One Year Post Op Checkup Perfect!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year Post Op Checkup Perfect!

Had my one year post op checkup yesterday in St Louis. Everything looks great in the xrays; nothing has moved or dislodged. I'm feeling great. I can now start playing golf, although I'm supposed to ease into it hitting irons only for awhile. Went out and hit about 50 golf balls with my PW, SW, 9, 8 & 7 irons this evening. It felt great, no pain. Everything is good! And I don't have to go back for a year! Good luck to everyone with upcoming surgeries!
    Age 56
    Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
    Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
    Thoracic 68
    Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
    Dr Bridwell St Louis
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Glad to hear that you are doing so great

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Congratulations on a great report! It has to be a wonderful feeling that everything is perfect with your x-rays. Was Dr. Bridwell able to point out fusion?
      I can't imagine what taking the first swing will feel like. When were you given permission to chip and putt? I started chipping and putting the first part of August (7 mos. post op) with the doctor and PT's okay, but I worry that I might be twisting or turning too much. I don't go further than 10 yards from the greens.

Did you think about turning more in one piece instead of the normal twisting when you were hitting balls or did everything just feel natural?
      Enjoy fall golf in Indy. It's the best time of the year to play in the Midwest.
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Hi Karen- I Was a little nervous about turning and swinging but it's getting easier. I just don't want to mess anything up. I did go out and play 9 holes yesterday using only my irons and hybrid; doesn't work real well on par 5's. It was fun though. Dr Bridwell told me to get a longer putter when he told me I could putt and chip at 6 months. It takes a little getting used to not bending over so much. Since I'm not fused at L2 and L3 he's trying to preserve those disks and give me more flexibility and just told me to be careful and not bend any more than I have to. And especially don't bend over to pick up anything. So I squat a lot. He even told me I could ski (snow) as long as I stayed on green slopes - no double black diamonds. I told him I only skied greens and easy blues before surgery so he didn't need to worry. I didn't take up skiing until my 40's and I'm not much of a risk taker so I never went beyond easy blues. It's just good to know that I've made it a year without messing anything up. I'm fusing but he said it takes a good 2 years to have a solid fusion. That's why I still have to be careful. I'll be up at Cog Hill next week for a couple days at the BMW Championship. Crooked Stick is hosting the BMW next year and I'm co-chairing admissions so some of us are going up to shadow those in charge of the same events this year. Looking forward to
        It. Have fun putting and chipping!
        Age 56
        Wore a Milwaukee Brace for 3 years in hs
        Fused L4-S1 for high grade spondylolisthesis Jan '09 in Indy
        Thoracic 68
        Surgery Aug 31, 2010 T3 to L1
        Dr Bridwell St Louis
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...1&d=1289881696

Comment

Lisa,
          We are planning to go to FL for golf the end of Feb. if I get a good report at my year check-up. I'll have to find a heated driving range in St. Louis to try to hit a few balls first. We might have to look for some par 3 courses or only play 9 holes in FL. If nothing else, the warm sun should feel good.

It sounds like fun to go to Cog Hill. We went to the BMW a couple of years ago when it was in St. Louis. When I hear "Crooked Stick", I always think of John Daly and his big win there. I'm sure it will be a lot of work for you when it's in Indy, but fun, as well.

Let me know when you think you can play 18 holes. I know I'll just have to see how it goes next year . . .
          Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
          Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
          70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
          Rib Hump-GONE!
          Age-60 at the time of surgery
          Now 66
          Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
          Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
          Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
          Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
          tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
          http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

Congratulations!!!

With all that extra metal in you now, I bet Tiger will have a hard time beating you!
            Discovered scoliosis when 15 years old.
            Wore Milwaulkee Brace for 1.5 years.
            Top curve 85 degrees, bottom curve 60 degrees

Surgery completed August 23, 2011 (during an earthquake, can you believe that?)
            Dr. Charles Edwards, II
            The Spine Center at Mercy Hospital in Baltimore, MD
            Before and after xrays:
            http://www.valley-designs.com/myspine

Comment

congratulations on great results!

by the way...i think Tiger has a hard time beating anyone these days....

jess

Comment

Hi Lisa,
                That is very impressive!!! I couldn't even think of swinging a club at 1 year post.

Congratulations
                Shari

Comment

Congratulations Lisa on your anniversary and wonderful recovery!
                  Laurie
                  Age 57
                  Posterior fusion w/thoracoplasty T2-L3 Oct 1, 2010
                  Thoracic curve corrected from 61* to 16*
                  Lumbar curve, unknown measurement
                  Disfiguring back hump GONE!!
                  Dr Munish Gupta
                  UC Davis Medical Center, Sacramento, CA

Comment

congrads lisa on a great report
                    Kara
                    Brace 4-15-05-5-25-06
                    Posterior Spinal Fusion 3-10-10
                    T4-L2
                    Before 50T
                    After 20T

Comment

Lisa,

So glad to hear it! We will have to get together soon and celebrate!

Evelyn
                      age 48
                      80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                      Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                      Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                      Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                      Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

Lisa,
                        That is wonderful news!!!! Im so glad everything is going well for you. lucky u got out of STL yesterday its raining here all day ,pretty dreary...LOL
                        My sons 1year appt is Monday, IM hoping he will lift some restrictions it has been so hard...IM curious about fusion too, I know he took xrays do they see the fusion parts??? or is it all healed or?????
                        Kelly
                        mom of Cameren 12 yrs. old
                        Chiari,retroflex odontoid,syringomyelia,scoliosis
                        Chiari decompressions 6/2005,5/2006
                        Syringopleural shunt 6/2009
                        Boston Braced off & on 6.5yrs
                        scoliosis surgery- 9/15/10 T4-L4 Dr. Bridwell
                        Fell & broke finger,surgery 3/2011

Comment

Working...
                        X