No announcement yet.

September 9th surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes I have been fused that way since July 2011. It is not pleasant by any stretch of the imagination. Dr Bederman is trying to help me . If this surgery does not help me, he has a couple of other ideas that he can try. He really wants to help me.

Thanks Ed... How are you feeling? What did you decide to do about your pain situation?

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• I am taking Diclofenac and it is working ok. I still have arm pain but it is much less now. My left index finger is numb most of the time.

I will post a video on my neck thread from Dr Grossi from Duke. He answers many questions in this video.

I am going to wait....I think its all about frequency of pain events and how much we can tolerate. I can hang, but I will bet that I will be in trouble once again here in the near future. I am no stranger to disc problems.

Before my surgeries on my scoliosis, I suffered with major pain and waiting probably wasn’t a great idea. Now that my neck is acting up, it’s the exact opposite situation......Funny how these things work.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

• Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
        I am taking Diclofenac and it is working ok. I still have arm pain but it is much less now. My left index finger is numb most of the time.

I will post a video on my neck thread from Dr Grossi from Duke. He answers many questions in this video.

I am going to wait....I think its all about frequency of pain events and how much we can tolerate. I can hang, but I will bet that I will be in trouble once again here in the near future. I am no stranger to disc problems.

Before my surgeries on my scoliosis, I suffered with major pain and waiting probably wasn’t a great idea. Now that my neck is acting up, it’s the exact opposite situation......Funny how these things work.

Ed
        Ed, I wish you luck and hope that your pain situation stays the same for a while

Melissa
        Melissa

Comment

• I looked thru our new insurance plan and it does not cover the rehab at UCI. I now have to research the few that they do cover and decide
          Melissa

Comment

• Here they go again giving you another problem. You have been through so much---Why Make it harder!! I tried to send you a PM, but your box may be full. Let me know when I can do that--something I would like to ask. My prayers are going with you!Jackie
            T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
            C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
            T2--T10 fusion 2/11
            C 4-5 fusion 11/14
            Right scapulectomy 6/15
            Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
            To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
            Broken neck 9/28/2018
            Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
            Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
            Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
            Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
            Osteotomy

Comment

• Sorry to hear about this latest problem, Melissa. Hopefully you will find a good place that is covered.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

• Well I checked out the rehab places that are covered. HealthNet only covers places that are chains. All of them have gotten very bad reviews. Plus the fact that they are not the type of rehab that I am looking for or need. These places are either for older people or people with very serious injuries that they are healing from. I do not want a room mate on a ventilator. I am going to call Monday and see what my out of network benefits offer. Why can't my life be easier?

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and prayers

Melissa
                Melissa

Comment

• It'll work out, Melissa. It always has. =)
                  Be happy!
                  We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                  but we are alive today!

Comment

• so sorry to hear about your insurance woes.... I completely sympathize. I *HATE* having MY personal health care dictated by an insurance company - whose main concern is profit, for themselves. Which is the main reason I work. To have health benefits. I joke- I need a sign to hang over my work station " will work for health benefits"/ I have had enough experience with a middle man telling ME what I can and cannot have done. grrrrr...... sending sympathy & prayers that this surgery will correct your neck problems! jamie in TX
                    57 years old.
                    thoracic curve 68 degrees
                    lumbar-sacral curve +/- 41 degrees
                    Cspine C3- C7 fusion Nov. 2011 <done! success!!>, then scoli surgery T2- L4 or maybe to sacrum.
                    Discogram/ myelogram pending. Surgery to be scheduled, maybe fall 2015. <scared but I know this is not going to get better>
                    THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR SHARING EXPERIENCES AND KNOWLEDGE!

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                      Well, it looks like I will be celebrating my birthday , June 3rd, by having surgery.

Dr Bederman does not feel that having the catscan is that important.

Neck surgery does not have the blood loss issue as hip surgery does.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement and good wishes and prayers

Melissa
                      Melissa, I too will be having some revision done on June 3rd in Pittsburgh. I will keep you in my prayers, Krysi

Comment

Well I checked out the rehab places that are covered. HealthNet only covers places that are chains. All of them have gotten very bad reviews. Plus the fact that they are not the type of rehab that I am looking for or need. These places are either for older people or people with very serious injuries that they are healing from. I do not want a room mate on a ventilator. I am going to call Monday and see what my out of network benefits offer. Why can't my life be easier?

Thanks everyone for your good wishes and prayers

Melissa

Dear Melissa,

I’ve had several different insurance carriers over the years (not Healthnet), but whenever the services they preferred to offer (read: in-network) did not specifically address my child’s needs, I was able to request they place another agency temporarily “in-network.” Sometimes it was more work than others! I was able to do so at the basic level most often (first contact person told me what they required to make the written request) and other times I had to appeal the denial, also in writing. As a matter of course, I never accept an insurance company’s first denial—I appeal 3x without a second thought and to date have only been turned down once (it was a grey area request.)

The easiest way I’ve found to have an agency temporarily deemed in-network is if A) the services offered do not meet the needs as stated by the doctor and/ or B) the there is no other service within X number of miles available within network. (Distance is determined by your policy.)

FYI: I knew her pediatrician well and that he didn’t want to deal with paperwork anymore than necessary so I quickly learned to ask the insurance department specifically what the doctor needed to state to get the correct service, typed it up and gave it to the doctor to review, copy to their letterhead, and sign.

When time was of the essence, I would call the billing department of my daughter’s pediatrician and ask them if they wanted a small side job. I would pay them directly to process the request and they could get it taken care of very quickly. It didn’t cost much, reduced the stress that I didn’t need at that time allowing me to focus on my child’s needs. Since I’ve never worked with Healthnet, I don’t know how helpful this information will be….

Good luck.

A Mom

Comment

• I found out that I can use my out of network benefits to go to UCI Rehab . So things seem to be falling into place. So I have about 10 days to get everything done at home that needs to be .

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

• Melissa,
                            I am glad to hear that things are falling into place for you for this next surgery. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
                            Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

• That's great, Melissa. The rehab will help. Hope things keep going better for you. Thinking of you. Janet
                              Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                              Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                              Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                              Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                              T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I found out that I can use my out of network benefits to go to UCI Rehab . So things seem to be falling into place. So I have about 10 days to get everything done at home that needs to be .

Melissa
                                See! I told you it would work out. It always has, even though it's been a hard road. Sending you good thoughts and a positive spirit!

Hugs!
                                Be happy!
                                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                                but we are alive today!

Comment

Working...
                                X