swollen legs- after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• swollen legs- after surgery

I have had swollen legs after my surgery in July. The 15 hour surgery. I had a doppler ultrasound yesterday to rule out blood clot . It was normal so they sent me home. My legs are so painful that I really cannot walk on them at all. I am seeing Dr Bederman on Monday as a post-op and a pre-op

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Originally posted by hdugger
    I think Linda had a similar problem.
    I hope to hear from her then regarding this issue .Thanks

Melissa
    Melissa

Comment

I did, but mine was because of lymphedema from the anterior incision. I don't think you can get lymphedema from a posterior approach.

Leg swelling is relatively common. How much walking have you been doing? Perhaps compression stocking would be helpful.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Me too!

I had a revision surgery last Oct. 2010, and after about a couple weeks I was getting out of the shower and my husband was helping me and he said I had really put on weight. I looked at my legs and they were huge . I went in to my GP and she prescribed some water pills.(lasix) It worked well and in a couple days it was better. I had all posterior surgery. Don't know for sure what caused it, but she said something about the blood transfusions and all the fluid they add to your system. I still don't understand. Anyway, good luck to you and hope this leg thing gets better. boomer
        Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
        Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
        This started adult onset scoliosis
        July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
        Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
        Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
        May 30th 2013 revision
        May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
        May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
          I had a revision surgery last Oct. 2010, and after about a couple weeks I was getting out of the shower and my husband was helping me and he said I had really put on weight. I looked at my legs and they were huge . I went in to my GP and she prescribed some water pills.(lasix) It worked well and in a couple days it was better. I had all posterior surgery. Don't know for sure what caused it, but she said something about the blood transfusions and all the fluid they add to your system. I still don't understand. Anyway, good luck to you and hope this leg thing gets better. boomer
          Thanks I will ask about Lasix pills on Monday

Melissa
          Melissa

Comment

weight gain~~

Yes, I accually had gained 20 lbs. when I went in to ask about the swollen legs! That's a lot of fluid. I was 132lbs. before the surgery and 155lbs. after.(I lost that fast after the lasix) I still can't believe I wasn't warned about this. I would think if it's a side effect of blood transfusion, that we should be told. And yes Malissa, it's very uncomfortable. Good Luck again! (I go Sept. 8th. for a consultation for my third major back surgery. It will be the second revision, if they can do it) I am walking almost completley bent over now. I will keep you in my prayers as, I know we all want the same thing. Just some quality of life. And thank God, I think you are on your way. Boomer
            Linda Brozik~~60 yrs. old at time of Lenke's first surgery. 62 now!
            Surgery 2006 L3/4 L4/5 double fusion/ instumentation/ With 2 cages
            This started adult onset scoliosis
            July 1st, 2010/ surgery ~~fused T10 to pelvis (long rods/ screws)
            Oct.20th 2010, extended rods to T4 / did osteotomy at L3
            Oct. 29th 2012 Dr. Lenke St. Louis Mo. T4 to sacrum osteotomy anterior cage L3/4 titanium rods
            May 30th 2013 revision
            May 8th cervicle surgery 2016
            May 31st Dr. Gupta revision 2017

Comment

Originally posted by babyboomer16 View Post
              Yes, I accually had gained 20 lbs. when I went in to ask about the swollen legs! That's a lot of fluid. I was 132lbs. before the surgery and 155lbs. after.(I lost that fast after the lasix) I still can't believe I wasn't warned about this. I would think if it's a side effect of blood transfusion, that we should be told. And yes Malissa, it's very uncomfortable. Good Luck again! (I go Sept. 8th. for a consultation for my third major back surgery. It will be the second revision, if they can do it) I am walking almost completley bent over now. I will keep you in my prayers as, I know we all want the same thing. Just some quality of life. And thank God, I think you are on your way. Boomer
              I am so sorry to hear that you are still hearing problems. I hope that this surgeon can help you. Before you give up, if this surgeon cannot help you , you should see Dr Bederman and get his opinion

I will keep you in my prayers

Melissa
              Melissa

Comment

I saw Dr Bederman yesterday and he does not want me to take Lasix this close to my next surgery ( 10 days). He said that we will address the problem after the
                next surgery

Melissa
                Melissa

Comment

Working...
                X