No announcement yet.

Prayer Request for Aug 24 Appt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How are you feeling? I was happy to read about your earring blog.

Doreen[/QUOTE]

Thanks Doreen for asking about me. I am doing OK. I am having some pain in my neck and lower spine as well as pain from my swollen legs. I am also very nervous about my upcoming anterior surgery

Melissa
    Melissa

Fused from C2 - sacrum 7/2011

April 21, 2020- another broken rod surgery

Comment

Originally posted by Doreen1 View Post
      Thank you so very much for the prayers! I had a great meeting with the endocrinologist today. He said I am very healthy but have a bad gene which caused the degenerative issue in a few of my disks. He explained that my bone density is completely normal except for the few disks in my lumbar area. I have a plan A and two Plan B's.

Plan A: Doc prescribed Forteo; however, we do not know if my insurance will pay for it or not. If it is not covered, the monthly cost is $1k and the full treatment cycle is 24 months (daily injections for 2 years). Doc said sometimes the insurance companies only approve one month. Doc also said if coverage is denied he will fight the insurance company on my behalf. He said that since I am .01 less than the osteoporosis range, the insurance company might try to deny it. He explained that if that happens, he will show them a breakdown of each disk to show that I have a couple of disks that are well into the osteoporosis range. The bone density results take the average of the measurements and this average measurement is where I'm .01 less than osteoporosis. I will know within 48 hours what my insurance decision is.

Plan B: If Forteo is completely denied, there are two other medications that work, but not as fast. These other medications do not require special approval like the Forteo does so they won't be denied by my insurance.

The doctor said it is really good that I'm seeing Dr. Lenke for a second opinion. He knows Dr. Lenke and Dr. Bridwell because they worked at Washington University in St. Louis for 18 years. He said I have great muscle definition and that the yoga is doing great for my body and to keep it up. I asked what happens to the new bone that forms at the end of the 2 year Forteo cycle. He it goes away very quickly but there are meds that will maintain the new bone.

Tick tock, waiting for the call from the insurance company.

Warmly,
      Doreen
      If the insurance denies the good drug, is there a way that the drug company can help offset the costs? It's worth a shot, don't you think?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

check this out:

http://www.forteohcp.com/Pages/forteo-connect.aspx

Comment

Thank you for the link, Debbie, unfortunately, I don't qualify for any of their programs on the link due to income.

I couldn't wait anymore so I called the special pharmacy that is required by my insurance company to get Forteo. It seems some folks dropped the ball in my doctor's office because there is missing information that the pharmacy needs in order to move forward. It will be a while before I know anything, could be a few weeks. *sigh*

Warmly,
          Doreen
          44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
          Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
          2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

any word yet? I keep checking on your posts, I really hope you get approved!

It amazes me how expensive these drugs are...it always seems the things that can help us the most are the ones that cost SOOO much. And insurance companies don't seem to get how important prevention is. My 2 long-term asthma meds keep me from needing to go to the hospital...but they are not covered by my insurance. If I go to the hospital, they have to cover that...but they won't pay for the meds that would keep me out of it. It doesn't make sense. If your insurance would cover this medicine, and allow you to have this surgery, it would likely keep you from having much worse, and much more costly problems and hospital bills in the future...but they probably won't see it that way. I like the way your dr wants to fight for you. That's a great dr, I love it when they understand that if they don't get involved, you won't get the treatment you need. Hope they get it sorted out soon!

Anyway...you're in my prayers!
            Rebecca
            Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
            wore night bending brace as teenager
            Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
            herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
            fusion L2-3 November 2008
            Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
            Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
            Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
            gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
            Before and After X-rays
            My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

I just received a voicemail today from the insurance company saying they approved the Forteo!! Praise God! I hope to have it delivered Tuesday.

For those who are/were on Forteo and have traveled by air, how do you handle the security check with the Forteo since it needs to be constantly refrigerated? Did you need a letter from your doc?

Have a great weekend, Rebecca.

Warmly,
              Doreen

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011

Comment

Good news about the Forteo.

My daughter travels with meds that need refrigeration. Try using frozen fruit or vegetables so it is a solid block and not liquid in any way. Use a small insulated lunch bag. By the time you get to your destination, you will have your cold med and something to eat. This works for her when she flies.

Here's hoping for great results with the new med.

Irene

Comment

What great news!!!!! So happy for you! What an answer to prayer....now we can pray that it starts working immediately =)
                  Rebecca
                  Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                  wore night bending brace as teenager
                  Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                  herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                  fusion L2-3 November 2008
                  Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                  Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                  Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                  gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                  Before and After X-rays
                  My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you, Rebecca. I'm praying my body responds positively to Forteo.

Warmly,
                    Doreen

Comment

GREAT News!!! I hope it does the trick!

Comment

Originally posted by backissues View Post
                        Good news about the Forteo.

My daughter travels with meds that need refrigeration. Try using frozen fruit or vegetables so it is a solid block and not liquid in any way. Use a small insulated lunch bag. By the time you get to your destination, you will have your cold med and something to eat. This works for her when she flies.

Here's hoping for great results with the new med.

Irene
                        What a great idea! There are these little GoGo Applesauce pouches that I can pop into the freezer. I'll try these when I travel to see Dr. Lenke next month.

Warmly,
                        Doreen

Comment

It's great to read such good news. Best of luck with it Doreen!
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                          X