Dr. Jeffrey Rihn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Jeffrey Rihn

Has anyone used or heard of Dr. Jeffrey Rihn from Rothman Institute in Philadelphia? I am considering surgery and wanted to use Boachie Adjei in NY. He doesn't accept my insurance so he recommended Todd Albert at Rothman who
    recommended Jeffrey Rihn. Am interested if anyone has used him or heard of him? Thanks.
    Lisa
    60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
    58 years old

Originally posted by lisazena View Post
    Has anyone used or heard of Dr. Jeffrey Rihn from Rothman Institute in Philadelphia? I am considering surgery and wanted to use Boachie Adjei in NY. He doesn't accept my insurance so he recommended Todd Albert at Rothman who
    recommended Jeffrey Rihn. Am interested if anyone has used him or heard of him? Thanks.
    Lisa
    Why was Todd Albert not interested?
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Rothman

Hi Linda,
      You are obviously so knowledgeable and always looking to increase your knowlege, which is great. Todd Albert is now Director of Surgery so doesn't do many surgeries. He recommended Rihn (who he trained), but he is not an SRS doctor, or when I pressed them they also recommended Anderson (not recommended originally by Rothman because seeing him is slightly further for me to travel, which of course doesn't matter to me), but Anderson isn't an SRS doctor either.

The only person I am thus considering in the Philadelphia area is Clements, and will try Lonner and Errico in NY. Do you have any thoughts on Philadelphia doctors?

Also, did your leg pain affect your mobility? I am still trying to sort out that issue. Sounds like you got rid of it with surgery. Most on the listserv only mention lessening.

I can still walk and stand, but my abilities have seriously declined. I did only do one epidural, but I'm thinking an epidural isn't an appropriate solution to a problem that goes beyond pain to function, and also that I need to fix this while I'm walking so that I can fully gain back my abilities.

I have been impressed with your knowledge and caring and am interested in your thoughts. Thanks.
      Lisa
      Lisa
      58 years old

Comment

Rothman

Hi Linda,
        You are obviously so knowledgeable and always looking to increase your knowlege, which is great. Todd Albert is now Director of Surgery so doesn't do many surgeries. He recommended Rihn (who he trained), but he is not an SRS doctor, or when I pressed them they also recommended Anderson (not recommended originally by Rothman because seeing him is slightly further for me to travel, which of course doesn't matter to me), but Anderson isn't an SRS doctor either.

The only person I am thus considering in the Philadelphia area is Clements, and will try Lonner and Errico in NY. Do you have any thoughts on Philadelphia doctors?

Also, did your leg pain affect your mobility? I am still trying to sort out that issue. Sounds like you got rid of it with surgery. Most on the listserv only mention lessening.

I can still walk and stand, but my abilities have seriously declined. I did only do one epidural, but I'm thinking an epidural isn't an appropriate solution to a problem that goes beyond pain to function, and also that I need to fix this while I'm walking so that I can fully gain back my abilities.

I have been impressed with your knowledge and caring and am interested in your thoughts. Thanks.
        Lisa
        58 years old

Comment

hi lisa
          of all the surgeons i've consulted, i liked Dr Lonner the best...if/when i have surgery
          (T4-sacrum or T11-sacrum with pelvic fixation) it will be with Lonner....

i got no help from epidural injections...tried them 3 times....also tried nerve ablation,
          facet block, and a few other kinds of shots i've probably blocked out by now....the only
          ones that have helped me were botox shots in thoracic area, which stops the muscles
          from spasming....and in lumbar area, sacroiliac joint injections have given me pain relief...which is like a miracle, because no other treatments relieved my lumbar pain, which is
          intense....partly from the curves, but also from degenerative disc disease....i managed thescoli well until i herniated discs...then it went down hill pretty fast....

i wish you luck with the surgery....if you have to travel to NYC for it, at least you will be
          in excellent hands with Dr Lonner....

jess

Comment

Is Richard Balderston still practicing. He did a fellowship at Twin Cities, which is usually a pretty good pedigree. Also, David Clements did a fellowship at Hospital for Special Surgery, which is also pretty good.

My leg pain is completely gone.

--Linda
            Last edited by LindaRacine; 08-25-2011, 09:55 PM. Reason: I don't think my leg was amputated. DOH!
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post

My leg is completely gone.

--Linda
              Your leg was amputated?
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                Your leg was amputated?
                Well, no wonder it doesn't hurt! ;-)

OOPS!

Comment

More Info on Balderston

Linda and Jess,
                  Thanks. And thanks for the humor. Linda, Balderston no longer does scoliosis surgery and I believe instead he recommends someone in Maryland so it doesn't seem there is anyone he likes in Philadelphia. I made an appointment with Clements.

Great to hear that your leg symptoms disappeared.

Am I right that your advice is not to mess around with leg symptoms? Lonner's initial response given through his assistant was try epidurals, but I then I asked to speak to him and it's actually the band-aid response he suggests to make sure
                  patents are ready and satisfied.

I also just found out that I might have an excess of B6, which might explain some of my problem. I, of course, am checking that out first.
                  Lisa
                  58 years old

Comment

Working...
                  X