Thank you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you

This is my first posting even though I have been familiar with this forum for the past few months since my spinal fusion surgery. First of all, I am thankful for this forum. Two and a half years ago, my son had spinal fusion surgery due to his progressive scoliosis so I was very familiar with the surgery itself along with the terminology, etc. However, I was not well versed in the recovery phase at all. It seems like for kids, (at least in my son’s case) they bounce back so quickly from this surgery that the recovery issues are almost glossed over.

On the other hand, for me, I am now approaching my 4 month post-op point and continue to make progress in my recovery. I am grateful to those of you who discussed post-op things like muscle spasms, nerve pain, what it felt like, how it can be treated, etc. It gave me insight into what I was experiencing myself and helped me to know what was “normal” following this surgery and when to call my surgeon’s office without sounding totally clueless.

Also, thank you to those of you who are further out from your surgery dates and continue to post updates and encouragements. Your postings demonstrate to me, a “post-op newbie”, that it is possible to return to some of those activities that we love. We just have to allow our bodies to heal in their own unique way. As for me, among other things, I hope to return to the tennis courts someday.

So, for me, I personally do not know anyone who as an adult has had spinal fusion surgery to treat their scoliosis. It’s refreshing to have this forum to make me realize that I am not alone. Thanks again for your postings!
    Donna
    Female - 49 yrs old at surgery
    Surgery 5/5/11 - Dr. Bridwell, St. Louis
    Fused T3-L3
    60 degree thoracic curve corrected to 30 degrees
    Tennis player & returning to the courts!
    http://s1050.photobucket.com/profile/walkingmom1/index

Welcome!!! This forum has been a life saver for so many of us. No one understands like a fellow scoli patient. You sound like you are doing well. I had a huge change at 4-4 1/2 months, and I seem to remember that several others did, also. Things just keep getting better and better from here on out. I'm sure you will back to most of your favorite activities in no time at all!
    Jenee'-52
    Bend, Oregon

Braced 3 years in high school
    Lumbar 70'+ Thoracic 70'+
    I had 3" shrinkage in 6 months...

Surgery Jan 10, 2011
    9 hours
    T3 to S1 with pelvic fixation
    Both curves now 35'

Possible revison for Flatback Syndrome
    Non-fusion
    Loose/broken hardware-awaiting CT results

Here is the link to my before and after pics..
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt......&highlight=

Comment

Welcome to the forum. This forum was a huge support for me during my presurgery stressful days as well as post-surgery recovery days. I didn't know anyone else in our town of 9000 who had scoliosis, but have now been contacted by two ladies from Waterloo who have scoliosis and are considering seeing a surgeon. I have also been able to meet in person three people from the forum who also are Dr. Lenke's patients-Confused Mom (Evelyn), Laurie Anne, and Kathy. I was able to meet Kathy in St. Louis yesterday after her one year check-up with Dr. Lenke. She was a HUGE support for me during this ordeal. Are scoli people just naturally super nice?
      Karen

Surgery-Jan. 5, 2011-Dr. Lenke
      Fusion T-4-sacrum-2 cages/5 osteotomies
      70 degree thoracolumbar corrected to 25
      Rib Hump-GONE!
      Age-60 at the time of surgery
      Now 66
      Avid Golfer & Tap Dancer
      Retired Kdgn. Teacher

See photobucket link for:
      Video of my 1st Day of Golf Post-Op-3/02/12-Bradenton, FL
      Before and After Picture of back 1/7/11
      tap dancing picture at 10 mos. post op 11/11/11-I'm the one on the right.
      http://s1119.photobucket.com/albums/k630/pottoff2/

Comment

I'm glad you found this forum, and that you've decided to post! I have to agree-- I am so thankful for every person who is a part of this. A lot of us have great families and friends that we can talk to, but it's so different to talk with others who have actually gone/are going through the same things.

Originally posted by golfnut View Post
        Are scoli people just naturally super nice?
        Of course... or, at least, super cool. : D

I really hope that both you and your son are doing well now! And I hope you get back to tennis soon (and feel good doing it, too)!
        Katie

My blog: http://scoliosis-braceyourself.blogspot.com/
        My video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NG9hMohsU0

5 Boston back braces
        Spinal fusion- Nov. 17, 2009, senior year of high school
        52 and 57 degrees pre-surgery, 22 and 20 degrees post-surgery
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Shriners Children's Hospital, Chicago
        Back into volleyball and music as a senior in college!

Comment

Hi Donna,
          I want to welcome you to this forum as well!!! It really is a very special feeling when we FINALLY find someone that understands. Even though we all share the scoliosis diagnosis, we are all still very different.
          It is SO hard to explain to the 'not a scoli'.
          Now I just say, "I know what kind of pain you have when you have a miscarriage, but I have never had a child, so I can't describe that pain." So how can anyone, that has never had scoliosis, rods and screws in their spine, ETC.........!!!, ever understand exactly what we are trying to describe? And to me, the saddest part of all, is that, it's not their fault.

I'm still like a dog w/ a bone, when it comes to the fact, that not all of our dedicated, talented and educated medical professionals, still aren't aware that as adults, we can now be fixed!!! If nothing else, WE owe our fellow scoli's to help each other find their way to the path that can lead them in the right direction. And WE need to fight to bring Scoliosis "Back to the Future"... Foofer or Ed can think of something much more catchy!!!

Sorry I rambled again on this subject, but it just chaps my cheeks...
          Shari

Comment

Working...
          X