Anterior surgery - very scared

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anterior surgery - very scared

I know that I have had many surgeries this year and last and this is just a three hour surgery but I am scared of this surgery. I do not know why but I am. I am scared of the recovery. Dr Bederman says that after 5 days in the hospital, I will be able to go home and take care of myself. He says that this is a minor surgery. Is this accurate? Is it as minor as he says it is? I just want to know how I will feel when I awaken in recovery

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

You must be all surgeried-out Melissa. I can't help you because I didn't have anterior surgery but I can only reiterate what helped me when I was terrified of surgery. And that is, to look forward, to after the surgery, to the life you'll be able to lead with your back fixed. To finally not having pain ruling your life. To getting back to living. So try to look past this date, past the recovery, to better things to come, which you've well and truly earned. It gave me courage to get it over and done with and I hope it does for you too. Thinking of you and wishing you a smooth recovery and a great outcome.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Thanks Jennifer, I do not know what it is that is really bothering me. I just want it over

Melissa
      Melissa

Comment

Hi Melissa...

I essentially went home and took care of myself a week after my anterior and posterior surgery in January. I'm not sure how others have felt afterward, but I had no spine pain, and very little incision pain. Hope the same for you.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
          Hi Melissa...

I essentially went home and took care of myself a week after my anterior and posterior surgery in January. I'm not sure how others have felt afterward, but I had no spine pain, and very little incision pain. Hope the same for you.

Regards,
          Linda
          That sounds good. I hope that is what happens with me. How long did it take for you to drive?

Melissa
          Melissa

Comment

Originally posted by mabeckoff View Post
            That sounds good. I hope that is what happens with me. How long did it take for you to drive?

Melissa
            I think it was at 4 months, and only on days when I didn't take percocet (which was most days).

By the way, I'm feeling so great now. I'm still not perfect, but I don't expect to ever be that way. The little bit of sacrum pain I have is tolerable. I have some numbness issues, but they just don't bother me. I'm feeling so much better than I ever expected to feel. Hope you get there too!
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Melissa

Its normal to be scared but you know that he wouldn’t be doing this if he didn’t feel that it necessary. Since he is saying its minor, I wouldn’t worry too much. Just one more and you are finally done.

I have to admit that I have had no lower pain at all after my recovery, and I’m glad that it was done right in the first place.
              I also have permission to lift 100#, have shoveled yards of landscaping rock, and snow ski. If I can do all these things, it was worth it.

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Thanks everyone . I know that I need this surgery so I just have to get thru the next 15 days

Melissa
                Melissa

Comment

minor?

Hi, I had posterior May 9, anterior June 21, yes you can take of yourself, maybe not cook, but I had more pain then I though, not in the back. all around belly, and ride in a car 3 weeks, driving was my call after 3 weeks, I did drive in 5 weeks. I was not told it is minor, and I did Not thing it was, but I feel great and it was worth it, good luck, Lu

Comment

Melissa,
                    My anterior surgery took 7 hours, but recovery was a piece of cake compared to my posterior surgery. You have recovered so quickly from your posterior surgery, I wouldn't expect that recovery from this surgery would be any different. Take heart Melissa, you have a lot of friends on this forum rooting and praying for you. I wasn't scared because I was still on a lot of meds, but I think it is very normal to feel scared.
                    Sally
                    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Keep in mind what a difference it makes, having a great surgeon. Your posterior recovery has been nothing short of amazing. I think Dr. Bederman knows what he's doing and saying. Have faith in him and look forward to better times. As others have said, we're all rooting for you. Hope you get that "calm" in the last few days, Melissa.

Comment

Melissa,

I don't blame you for being scared, it's only human nature. You've been through so much already, but I know you can get through this. You are one tough lady, and if your surgeons thinks this is minor, you'll fly through it. Before you know it this will all be behind you.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I am seeing both surgeons on Monday. The vascular surgeon , and Dr Bederman. I am still very frightened about this surgery and I really do not understand why. My surgery ,last month, was so much more intense and I felt calm and serene in the last several days before the surgery. Part of it , I guess, is that I was in such severe pain before that surgery and now I am feeling so much better . I know that they both know what they are doing and I just have to keep on saying that until I believe it that I am feeling more assured about this surgery.

Thanks for everyone's good thoughts and prayers

Melissa
                          Melissa

Comment

I really think that I am having a nervous breakdown. All I seem to be able to do is cry and sleep, nothing else. I miss my daughter and my friends in NC and my friends in NJ and my friends in NY.I am tired of being dependent on other people to help me. I am tired of being in a brace. I am so alone in life. I am married to a man who is mentally ill and will not get help. Both of my parents are gone and I have no other relatives to lean on. I only have my 16 year old son and I do not want to lean on him too much

Melissa
                            Melissa

Comment

I'm so sorry to read that you're suffering so much at the moment. Just when things are starting to work themselves out scoli-wise, for you. But after all you've been through and are still going through, it's not surprising that cracks are appearing. Melissa, please tell your GP what you have told us. You don't have to suffer. There is help to be had, and I think you should take it. You need your strength for this next surgery. There's no shame in asking for help. Nearly all of us do, at some stage of our lives. I just wish I could offer something more practical. Just as you are "getting there" with your back, you will also "get there" in your private life. Time to sort things out is coming. Just not quite yet. Please ask your GP to help and make this road as easy for yourself as humanly possible. *hugs* Jen

Comment

Working...
                              X