• Show
Clear All

• Thanks everyone for your good wishes

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Melissa, you are in my thoughts. I hope the trial is going your way. ((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

• Melissa--
        My thoughts too! Hang in there and know we are all hoping and praying for the best! Janet
        Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
        Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
        Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
        Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
        T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

• Strehgth!!

Hi Melissa,
          I don't know where you draw your strength~~~all I know is you are an inspiration to me. You have been through so much my dear, that frankly I am amazed. Hang in there and this too will pass. I have you in my prayers. Hope that you're surviving alright as far as all your health issues. Those I can relate to. Warm thought of you, Linda
          Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
          Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
          This started adult onset scoliosis
          July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
          Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
          Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
          May 30th 2013 revision
          May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
          May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Thinking of you. We haven't heard from you in quite awhile.
            I hope everything is okay.

HUGS!
            Be happy!
            We don't know what tomorrow brings,
            but we are alive today!

Comment

• Thanks everyone for your kind messages and prayers

We got home Thursday. We were in NJ for 10 days. Now we wait until June 5th for the decision

Melissa
              Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
                I'm glad you are home, safe and sound.
                I hope things go your way after the trial. But, if they don't, it is past you now.
                You can quit worrying about this trial. It's done and over with so you can get on with life.
                One less burden to bear can help tremendously!

HUGS!
                Rohrer01
                Be happy!
                but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                  Melissa,
                  I'm glad you are home, safe and sound.
                  I hope things go your way after the trial. But, if they don't, it is past you now.
                  You can quit worrying about this trial. It's done and over with so you can get on with life.
                  One less burden to bear can help tremendously!

HUGS!
                  Rohrer01
                  Thanks for the advice

Melissa
                  Melissa

Comment

• Well, I have two surgeries scheduled. I am having my right hand fixed with carpel tunnel on June 12 . Then on July 10, I have having my right knee replaced. My daughter has told us that on July 9th, she is leaving us to live with these people she found in IL. I am upset so this way at least I will be gone the first days that she is gone.
                    Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
                      I know several people who've had the surgery for carpel tunnel syndrome. While it's not that bad, it does still hurt for awhile. I hope a month is long enough to recover before your knee surgery.

A friend of ours just had knee surgery. For the first month and a half he regretted it, THEN he started feeling better. Now he can't wait until the fall to have his other knee done. He has to work during the summer so can't have it done now. It was a very painful recovery. But, compared to what you've been through with your back, hip twice, and broken femur, I'm sure it won't be all that bad. He'd never had any surgery before. I don't care what they do, it hurts for awhile.

I'm also sorry about your daughter leaving. It's hard to be away from grandkids. Hopefully, she will send pictures or keep in touch via Skype. But remember who it was that she ran to when she needed help in having this baby. You'll always have those memories. She shared her pregnancy and birth of her daughter with YOU. That's a real honor.

Take care!

P.S. I also have surgery scheduled on June 13. It's female stuff, but always ends up being very painful. Having my gallbladder out was a piece of cake in comparison.

HUGS,
                      Rohrer
                      Be happy!
                      but we are alive today!

Comment

• Originally posted by rohrer01 View Post
                        Melissa,
                        I know several people who've had the surgery for carpel tunnel syndrome. While it's not that bad, it does still hurt for awhile. I hope a month is long enough to recover before your knee surgery.

A friend of ours just had knee surgery. For the first month and a half he regretted it, THEN he started feeling better. Now he can't wait until the fall to have his other knee done. He has to work during the summer so can't have it done now. It was a very painful recovery. But, compared to what you've been through with your back, hip twice, and broken femur, I'm sure it won't be all that bad. He'd never had any surgery before. I don't care what they do, it hurts for awhile.

I'm also sorry about your daughter leaving. It's hard to be away from grandkids. Hopefully, she will send pictures or keep in touch via Skype. But remember who it was that she ran to when she needed help in having this baby. You'll always have those memories. She shared her pregnancy and birth of her daughter with YOU. That's a real honor.

Take care!

P.S. I also have surgery scheduled on June 13. It's female stuff, but always ends up being very painful. Having my gallbladder out was a piece of cake in comparison.

HUGS,
                        Rohrer

Hope your surgery goes well. The head of the orthopedic department at UCI is doing my hand surgery and he feels that I should be healed by then. I had my left hand done years ago and it was a very easy recovery. I hope that this is as easy as that went
                        Melissa

Comment

• I received my foot brace. I have drop foot. I , also, have lymphdema and my surgeon wants me to get a pump. However, my insurance does not cover it and it is $4400.
                          Melissa

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                            I received my foot brace. I have drop foot. I , also, have lymphedema and my surgeon wants me to get a pump. However, my insurance does not cover it and it is $4400.
                            What kind of pump? Is it something that you wear at night to keep the fluids pushed up and out of your legs?
                            My step-dad also had knee replacement surgery. He now has some pretty bad edema in his lower leg. He went to a quack as far as I'm concerned. He never even took Tylenol for knee pain and doctor shopped to find someone who would replace his knee. I don't know why he did it. He's having the other one done this year sometime and he doesn't limp or need a cane or anything.

I hope with your lymphedema, the knee replacement doesn't make it worse. If your doc wants you to have a "pump", there are persuasive ways to get insurance companies to pay, like saying they will put you in a more expensive treatment plan that the insurance company CAN'T deny. My doc did that once for me. He got the insurance to pay for "Ensure" nutritional supplement AND have at home monitoring during my pregnancy of my youngest son. They denied both at first so he just called them up and said he would put me in the hospital for the rest of my pregnancy if they wouldn't pay for those things...and he would have! I still had three and a half months to go until my due date. That insurance company flew an RN out from Phoenix to my rural home about 200 miles away to get me set up! Back in 1992 I had a $35,000 baby and my part was less than $2,000. That was a LOT back then. It ended in a C-section which was also more expensive.

So talk to your doctor about other more expensive options that can't be denied by the insurance company and share my story! LOL

I am REALLY concerned about you having this knee replacement surgery. You already have the edema. I would strongly recommend letting yourself heal a little more from your last major surgery. You have to get used to walking a new way every time you have a new joint prosthesis. Are you stable enough on your new hip to tackle a knee? You really need to consider this because you are already prone to falling. You don't want to surgery yourself into a situation where you can no longer walk at all.

Please be careful and thank you for your well wishes on my upcoming surgery.

Deeply concerned,
                            Rohrer01
                            Last edited by rohrer01; 06-01-2014, 12:29 PM.
                            Be happy!
                            but we are alive today!

Comment

• I am having the first of my 2014 surgeries. I am having my right hand carpel tunnel surgery. I am having it at 8am tomorrow,

Today I had my CT mylegram done. Results were sent to Dr Bederman and then I will find out what is causing the pain in my Left SIN Joint area and going down my left leg. This was the best CT Mylegram that I ever had
                              Melissa

Comment

• Today went very well. The surgical pain is not different than the pain I had before. So I hope that it can only get better

Thanks everyone for your good wishes
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X