Value of EMG/CT Myelogram/Standing and mobility issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value of EMG/CT Myelogram/Standing and mobility issues

I've posted about my leg symptoms before. Now, I am getting closer to committing to surgery. Because of my leg symptoms Lonner sent me to a neurologist. He now tells me he understood my leg symptoms all along, but was just being prudent.

The neurologist recommended a new EMG (Lonner thought useless) and a CT myelogram (Lonner doesn't usually recommend, but thought could be helpful) in that order.

EMG: I took the EMG today and the good news is it was normal--no damage to worry about, but I got the impression that the neurologist now thought the symptoms in my head or not explainable. Last year my symptoms were less and the EMG showed chronic radiculopathy and slight peroneal nerve damage. I know one person on the forum told me that they had a normal EMG, yet had nerve symptoms. Can anyone else report this?

CT Myelogram Now, the neurologist thinks the myelogram won't show anything in addition to the MRI--nothing to explain the nerve symptoms. One person kindly shared their myelogram experience with me, and they found it valuable. Anyone else take a myelogram and was it useful? I'm told it might also clarify whether another an epidural might be helpful though at this point with issues with walking distances and standing I doubt that will resolve anything.

Disability and Scoliosis The neurologist is now making me feel like my symptoms are in my head. Anyone else have this experience? And how often does scoliosis cause some disability? Is it always clearly clearly explained?

I am moving really close to surgery, but would like some objective evidence that the scoliosis is related to my leg issues. I realize this may just be a leap of faith.
    I'm getting the feeling that few doctors other than scoliosis surgeons understand scoliosis and its manifestations.

Thanks in advance.
    Lisa
    Left thorocolumbar curve - 60, compensating curve of 30
    Just turned 58 in August
    60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
    58 years old

Hi Lisa,

I'm not sure what your leg symptoms are, but ask your neurologist to check your B12 levels. A year ago I met with neurologist because I was having MS symptoms. After many tests, neurologist discovered my B12 levels were extremely low and put me on weekly injections of 1,000mcg B12. Recently my leg and arm went numb for several days. Surgeon and orthopedic doc didn't think it was related to spine since the numbness started at my knee and elbow. What happened was, there was an accidental change in B12 dosage when I shifted from weekly injections to weekly B12 nasal spray. The spray product was 1/2 the dosage I normally had with the injections. Within a couple of days shifting back to injections, the numbness went away. I've heard low B12 levels are often overlooked and can cause a LOT of debilitating symptoms.

Warmly,
    Doreen
    44 years old at time of surgery, Atlanta GA

Pre-Surgery Thorasic: 70 degrees, Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 68 degrees, lost 4 inches of height in 2011
    Post-Surgery curves ~10 degrees, regained 4 inches of height

Posterior T3-sacrum & TLIF surgeries on Nov 28, 2011 with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis
    2 rods, 33 screws, 2 cages, 2 connectors, living a new life I never dreamed of!

http://thebionicachronicles.blogspot.com/

Comment

Actually checked for B6

Hi Doreen,
      Thanks for your thoughts. I have to check, but I think I was checked for B12 last year. The neurologist did have blood drawn today for B6. He said sometimes too much causes problems. They draw blood and put it in a tube covered in brown paper. For some reason blood checked for B6 shouldn't be exposed to the light. I will check to see if my B12 was checked.

I get soreness at the bottom and top of my foot and twitching after walking, and tightness and not numbness but sometimes binding in my feet and weakness. Activity worsens symptoms so i can walk and my walking looks normal, but doesn't feel normal so am limited in distances i walk without bringing on long-lasting discomfort. I also feel that standing really aggrevates my symptoms. But, nerve-related symptoms are so hard to explain.
      Lisa
      60 degree thorocolumbar curve beginning at T12
      58 years old

Comment

hi lisa
        i haven't had surgery...yet...but if/when, it will be with Dr Lonner...
        i liked him the best out of all the surgeons i consulted with...several in NYC, and one in
        LA..

i had a myleogram years ago...maybe 5 years....to give a better picture of my spine, not
        for surgery...it gave the most info of any test i ever had...i have had several
        EMG's too...personally, i find them useless...don't know that they ever told a doctor
        anything he didn't already know about my back....
        the myleogram didn't hurt...you jsut ahve to be sure to lay still afterwards for as long as
        they tell you to, to avoid the dreaded spinal headache....i followed directions, and i was
        fine....

i don't know if you have other problems with your spine besides scoli...i have bad discs,
        spinal stenosis, rotation, listhesis, hypokyphosis....and the myleogram showed all of it
        more clearly than the MRI did....

i requested minimally invasive approach...Dr Lonner agreed to do partially MI approach
        on me...i need back and side incisions....side for disc replacement with "cages"....

you will be in the best hands with Dr Lonner.....

oh...the stuff about "all in your head"...please walk away from any doctor who tells you that....
        i suffered with Lyme Disease symptoms that no one figured out for a year and a half....they told me it
        was all in my head....til i was finally diagnosed...by then, i needed a wheel chair....never once did any of the idiot doctors say "we know you are sick but we cant figure it out"...they said "we tested you for AB & C and it says negative, so you are not sick"....it was that they didn't know what to test for that was
        the problem...it was never "all in my head"!! trust your body....doctors hate to admit when they
        cannot figure something out...so they blame the patient rather than themselves....

jess
        Last edited by jrnyc; 08-19-2011, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X