X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    Melissa
    do you have a companion at home....?
    one who needs you...? like a dog or cat....?
    yes, they need care....but they are so good for people's health
    and that has been documented by science...
    petting dog or cat lowers blood pressure in 15 minutes...
    it does all kinds of other positive things too....
    just an idea....

wishing you better days very soon...
    jess....and Sparky
    Yes I have two cats. One who if I lay down, comes over to my side. If I did not have them, I would be very sad. I ,also, have 6 chickens. They live outside however.
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

• Originally posted by jackieg412 View Post
      Merry Christmas to you and your family. Hopefully you will have a good one. Just a quick question. I am fused like you and a month ago we added to my cervical. How long did it take you to swallow easily? It seems like such a problem.
      I had my back fused in 2010 from S1 to my sacrum. In 2011, I had my neck fused C2 to C5. My NC surgeon did not do a good job. When I moved to CA in July 2011, my current surgeon connected me in a very long surgery, about 15 hours. I do not recall having any problems swallowing , however.

I hope that your situation resolves itself soon.

Melissa
      Melissa

Comment

• I am doing ok. My neurologist who is out of the office for the holidays had her covering Doctor call me. She called a script into my drugstore and it seems to be helping my headache. I did spend 6 1/2 hours in the ER on 12/30 for no reason. They gave me 2 shots of IV diluadid. It did nothing for my headache. So , at least, my head is doing better.

I am in surgical pain , which as I am only 3 1/2 weeks out of surgery is not unusual. I have asked Dr Bederman for a Diluadid script as I feel the morphine is too strong.
        Melissa

Comment

• I am having Botox injections tomorrow which should help with my migraine. I saw Dr Bederman for my first post op visit last week and he said that it is looking good.

Melissa
          Melissa

Comment

• Good to hear Melissa! Let us know how to Botox injections go for your headache.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• I so wish that I could forgot about my back for even one day.
              Melissa

Comment

• Wow, Melissa!

It's been a long time since I've been on the board. I didn't know you had broken rod surgery. Isn't that almost like having surgery for the first time? Ouch! You are still healing from that. That's why you can't forget about your back. It hurts! I know the feeling of being in pain constantly, although for different reasons.

Isn't next month a lot too soon to be having another major surgery like that? But I'm hoping that the doctors know what they are doing. Maybe it will be like smashing your big toe to get your mind off of another pain, as they say, whoever "they" are! LOL

I wish you all the best. Hang in there!

very gentle (((hugs))),
                Rohrer01
                Be happy!
                We don't know what tomorrow brings,
                but we are alive today!

Comment

• Pain along rods

I think that Ed and I are fused the highest but I still will ask this question. My first surgery was in 2010 and then my second big surgery when I was fused to C2 was in 2011. I am always feeling the rods that are there. Sometimes they are painful and sometimes I just feel them. Is this normal?
                  Melissa

Comment

• It is hard to forget about the back . You have had so much. I too am fused in the cervical. Recently I added another cervical level. So I am fused like you I thought Ed hasn't had cervical yet. When I spoke to him maybe a year ago he was treating the cervical area and it was successful at that time. Did he have more fusion?
                    T10-pelvis fusion 12/08
                    C5,6,7 fusion 9/10
                    T2--T10 fusion 2/11
                    C 4-5 fusion 11/14
                    Right scapulectomy 6/15
                    Right pectoralis major muscle transfer to scapula
                    To replace the action of Serratus Anterior muscle 3/16
                    Broken neck 9/28/2018
                    Emergency surgery posterior fusion C4- T3
                    Repeated 11/2018 because rods pulled apart added T2 fusion
                    Removal of partial right thoracic hardware 1/2020
                    Removal and replacement of C4-T10 hardware with C7 and T 1
                    Osteotomy

Comment

• Well, I finally was able to post again. I wanted to update my life. I fell about three weeks ago and really hurt myself on my left side. My knee, hip, ankle and shoulder were all cut up. My ankle, knee, and hip are feeling better. However, my left shoulder is getting worse and now my neck is involved as well. Next week, Dr Bederman is taking Xrays to see if I did hurt myself bad.

On a good note, I went to NC, the week with snow and freezing weather, to see my granddaughter. We had a wonderful visit and we will be going back in two weeks. Traveling was not easy but Southwest Airlines made it easy.

Melissa
                      Melissa

Comment

• I'm so sorry to hear about your nasty fall. Hope it's just soft tissue damage - please let us know

But great news that you had a visit with your granddaughter - I can tell this has lifted your spirits.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

• I was so hoping that my Pain Management Doctor would give me a pain pump.I found out that with all of my hardware that I have in my back they cannot do it. it is too much of a risk for infection. I guess that I will be on drugs forever.
                          Melissa

Comment

• How scary to fall so soon after surgery! Please let us know the results of your X-rays.
                            I'm glad you got to visit your granddaughter, even with a long plane trip!
                            Sending prayers for pain relief.
                            Peg
                            61 yrs old
                            75 degree lumbar curve with thoracic kyphosis
                            T3 - S1 surgery with Dr. Buchowski in St. Louis, on 10/27/14
                            Working on healing in Columbus, Ohio!

Comment

• Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
                              I was so hoping that my Pain Management Doctor would give me a pain pump.I found out that with all of my hardware that I have in my back they cannot do it. it is too much of a risk for infection. I guess that I will be on drugs forever.
                              Melissa, I am so sorry to hear you can't have a pain pump. After reading your post I kinda got some answers I was wondering about when it came to using the pump in people like us. I have also been thinking I would love to have one and perhaps increase my quality of life. I'm sorry this was what they told you. I'm sure it would be the same for me. Sending healing thoughts your way. Sincerely, Linda
                              Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
                              Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
                              This started adult onset scoliosis
                              July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
                              Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
                              Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
                              May 30th 2013 revision
                              May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
                              May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

• Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
                                Melissa, I am so sorry to hear you can't have a pain pump. After reading your post I kinda got some answers I was wondering about when it came to using the pump in people like us. I have also been thinking I would love to have one and perhaps increase my quality of life. I'm sorry this was what they told you. I'm sure it would be the same for me. Sending healing thoughts your way. Sincerely, Linda
                                I did send Dr Bederman an email asking his opinion about pain pumps. I will let you know his answer.

Melissa
                                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                                X