Thread: swollen legs- after surgery

swollen legs- after surgery

I have had swollen legs after my surgery in July. The 15 hour surgery. I had a doppler ultrasound yesterday to rule out blood clot . It was normal so they sent me home. My legs are so painful that I really cannot walk on them at all. I am seeing Dr Bederman on Monday as a post-op and a pre-op

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

December 8, 2014 - Another Broken Rod Surgery

Quote Originally Posted by hdugger View Post
    I think Linda had a similar problem.
    I hope to hear from her then regarding this issue .Thanks

Melissa
    Melissa

I did, but mine was because of lymphedema from the anterior incision. I don't think you can get lymphedema from a posterior approach.

Leg swelling is relatively common. How much walking have you been doing? Perhaps compression stocking would be helpful.

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Dilbert
    I'm sarcastic... what's your super power? --Unknown
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    If you've signed up and are having trouble posting, please check your spam folder. An email was sent to the email address which you subscribed. You have to follow the instructions in that email. Done that and still having trouble posting? Contact Joe O'Brien at jpobrien@scoliosis.org.

Me too!

I had a revision surgery last Oct. 2010, and after about a couple weeks I was getting out of the shower and my husband was helping me and he said I had really put on weight. I looked at my legs and they were huge . I went in to my GP and she prescribed some water pills.(lasix) It worked well and in a couple days it was better. I had all posterior surgery. Don't know for sure what caused it, but she said something about the blood transfusions and all the fluid they add to your system. I still don't understand. Anyway, good luck to you and hope this leg thing gets better. boomer

Quote Originally Posted by babyboomer16 View Post
    I had a revision surgery last Oct. 2010, and after about a couple weeks I was getting out of the shower and my husband was helping me and he said I had really put on weight. I looked at my legs and they were huge . I went in to my GP and she prescribed some water pills.(lasix) It worked well and in a couple days it was better. I had all posterior surgery. Don't know for sure what caused it, but she said something about the blood transfusions and all the fluid they add to your system. I still don't understand. Anyway, good luck to you and hope this leg thing gets better. boomer
    Thanks I will ask about Lasix pills on Monday

Melissa
    Melissa

weight gain~~

Yes, I accually had gained 20 lbs. when I went in to ask about the swollen legs! That's a lot of fluid. I was 132lbs. before the surgery and 155lbs. after.(I lost that fast after the lasix) I still can't believe I wasn't warned about this. I would think if it's a side effect of blood transfusion, that we should be told. And yes Malissa, it's very uncomfortable. Good Luck again! (I go Sept. 8th. for a consultation for my third major back surgery. It will be the second revision, if they can do it) I am walking almost completley bent over now. I will keep you in my prayers as, I know we all want the same thing. Just some quality of life. And thank God, I think you are on your way. Boomer

Quote Originally Posted by babyboomer16 View Post
    Yes, I accually had gained 20 lbs. when I went in to ask about the swollen legs! That's a lot of fluid. I was 132lbs. before the surgery and 155lbs. after.(I lost that fast after the lasix) I still can't believe I wasn't warned about this. I would think if it's a side effect of blood transfusion, that we should be told. And yes Malissa, it's very uncomfortable. Good Luck again! (I go Sept. 8th. for a consultation for my third major back surgery. It will be the second revision, if they can do it) I am walking almost completley bent over now. I will keep you in my prayers as, I know we all want the same thing. Just some quality of life. And thank God, I think you are on your way. Boomer
    I am so sorry to hear that you are still hearing problems. I hope that this surgeon can help you. Before you give up, if this surgeon cannot help you , you should see Dr Bederman and get his opinion

I will keep you in my prayers

Melissa
    Melissa

I saw Dr Bederman yesterday and he does not want me to take Lasix this close to my next surgery ( 10 days). He said that we will address the problem after the
    next surgery

Melissa
    Melissa