Recommendations from the AAOS are meant to reduce the risk of infections at the site of an artificial joint. They apply to people who have total joint replacements. Patients who have pins, plates or other orthopedic hardware are not affected.
                                Precisely what our surgeon told me.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                                X